Exotic Japanese steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Re: Exotic Japanese steels

Post by FCM415 »

HAP40 Caly models

HAP40 Large Goddard

HAP40 Centofante3

HAP40!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Aloha! Another newbie to the Forum here, I'm at 25+ Spydies and counting. Need I say more? :) +1 hap40. +1 superblue. Sg2 sounds like a cool choice for the Seki lineup. A PM2 in zdp189 would rule. Thank you for your consideration.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'm easy, they all sound good so far.

Endura and Military would be my preference, although a Superleaf with thicker liners and some very tough steel would be nice too.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

Anything high wear resistance (10V, S110V, Maxamet levels) I prefer EndurasEnduras, if limited to Japanese models, otherwise, military, paramilitary, and Manix XL.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Hitachi White Paper...flat grind in a Delica and an Endura...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Hitachi White Paper...flat grind in a Delica and an Endura...
+1
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

^
Been seen that requested since like 2011. Would like to know if there is any reason why Sal hasn't obliged. It's unique, exotic, got a cool story behind it. Would like to try it and hey why not... on a Spyderco.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I have no idea about the steel
But if your also asking about which model to realease a new steel in , it would be the Delica , if you look at the Hap40 sprint releases , you can still find them available in every model , but not the Delica , try finding one of those .
Delica owners are loyal , and it is a great user platform to launch a new steel at attainable and affordable prices .

Ken
SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Post by SuckSqueezeBangBlow »

There is one on eBay right now.
I just sold my spare, but found another locally
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Hitachi White Paper...flat grind in a Delica and an Endura...
That sounds great. Give it a white or light grey FRN handle and I'd be all over it :D
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I see KAI have just released a ZT 0450 in ZDP, so if we're talking about Japanese steels on US models then it would be cool to see some VG-10 on the PM2, Manix and Millie and maybe a Super Blue UKPK.

Hitachi XVC11 or YXR7 could be nice in a g10 Delica/Endura format but they're quite similar to cpm M4 and maybe people are a bit bored with that? I like the sound of Joe's HAP5R as Cruwear is one of my favorite steels.

I don't know if it's possible but how about HAP72? Looks like HAP40 on steroids and can be run up to 70hrc :D
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Humint

Post by Humint »

If I can't have a Delica in s30v, s35vn, CTS-XHP or M390 then I would LOVE one in Takefu's SG2
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

harronek wrote:I have no idea about the steel
But if your also asking about which model to realease a new steel in , it would be the Delica , if you look at the Hap40 sprint releases , you can still find them available in every model , but not the Delica , try finding one of those .
Delica owners are loyal , and it is a great user platform to launch a new steel at attainable and affordable prices .

Ken
This is true about the Delica, and also I think the Dragonfly. Both would make excellent platforms if not the whole FRN line.

I absolutely love my HAP-40 knives, and I know Super Blue is really well-liked, so I think any more knives with those will do well. Other than that, I don't know enough to answer the question, except to say that I'm excited that Spyderco is looking into doing more of these different Japanese steels. VG-10 and ZDP-189 are great, but I know Japan can offer more choices and it would be great to see another steel added as a production steel the way S110V has been added in Golden.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I am not very knowledgeable about Japanese steels but have been very impressed with HAP40. Maybe something stainless next? I trust that Spyderco will make the right decision to empty my wallet.

As for platforms the Delica would be my choice, a G10 Delica I would take in any flavour of steel.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

gastonian wrote:I am in for a Superblue Centofante 3 as well!!!

I would love a Superblue UKPK if it can be a American made model
I'm down for any Centofante 3/4 sprint especially the 4. If I could get a Centofante 4 in solid Super Blue or HAP40 I would be ecstatic.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Some great thoughts here- I loved the way the HAP40 range expanded rapidly in the catalogue.....Howabout a HAP40 Squeak, as I think I'm right in saying there's not a slipjoint in the range in that steel?

Super White seems to a winner too from a forum post perspective- but the HAP72 looks pretty special as well.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

sal wrote:Hi all,

It seems that there is interest in more Japanese steels? I've read some recent posts showing this. (Like Killer on the Delica steel thread [blade forums] ) So I would be interested in knowing what steels made in Japan you would like to see / use and in what models?

sal
Exotic Japanese scalpel steel forged with the fury of the high heavens?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm interested in mostly stainless flavors. I know I'm the weird one. Also it would largely depend on the model. Count me in for anything dressed as a Delica, R, or Caly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:I'm interested in mostly stainless flavors. I know I'm the weird one. Also it would largely depend on the model. Count me in for anything dressed as a Delica, R, or Caly.
I also tend to prefer stainless, because why not? But when it comes to Japanese steels especially I find that I'm in this position where, if they don't compare with steels like ZDP and VG10, I would just assume play around with a patina. There's a wide range between ZDP and VG10 so if there are stainless steels that fall into that gap, I would be interested in those. Otherwise it seems like Japan are pretty well known for the carbon stuff so I'm also ok with trying out more of that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

White steel is a great, very clean high carbon steel but it is probably the rustiest steel ever talked about here. More so than 52100 or Super Blue IME. Heat treat and finish can make it worse or slightly better . Not a problem for me but some complain about stainless steels not being rust free enough. I prefer Super Blue but I do like the White steels as well.

Gin 3 and 5 have been used in knives including throw away scalpel-ish blades like Tigershark but to me these aren't very sexy steels. Probably easier to source.

One thing I don't have any knowledge of is the practicality of trying to make sprints with these steels as we saw with SG2. Sal's decades of experience working with the industry there puts him ahead of the pack in these matters. I really do enjoy my HAP 40 Endura and am still impressed he made that one happen. I'm still enjoying the thread and the possibilities it represents.

Joe