First spyderco, kinda disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tetraodon

First spyderco, kinda disappointed

Post by tetraodon »

So first post so take it for what it's worth.

In the last couple weeks I got my first spyderco knives. I bought one myself and got one as a gift. Both are endura 4s, one is the all stainless the other is with black FRN scales. No stranger the knives, I've carried the same knife for 7 years. Never any issues. After doing a lot of reading I finally settle on the model, steel and grind; endura 4, vg10, and sabre grind. Anyway, I received my first knife with the FRN a week before the all stainless. The all stainless was given to me this past Friday. I always carry a knife so I put both in my pocket, all stainless front right hand, FRN back right hand and my 7 year knife left front, I used the knives for light food prep, cutting tomato, squash, zucchini, and bread. The knives where washed with dawn soap and water, hand dried and put into my drying rack for an hour or so while I ate. Then made sure they where dry and put them back into my pockets. Monday i used the knives to cut boxes, tape, and such at work. Then yesterday I sat down at lunch and took them out to admire, that's when I noticed rust on both knives. The all stainless had some near the pivot and some needle tip spots before the grind, the FRN had pin spots all over the primary bevel as well as the locking notch. Both knives got a good soaking in wd40, a scrub, and a coat of wd40. Back into my pockets, and today the rust is back. I'm at a loss, I've only dealt with rust a couple of times in the last 7 years with my previous knife. I really haven't neglected the knives, I've barely even used them. It's discouraging to have knives that are so well regarded fall short, was it something I've done wrong or is it the norm for vg10 to need to babied?

Thabks for any help
mrtodd777

Re: First spyderco, kinda disappointed

Post by mrtodd777 »

Thats very strange. I have used my Endura for all sorts of cutting tasks, and have never had any rust issues. Did these knives come from a reputable dealer?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definitely different from my experience with VG-10. Used a VG-10 Stretch for food prep at work for about five years. Aside from my choice of detergent, I treated it much as you treated your Enduras and never found a single spot of rust.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tetraodon

Post by tetraodon »

The knife I purchased was from knife center, not sure where the all stainless came from but they both are genuine. It usually hovers 60-90% humidity here and also have always sweat alot, but like I said the only times my other knife rusted was in the several weeks long trip in the everglades with no TLC,
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Welcome! I also agree that I have not had any rust issues with my Endura, or VG10 in general. I live in Florida (home of humidity) and use my Endura pretty much daily for food prep and other tasks. It's my beater knife and I put it through ****. Due to the amount of food prep, I hardly ever oil it except with a tad of olive oil (of all things haha) on the pivot. I do keep it clean though.

If you like the Endura, maybe think about the Pacific Salt. You can then forget about any rust issues at all!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don't wash the pivot, or if you do, blow dry it, and putting it in a rack to dry? Not sure why you're unimpressed with the knives.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have used mine in salt water and never an issue. I do not baby my VG-10 in any way. Where did you buy the knives? Can you post some pictures of the knives, tang stamps, and etc?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've seen very small spots of rust on my VG10 Delica, but had been hiking in heavy rain and didn't do anything to protect it. Regardless, the spots are no longer there and I've never had issues with any other VG10 knifes, which spend a lot of time as "beaters".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If you're really that concerned about rust or maybe you live in that kind of climate, try wiping the blades down with a light coating of food grade mineral oil. If you insist on washing your knives I would suggest avoiding getting water in the pivot and they really need blown out with a can of air or air compressor. On knives that I use for food prep I only wash the blade and then wipe dry and this sort of thing never happens. My only rust problems have been from carrying knives when I'm outdoors in the rain for long periods and the pocket my knife is in is soaking wet and the knife is in that pocket wet for 8+ hours.

Regardless, I think this is something you should maybe blame yourself for and not so much the knife (trying to think of a gentler way to word that so it doesn't sound like I'm bashing you). VG10 is pretty well known as a very corrosion resistant steel. It's not rust proof, but it usually takes some kind of mistake on the user's part to get it to rust. I would just evaluate the way you're washing them and be more thorough when drying. I'd also look into a better lube for the pivots than WD40. I've used WD40 for spraying out knives this way but I would still add a drop of lube afterwards.

