MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

MT24P will be available for sale on Thursday, 04-Aug-2016 at 0900 (MDT)

All sales will be handled by the Spyderco Factory Outlet store online at http://spyderco.com. You will find it under model # MT24.

Maximum Purchase Allowed: 2

Cost: $109.95 each

Domestic Orders:
Domestic Shipping in the Continental United States: Standard Shipping rates apply.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico Shipping: USPS $15.00

International Orders:
International orders have a maximum allowed amount of $600 (including shipping fees) for all online orders. All orders over $600 must be placed via phone or e-mail and paid for via wire transfer. Shipment of orders paid for via wire transfer will not occur until monies have been received by the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store. You may contact our store to place a wire transfer order at sfo@spyderco.com or 303/279-8383 x 107.

International shipments will be sent out according to our International Shipping Schedule:
Shopping Cart Total: $0-$99 - Shipping/Handling Charge $25
Shopping Cart Total: $100-$399 - Shipping/Handling Charge $45
Shopping Cart Total: $400 and higher - Shipping/Handling Charge $60

International shipments will be via USPS International Priority Mail. Please be aware, we will have limited tracking capabilities. Tracking once it leaves the US is dependent upon the postal services outside the US and their ability to provide it. However, this will completely eliminate UPS Brokerage Fees.

About Maxamet:
Spyderco’s twenty-fourth Mule Team installment features Carpenter®steel's Micro-Melt®Maxamet®alloy—a super-hard high-speed powdered tool steel possessing properties that transcend conventional high-speed tool steels approach those of cemented carbides, the ultra-hard materials used to machine other steels. When Carpenter developed this amazing alloy, they sent samples to various companies in the knife industry to evaluate as a blade material. Although many tried, Spyderco was one of only a handful of companies to successfully develop the specialized methods necessary to machine, heat treat, and grind this demanding material to yield reliable high-performance knife blades. We are now extremely proud to offer it to our Mule Team enthusiasts—so proud in fact that the MT24 Maxamet Mule "jumped the line" ahead of our scheduled MT23 release.

Maxamet's remarkable alloy composition includes: Carbon: 2.15%, Manganese: 0.30%, Sulfur: 0.070%, Silicon: 0.25%, Chromium: 4.75%, Cobalt: 10.00%, Vanadium: 6.00%, and Tungsten: 13.00%. This sophisticated mix of elements, combined with the advantages of powdered metal technology, give it an extraordinary balance of wear resistance and toughness at high hardness levels.

What is the Mule Team:
For those of you unfamiliar with our Mule Team Project, it is unique to Spyderco. In-house we call knife samples designed and built for testing and evaluation Mules. We know a healthy percentage of knife users are interested in different blade steels and their performance abilities. Running with that, we released an ongoing Mule Team Project. Several times per year we unveil the same single-piece fixed blade patterned knife in a different and exotic blade steel. This lets steel-obsessed knife knuts test, try and use something normally not offered to the industry. Product runs are limited to 600 – 1000 pieces of each steel type depending on foundry requirements.

Mule Blades are leaf-shaped with a sharpened and finished PlainEdge blade but with an unfinished handle providing a do-it-yourself opportunity. The unfinished handle has a series of holes for attaching custom handle scales or for wrapping with para-cord. Each piece is sold without handle scales or a carry sheath focusing the project on the blade steel. This opens endless creative possibilities for the owner to design their own handle scale and carry options.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ankerson

Re: MT24P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with Maxamet

Post by Ankerson »

That should be interesting......
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Lovely... Is this even sharpen-able? :p
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I don't think sharpening will be the issue if they are used to steels like 10V and S110V, reprofiling if people choose to try it may be difficult depending on various factors.

Depends on what Spyderco decided to do with it HT wise, that is going to be a very large factor here with this one.
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Oh boy! This will be interesting... :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Whoa!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Awesome steel! I'm excited to get a chance to test this. Thank you Spyderco!! :spyder: :D :spyder:
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

This is great news, only thing that continues to bother me though is shipping to Alaska, it doesn't cost any more to ship here than any of the other 49 States in the Union so I don't understand the $15 surcharge :(
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderWill

Post by SpyderWill »

I'm looking forward to hearing the results for this one. Sounds like it has some interesting properties.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

This sounds awesome! Can't wait to read reviews and tests on this steel. I am way too green to sharpen this knife so I will stay away, but it sounds big time.
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

farnorthdan wrote:This is great news, only thing that continues to bother me though is shipping to Alaska, it doesn't cost any more to ship here than any of the other 49 States in the Union so I don't understand the $15 surcharge :(
Nothing compared to the $45 to Canada!
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I'm all in on this one
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I already bought my scales and sheath so I can hit the ground running when I get this.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

This is what I have been waiting for
rennet

Post by rennet »

45 USD to Canada? That's going to bring the total price for a mule to over 200 CAD.

I'd love to have one but I'm not sure I want one that badly.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well this is a pleasant surprise. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Hi good news!
And The MT23?
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Fallen wrote:Nothing compared to the $45 to Canada!
Yes, The $45 to Spain :) :) :)
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

So much for my savings account. This would come right after I finally caved and bought the 52100 and 204P Millies.
MadmanR1

Post by MadmanR1 »

I'm excited to test this out. Now I just need to decide what I'm going to make the scales out of...can't wait.