How to improve the Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mikael Andersson

How to improve the Manix 2

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.

Make all of the parts of the axis lock out of metal.

Remove the spyderhole... the axis lock makes it redundant.

And finally... increase the blade length to 3.46'' but don't change the handle.

Would this qualify it to be called the Manix 3?
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
demoncase

Re: How to improve the Manix 2

Post by demoncase »

Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

In what way is the axis lock better than the existing Manix lock?
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I like the CBBL more than the Axis Lock, so I wouldn't see that as an improvement. I also don't think most people would find any functional difference in a blade increase of 1.88 mm (86 to 87.88). Seems like it would be a colossal waste of time and effort to retool a factory for such purpose. On another note...which model are you going to suggest adding ~2 mm to the blade of next? You seem to be on a roll.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Mikael Andersson

demoncase wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:Put the axis lock on it... Benchmades patent recently expired.
go on- I'll bite.

With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
go on- I'll bite.

With the axis lock you can put your thumb and index finger on the buttons of the axis lock and flick the knife open using your wrist much faster than you can open it with the spyderhole and the same thing goes for closing the knife.
I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.

---> Branden
Mikael Andersson

3rdGenRigger wrote:I like the CBBL more than the Axis Lock, so I wouldn't see that as an improvement. I also don't think most people would find any functional difference in a blade increase of 1.88 mm (86 to 87.88). Seems like it would be a colossal waste of time and effort to retool a factory for such purpose. On another note...which model are you going to suggest adding ~2 mm to the blade of next? You seem to be on a roll.
Current Manix 2 blade length 3.37''

My proposed new blade length 3.46''

Difference = 0.09'' or 2.3mm
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
go on- I'll bite.

I can do that with both of my Manix knives, and the lock is less likely to accidentally disengage because of the stronger spring making it safer.
Agreed- that's something that you can do with the Manix too (indeed, I can with all 4 of mine....)....and they drop closed when you draw back the lock too, free and easy.

So, they operate the same in that regard.....The same. No better.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

Mikael Andersson

3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
go on- I'll bite.

Actually the axis lock has the stronger spring.
Mikael Andersson

Whitetail addict wrote:I dont think the manix 2 can be improved, its near perfection.
What difference is 2.3 mm going to make?
It's an improvement however small.
spydieh0le

Post by spydieh0le »

Don't change a single thing! There is a reason there isn't a manix 3, because the 2 is perfect.
61 Spydies and Counting.

Official Manix Addict :spyder: :
s110v LW,S110v Franken Manix Green G10 Putnam Scales, DLC HG S30v PE,Cruwear(2x), 80mm Lockback,HG S30v Full SE, Tan M4,Foliage Green CTS-XHP,Burgundy CTS-BD30P Franken Sprint ,Moonglow,XHP LW,Maxamelt LW

Hunting the Elusive s90v CF Manix 2 Sprint Run
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

demoncase wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
go on- I'll bite.

Agreed- that's something that you can do with the Manix too (indeed, I can with all 4 of mine....)....and they drop closed when you draw back the lock too, free and easy.

Then why go to the effort of changing out a lock that Spyderco designed and is known for, to opting for a knife designed by a competitor? I like the stronger spring on the CBBL because it's less likely to accidentally disengage.

---> Branden
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
Mikael Andersson wrote:
demoncase wrote:
go on- I'll bite.

Actually the axis lock has the stronger spring.
Really?- what's the difference in lbs force?....Or is that just based the ol' "calibrated fingertip-feels-a-bit-stronger" approach?

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

spydieh0le wrote:Don't change a single thing! There is a reason there isn't a manix 3, because the 2 is perfect.
I wouldn't say anything is perfect...materials and tolerances can always be improved etc. That said though, that would also result in a price increase...and it's pretty darn good right where it is as an overall package.

---> Branden
Mikael Andersson

spydieh0le wrote:Don't change a single thing! There is a reason there isn't a manix 3, because the 2 is perfect.
I bet that people said the same thing about the original Paramilitary.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

3rdGenRigger wrote:
demoncase wrote:

Then why go to the effort of changing out a lock that Spyderco designed and is known for, to opting for a knife designed by a competitor? I like the stronger spring on the CBBL because it's less likely to accidentally disengage.
I'm agreeing with you- it's the OP that's making bold assertions and deserves the rebuttal. :)

3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

demoncase wrote:
3rdGenRigger wrote:
demoncase wrote:

I'm agreeing with you- it's the OP that's making bold assertions and deserves the rebuttal. :)
I'm also agreeing with your point lol. The question was directed towards the OP...I was just quoting you because your point also proved what I was trying to get at :)

---> Branden
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Mikael Andersson wrote:
Whitetail addict wrote:I dont think the manix 2 can be improved, its near perfection.
What difference is 2.3 mm going to make?
It's an improvement however small.
How is it an improvement?....In what way?..... There's more to a folding knife that cramming the maximum amount of cutting edge into the handle, in my book:

Here's one of Spyderco's knives I love, but it's got a blade:handle ratio a mile off the 'accepted' maxima ;)

Bugs

Post by Bugs »

Compare the springs in the Manix 2 vs the axis lock. I cannot foresee the Manix spring breaking due to the way it is sprung. The axis lock spring appears to be a weaker design.
Playing in SW FL Back Country with Tarpon, Snook & Reds.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Just make the blade multi-colored and add a flipper to it, then it'll be perfect.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Omega spring in the Benchmade is weaker and has a higher rate of failure from what I have seen. It has two springs which allows it to still function while you wait for a replacement. I don't see the omega spring as an improvement.

If you want to make the Manix2 better then remove all of the superfluous jimping. Other than that it is fine.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?