Nirvana Titanium

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Philo Beddoe

Re: Nirvana Titanium

Post by Philo Beddoe »

RangeRover wrote:Enough said.
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

How dare I buy this car and have to put GAS IN IT!!!!!!! It's a 2 second "fix". All it is is excess oil, so quit whining like a little toddler. Wipe the tears off your face, the spit off your screen, and the oil off your knife, then have a great day and enjoy a fantastic knife.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I completely disagree that all frame locks/RIL have lock stick! I LOVE frame locks, and I NEVER had that problem, EVER.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Rangerover why in gods name did you take my post and cut it up just to make it look like i agree with you?
Because i do not! The nirvana is a perfect knife as it is and from what i am reading from you makes me think it is youre lazyness keeping you from a perfect nirvana. If you put only 1% of the time in youre knife that you used to bash spyderco youre so called problem would be long gone.
harronek

Post by harronek »

Lol

With a name like Rangerover I would have thought that you would be very experienced with products not working properly from the factory .

:)

Ken
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

^
^
^
Lol, someone finally went there!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh snap....
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Ohhh I have been waiting for the Range Rover Joke also...LOL...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Be careful what you start guys....

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol! That's awesome...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

harronek wrote:Lol

With a name like Rangerover I would have thought that you would be very experienced with products not working properly from the factory .

:)

Ken

Rofl
vanatomas

Post by vanatomas »

thnx for help, after having Nirvana for about a week, it it smooth and all, yeah at the beginning it was dead lock, but all worked out pretty much well, happy with the knife
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

THE LINERLOCK -- RIGHT FROM THE SOURCE

Michael Walker's invention and development of the LinerlockTM

by Bernard Levine (c)1997 - for Knives Illustrated

TITANIUM

These new lighter gauge liners were made out of titanium alloy. Titanium has many features that make it especially suitable for this application.

- Titanium has a high strength to weight ratio.

- Titanium has superb spring retention qualities, without the necessity of any heat treatment. A titanium spring will recover from a severe load that would permanently deform a steel spring of the same cross-section.

- Titanium galls to other metals -- it seizes to them, rather than slipping past them, when they are rubbed together under tension. This makes titanium useless for moving parts, but ideal for parts that are meant to seize, such as the end of a liner engaging the end of the tang of a folding knife blade.

http://www.knife-expert.com/liners.txt
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

It's funny. People scream about locks slipping and failing. People scream about early or late lockup. People scream about titanium scratching. People scream about knives being too heavy.

Here spyderco comes out with a beautiful knife that's probably hard as **** to mass produce made as light and as strong as possible with the fewest separate parts as possible. It's made of titanium and the lock fits exactly how the inventor of liner locks (obviously the Nirvana has a RIL, but same concept) says they should fit. Works exactly like he says they should work. People get them, the fit is tight but reasonably loosens up reasonably quickly. People still complain.

It's like a pair of jeans. It takes some actual wearing of the jeans to where they really fit you and how you like them. If you decide that they'll never fit to your liking, you can get rid of them. Doesn't make them bad jeans, nor does getting rid of them make you a bad person. Thinking that any and every pair of jeans you buy will be exactly how you want and fit you perfectly both before they break in and after makes you pretty unreasonable, IMO, especially if you're buying them sight unseen. Or unfitted. Or whatever.

My advice to the OP. If you're going to bet on a knife being perfect for you when buying online, you will sometimes be disappointed. You may, with all due respect, try to find a brick and mortar knife dealer and handle expensive knives before you buy next time.

I probably won't ever buy a CRK. I don't like them. They're not for me and I genuinely don't see what the big stink about them is aside from tight tolerances. That's because I've handled several examples of the different models he offers and none have been that impressive to me. Had I bought one online, sight unseen, I'd have been disappointed. That doesn't make them bad knives or me a bad customer. Just like you not wanting to break in your knife doesn't make YOU a bad customer. Expecting spyderco to tailor make knives specifically for you and your desires without you even trying to meet in the middle might. Expecting spyderco to disregard others' knowledge, capabilities, and desires just so you're happy might. All they can do is build the best knife they can that will make the majority of their customer base happy. If the minority is unhappy, that sucks, but it's life. There are many other models I'm sure you'll like. If not, there are other companies. That's business.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey "Bodog" I hear you loud and clear and mostly agree with what you said about many of the complaints they've lodged on this thread>> I think many of them are baseless IMO. I think this "Nirvana Titanium" is one of Spyderco's best designs that they've come out with in quite some time ( really nice eye candy to me). When I get a bigger paycheck than the one I'm currently receiving I do plan on getting a "Nirvana Titanium" folder. If nothing else I do think it will be a super collector piece down the road but I would also like to seriously test drive one of these folders for sure. Because it has all the trappings of a great EDC/user model and it looks virtually indestructible to me.

Titanium is not my very favorite handle material but I do like Titanium folder handles. For instance the Ti handle on the original Ti ATR model is one of my all time favorite Spyderco handles and just to look at this Ti Nirvana model leads me to believe that this might be their best handle yet IMO.

As far as locking systems go>> yeah there are some I like better than others but I've yet to have any Spyderco folder lock fail on me yet. But I don't spine whack them or put them through other non-sense type torture tests either. I've owned several models with liner locks and I carry 3 different C-36 Military models and have had no trouble at all up till now. Although this model I believe would really been appealing with a "ball bearing" type lock IMO.