Szabofly Question

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Nqhcampbell

Szabofly Question

Post by Nqhcampbell »

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding the szabofly. This guy from JD is trying to trade me one but when he sent me pictures of it, it is a 154cm model but doesnt have the "Golden, Colorado USA Earth" marking on the blade. I have looked all over the internet and haven't found anything to show me that the blade is authentic even though he assured me that it is and that he bought it from chesapeake knife and tool in virigina and that the knife is 20 years old. Im just curious as too if any of the 154cm models lacked that marking, just figured id ask the spyderco community. Thank you all.
The Deacon

Re: Szabofly Question

Post by The Deacon »

Original Szaboflys were VG-10. Not many of them were made, there are probably less than 100 in circulation. Second version was 154CM, Should look like this on the one side:
and, while it's a bit harder to see because the knife is closed, it should say Golden Co USA Earth on the other, like this...
If he's saying he's had it for 20 years, he's suffering from fecal overload. I know there are fake Spyderflys out there, it wouldn't surprise me if there were fake Szaboflys as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nqhcampbell

Post by Nqhcampbell »

That didnt really answer my question though, I know that pretty much all ive seen are like that, im just curious as if they ever had any that didnt have the golden colorado on the blade.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think he is telling you to be very sceptical about it's authenticity.

The Szabofly was not made 20 years ago. Your BS meter should be at full tilt.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=B03_SzaboFly
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Nqhcampbell

Post by Nqhcampbell »

Thank you^ It was but i wasnt 100% sure, just needed to ask the experts on here.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

My apologies. I only have the one and, while I assume all the 154CM Szaboflys carry identical marking, there's really no way I can be absolutely sure of that. Is it possible one left the factory that way, sure. Is it likely, no. Would Spyderco be able to confirm such an accident occured, if it did, even more unlikely. My somewhat educated guess would be that, if it doesn't have them, it's a fake, but that's just a guess. I'd avoid it like the plague but, as with most things in life, YMMV.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Nqhcampbell

Post by Nqhcampbell »

Well thank you both for your help, I wont buy it lol.