If all else fails maybe the best option for you and how you use your knives is H1. You're not going to have this issue with a Pacific Salt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I work in a gym with no AC, in the ungodly humidity of MD, and carry a full SE Delica inside my front waistband daily. Sometimes I forget it's there and work out with it still in my waistband. If I go a few days without cutting anything, it doesn't get opened, wiped off, or inspected to see if there is any rust. Most cutting is box related, and tape residue gets left on the blade, although the blade doesn't ever touch food acids. If it does get opened, my hands are likely sweaty, but I don't wipe off the blade. So far, in the year or so that I've been carrying it this way, I've experienced no rust whatsoever.

It is entirely possible that the OP is having rust issues with VG-10, so I'm not naysaying. I'm just adding another data point from my experience, and one that I feel is a pretty good testament to VG-10's corrosion resistance.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, Tetraodon. :)

It is odd that you have experienced the rust issues with VG-10 like that. I am wondering if perhaps you inadvertently received a fake Endura? If it is a genuine model, I agree with several of the others' recommendation to always keep the blade/pivot dry after you wash the blade. (After washing a knife with soap and water, I generally blast the pivot/blade with my air compressor). Always remember too that even stainless steels have a propensity to rust/corrode if they are left in a wet or moist environment for a length of time. Body sweat/moisture can also cause rust issues over time. I agree with David that a Salt knife (like a Salt 1 or Pacific Salt) may be a better option for you as these blades are made from rust-proof H1 steel.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have to think something was left (even if unintentionally) on the blade. VG10 is EXTREMELY corrosion resistant. None of mine have even hazed with patina let alone have formed rust spots.

I would scrub it down with a little Flitz polish. If you don't have that I've removed mild rust spots with a terry cloth and some tooth paste. Just clean the blade when you are done
AlanC101

Post by AlanC101 »

I also live in Florida, South Florida near the Everglades and I have never had rust issues. I carried a vg-10 delica for 2 or 3 years. I have lots of Spyderco knives in different steals and none have rusted.
tetraodon

Post by tetraodon »

thanks for all the replies, and no harm no foul. the knife ive had for the last 7 years is an AUS-8 steel and based on my research the VG10 should be more resistant than the AUS-8. ill get some pictures but the reflection plays **** with the camera on my phone but i did get some and ill post them when i can get onto a computer. i did hear about fakes and looked at some examples and im certain they are genuine, it could very well be my mistake, but i want to be sure about why it happened and what i need to do beyond the normal maintenance i do. i want to make sure these knives get a fair chance,
Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Want to also suggest a Pacific Salt. I live in SW FL and take it out fishing using it to cut bait, fish, etc. and wipe the blood/guts off the blade with a wet rag dunked in the ocean. When I get home I rinse it with fresh water out and blow any remaining water with my air compressor. So far not a hint of rust anywhere. If you get a PS get the serrated version; several people have stated that it holds an edge better.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've gotten rust on my S90V Yojimbo 2 and on my S110V Manix 2, both of those steels are way up there in corrosion resistance. It's easy to feel like there's some fault with the knife when your experience with another knife with less corrosion resistant steel didn't rust, but I would just be more diligent in cleaning and drying and move on. Knife remorse really sucks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

Guys, It doesn't sound to me like this is user error... his care methods are certainly within reason...

Waiting to see pics, but first blush speculation is manufacturing dust remnants?

Idk... just speculating.
tetraodon

Post by tetraodon »

Image. You can see the primary and secondary bevels, towards the tip of the knife on the flat sections you can see spots, those are pin sized rust spots.

Image. Close up of the all stainless tang stamp, you can see the red halo of my macro adapter, inside the halo you can see the rust.

Someone mentioned manufacturing dust, the discolored spots don't wipe away, took wd40 and scrubbing to remove, since I posted the topic the spots haven't gotten larger, a quick look at the knife and you'll miss them completely. But where rust starts it'll get a foot hold and increase. I might also be over reacting. Which is why I chose to join and post here instead of slandering.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Welcome to the forum. I have owned Spyderco Endura 4's for years now and do not see any rust whatsoever and I have used them to cut open and dismantle cardboard boxes, cut food items, and more and I have not seen rust. Not to be a naysayer on this at all but the VG10 steel and the Spyderco manufacturing methods are supreme. Any news on this?
mattman

Post by mattman »

I didn't mean that it was 'dust' in the everyday sense... I meant steel 'dust' from manufacturing operations, of other, less stainless materials, that may have settled on your blade, then began rusting when you put it in service.

On another note, how long has it been since a sabre-ground FRN Endura was available? (other than the waved model) Aren't they all flat ground for the last four years or so?