BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Re: BHQ Paramilitary 2 CPM M4 Exclusive.

Post by DougC-3 »

Hey, I've got a theory about the sticky screws:

I) The screws (especially scale screws) are glued in much tighter than usual.
2) When you finally get them out they seem to have some near colorless adhesive on them.
3) When you use regular locktite on them, you can see the color through the scales.
(don't know if this matches everybody's experience, but seems to match some)

My theory is that they didn't use the usual colored locktite on the scale screws because its color could be seen through the scale and would spoil the effect of the clean whitish, translucent appearance. And, if so, they were unable to find one which had just the right amount of grip -- maybe some type of cyanoacrylate... just a thought.

Anyhow, I got mine today and am crazy about it. It seems perfect except for the edge grind being wider (smaller angle) on the presentation side than on the clip side, as others have mentioned, which I don't mind too much. As mentioned above, the grinds are very even and self-consistent. To be really nit-picky, to be perfect I would like for the scales to be slightly rounded over around the edges like PM1s and some other PM2s (my dark green one for example -- I think the second batch of green ones tended not to have this beveling). Anyway, not a very big deal. I really like it and I think it's turning me into a PM2 fan after all these years. Cudos to Spyderco and BHQ!!

I cleaned the blade then peeled and sliced 6 or 8 peaches with it tonight and rinsed with water immediately after, and was surprised to see a colorful patina immediately. I had thought M4 usually was harder to patinate and more black. I would show a pic, but it's late and I've got to be out of town all day tomorrow.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Thanks animportant! That is surely what I'll try, maybe put some tape or something around it for a little protection.

Timlara, we use those where I work assembling very small, high precision valves, and ours do have a torque setting so I'd like to think theirs do too. How reliable and consistent they are, I have no idea and imagine it varies, but if my company is using them, they probably work.

Hey Doug, I know it seems colorless in the photo, but blame that on the lighting. The stuff is most likely blue. If I may direct attention to another thread going on where their use of blue and red Loctite is confirmed:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71247

Personally, I think they're both overkill. I'm more of an au naturel kind of guy. :)

Edit: Looked under the microscope at work, and it actually is largely colorless, with a light blue tint. Not what I remember blue Loctite looking like. Hm.
Last edited by PayneTrain on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

animportant wrote:
PayneTrain wrote:I got mine! Hooray!...right? Wrong!

I was just reading all this screw talk before finally getting my box and opening it up, and I was scratching my head because I had never had a problem with stubborn screws or my Husky bit set, and was even contemplating posting a little praise for them. But sure enough, I go to do a routine clip position switch, and I now have a thoroughly stripped screw! Thankfully only one, because they sure were in there tight. Harrrumph! :mad: I've never had to deal with this before. How do I get this screw out now? It seems too tiny to use any of the methods I'd consider in my automotive endeavors. And I assume getting a replacement is as easy as sending a kindly worded email?

That mess aside, I love the G10. Just what I wanted. Mechanically it is a tad stiff, but smooth and centered so I am pleased. Can't wait to carry it...but I may have to.
To get that screw out use a Dremel and carefully cut a straight line into the screw and then use a flat head to turn it out. Stress the carefully you don't want to cut into the g10 or your hand! Good luck.
If there's only one screw remaining, couldn't you rotate the clip a few times to loosen it? Basically just use the pressure of the screw on the clip in order to make it break free.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

ejames13 wrote:
If there's only one screw remaining, couldn't you rotate the clip a few times to loosen it? Basically just use the pressure of the screw on the clip in order to make it break free.
I actually tried that, but it didn't work and is probably just smoothing out that G10, leaving a shiny spot under the clip.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

PayneTrain wrote:
ejames13 wrote:
I actually tried that, but it didn't work and is probably just smoothing out that G10, leaving a shiny spot under the clip.
Yea I guess it would have to be cranked down really tight for that to work. Plus the friction between the metal screw and metal clip is probably nil, so it's just spinning.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

jalcon

Post by jalcon »

lol
palonej

Post by palonej »

Wow!! There was 1 in stock a couple minutes ago.........not there any more!!!
Flippers must be sitting at their computers refreshing & refreshing........
Joe
timlara

Post by timlara »

palonej wrote:Wow!! There was 1 in stock a couple minutes ago.........not there any more!!!
Flippers must be sitting at their computers refreshing & refreshing........
Joe
Ha...Yes, I'm pretty sure people who are "serial flippers" are well aware of automated tools to monitor web sites for changes so they can pounce. That is why I'm go grateful to BHQ for having a set start time and giving plenty of notice so all of us with normal jobs could have a chance! :)
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

So... any forced patinas or dye jobs yet? After getting it in hand and seeing it in person I must say.. I love the color and transparency. I am though tempted to force a patina since I do live in hot humid florida. But I also want a natural patina as well... hmmm
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Well....I got my two today. On one, the blade is off centered, and has some blade play. On the other...it's got a little mark or something embedded in the G10...and since the G10 is clear...you can see it. Not a huge deal..but annoying none the less.

jalcon

Post by jalcon »

I might add....Out of the 4 people I showed it to at work....all four of them asked if it glowed in the dark, haha.
DRLyman

Post by DRLyman »

As of 10:02 central time, they are back in stock at BladeHQ.
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-M ... ife--29810

ETA: Well, that lasted all of 5 minutes. Gone again....
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

jalcon wrote:Well....I got my two today. On one, the blade is off centered, and has some blade play. On the other...it's got a little mark or something embedded in the G10...and since the G10 is clear...you can see it. Not a huge deal..but annoying none the less.

I can relate. I have one that is great, and one with an off-center blade and wonky bevel on one side. Urg...
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

As for mine the fit and finish are contradictory. On the one hand it is centered, sharp, locks up rock solid, but the grind on the flats is the worst of my seven PM2's. In addition to that, I have quite a lock stick going on as well. Been flipping open like crazy trying to smooth that out, but that might take forever. On all my others the compression lock compresses with ease and virtually silent. This one sticks and when it does break free of the tang there is an audible click.

I like it, but since can't say I am over joyed with this iteration, I am gonna make this one of my beaters.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Mine is perfect, best I've had out the box and I've had them all except for the laminated CF version and the Elmax.

I forgot to make my typical request on the ordering page where I ask for them to hand check that I receive an ideal example partially because I was in a rush to checkout before they sold out.

Lockup solid, action smooth, F&F spot on, grind even, blade centered, no sticky lock. All good :spyder:
NiallRiv

Post by NiallRiv »

Got mine last night and promptly took it apart and switched out the handle scales. Carried it today at work and was very pleased with the edge holding of the M4. Cut some wood and a lot of PVC reaming which can tend to chip a fine edge, but she held up like a champ so far. Thank you to Blade HQ for this awesome knife and to the Spyderco crew for putting it together!!

bayvillageidiot

Post by bayvillageidiot »

Perfect.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Digging how the Jade scales blend in with Khaki clothes, at first I wasn't sure but me likey!
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

NiallRiv wrote:Got mine last night and promptly took it apart and switched out the handle scales. Carried it today at work and was very pleased with the edge holding of the M4. Cut some wood and a lot of PVC reaming which can tend to chip a fine edge, but she held up like a champ so far. Thank you to Blade HQ for this awesome knife and to the Spyderco crew for putting it together!!

Beautiful knife OP
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.