Any Spydiewolf, Mamba or Tatanka fans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Any Spydiewolf, Mamba or Tatanka fans?

Post by vivi »

Thinking about picking up a new folder, and these new models all caught my eye. Anyone own one of them? Thoughts?
v8r

Re: Any Spydiewolf, Mamba or Tatanka fans?

Post by v8r »

I have a Tatanka, and love it. Beware if you are concerned if it is sheeple friendly, it is quite large.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

The Mamba is also very large, and very... different-looking to the so-called sheeple. If you're going to carry this or the Tatanka around town or in an office, I'd be careful. I haven't seen the Spydiewolf in person.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
swigert

Post by swigert »

Ive heard, but haven't actually checked that with the brexit the Spydiewolf is a better deal now because of the value of the pound.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Out of those 3 I only have the Spyderwolf and its pretty nice, great blade design very stout and the handle looks kinda odd but fits my hand like a glove and who doesn't like the compression lock.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have and like the Tatanka but strictly for fondling all that swedged VG10, as well as for exercising the first PowerLock.

However, the knife is not for carrying, IMO. If I actually need a knife of its size, I'll grab a fixed blade.

Truth be told, I have understood the Tatanka, the Shaman, the Chief, along with the Native to be Spyderco's acknowledgment of this continent's first peoples. The more attention their descendents get, the better, I do believe, hence my interest in the "series".
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still kind of intrigued by the Spydiewolf, I've always wondered about a folding knife with a scandi blade. I don't care much for the style of the knife but I also have respect for form following function.

Not much interested in the other two. The Mamba is a gorgeous knife but not something I'm really into owning.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tyrdle

Post by Tyrdle »

I am a HUGE Mamba fan... I actually held one for the first time today and I highly recommend it, however not for edc. It would edc perfectly fine but the lock is a bit hard to disengage quickly, and for good reason.. It's a really beefy knife. haha PM me in october when I have saved enough to buy it. I also held a Tatanka and it was a perfect 2-hand grip. All I can say is that if you seriously think you could edc it you should definitely stop thinking that.
:spyder: Turtles can have knives too, right? :spyder:
Aus-8 Delica 1 ATS-55 Endura UK Penknife
Positron Mamba Blurple PM2
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Out of the Tatanka and the Mamba, which do you think would be more useful for field-dressing animals like deer and caribou and also fish?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Farnorthdan, looks like the spydiewolf has a microbevel? Can you confirm?
dplafoll wrote:The Mamba is also very large, and very... different-looking to the so-called sheeple. If you're going to carry this or the Tatanka around town or in an office, I'd be careful. I haven't seen the Spydiewolf in person.
I EDC a Szabo folder, so "sheeple" concerns are pretty low in my list :)
Squawk

Post by Squawk »

I don't have the spydiewolf, but i can say something about the other two. The Tatanka was not for me - a nicely built knife, but just too big for my taste and i didn't really like the powerlock mechanism or the effort it took to open the knife (definitely two hands only). The Mamba though is a totally different beast... not a user at all IMHO, but man is that a beautiful thing... love it!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I was a Tatanka fan...I was really hoping it would turn out being a Millie on steroids. However, after a bit of use...the blade kept coming off center and ended up rubbing when I would close it. I would take it apart, screw everything back in a little at a time, and it would go back to staying center. A few days later...rubs again. Sold it a month later. I stick to Milles and PM2s only for the most part...I do see a YO2 in the horizon though, perhaps a Nirvana as well.

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Vivi wrote:Farnorthdan, looks like the spydiewolf has a microbevel? Can you confirm?
dplafoll wrote:The Mamba is also very large, and very... different-looking to the so-called sheeple. If you're going to carry this or the Tatanka around town or in an office, I'd be careful. I haven't seen the Spydiewolf in person.
Yes, very micro but its there.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
vivi

Post by vivi »

DrtyHarry wrote:I was a Tatanka fan...I was really hoping it would turn out being a Millie on steroids. However, after a bit of use...the blade kept coming off center and ended up rubbing when I would close it. I would take it apart, screw everything back in a little at a time, and it would go back to staying center. A few days later...rubs again. Sold it a month later. I stick to Milles and PM2s only for the most part...I do see a YO2 in the horizon though, perhaps a Nirvana as well.

Harry
The yo2 is also on my list, but I didn't mention it in this post because I'm already planning to order it :D

Right now I carry a szabo folder outside of work, and a para 2 or pacific salt while working. If I get one of these three knives I mentioned I'd be rotating it with the Szabo.

The Tatanka seems like it might be a little too big based on what people are saying and the videos I've seen.

The Mamba looks comfortable and gorgeous, but I usually don't like that much belly. Sure is tempting though :)
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

YO2 would be my next bet, I love WC blades. I just got a WC folder from ZT so I am waiting on the YO2 for now...holding off for a S110V version, just not sure if they will make them. The S90s are a bit expensive right now, but my eyes are on the lookout for one.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Vivi wrote:Farnorthdan, looks like the spydiewolf has a microbevel? Can you confirm?
Ha! No kidding. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2