I'm 99% sold on a Yojimbo 2....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

I'm 99% sold on a Yojimbo 2....

Post by vivi »

I loved the original Yojimbo. Huge fan of wharncliffes for EDC/Utility, which is what I'm buying this knife for. Love the para 2, which has similar construction.

So, what's the hang up, you ask?

I have huge hands. A lot of knives that most people love, feel bad to me (e.g. delicas, leeks, dragonfly etc.).

Now, the yojimbo 2 looks good as far as the size goes. I'm sure I can get a 4 finger grip on it.

The part that worries me is the thumb ramp.

Now, I've watched a lot of videos and I see it was designed to have your thumb rest on the blade, rather than the handle. That might be great for MBC applications, but I'm concerned about how ergonomic it'd be for utility cutting.

Typically when I use a knife, I place my thumb tip on the jimping behind the spyderhole and the pad on the handle. That's what I do with my Millie, Para 2, Police, Szabo etc. The blade spine's ramp up to the spyder hole creates a nice spot for my thumb to rest securely.

However, on the yojimbo 2, it looks like I'd either need to put my thumb on the spine of the blade, or on the point where the handle ends and the blade begins. Here is a picture showing where my thumb would most likely want to go during a utility cut

I had this same issue with the Junkyard Dawg 2, a design I otherwise enjoyed. The knife was ruined for me because my thumb wanted to go right on that pointy spot like where I circled in the yo2 pic.

So, is there anyone out there with big hands (XL-XXL) who uses the yojimbo for utility cutting, that can ease my mind? I love the overall design of the yojimbo line and I'm ready to order one, but I don't feel 100% certain on the purchase as I've never handled one.
ABX2011

Re: I'm 99% sold on a Yojimbo 2....

Post by ABX2011 »

All I can tell you is that I'm always wary of knives with finger grooves because there's a high risk that a finger will land on a ridge rather than a groove. Anyway, I have medium hands and the Yo2 feels perfect to me. So I'm not sure how it could also feel perfect to you...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I have XL sized hands. The Yojimbo2 feels quite comfortable in my hand using the grip you mentioned. I think it would work best if you could hold a Yo2 in person before making the final call (if possible).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

SpyderNut wrote:I have XL sized hands. The Yojimbo2 feels quite comfortable in my hand using the grip you mentioned. I think it would work best if you could hold a Yo2 in person before making the final call (if possible).
Well, it is only a four hour drive to the nearest Yojimbo 2 :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Bigger hand needs bigger knife....no doubt...put it in your hand before pulling the trigger on this one....Doc:)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm right there with ya on the big hand thing. I can palm a bowling ball.

I've done quite a bit of modding to a couple Yo2's, because of the finger grooves mostly (and like you I can't stand the Delica handle because of those points). As for the thumb ramp, this is a knife that I have NEVER used the actual thumb ramp on. When you get it in your hand, I think you can feel that it just wasn't designed for that. It can be used that way but to me it feels a bit unnatural to grip it that way. But, when you extend the thumb forward (which is called Filipino grip by the way) it really shines. I came to like this knife/grip so much that I strongly prefer knives like the Manix 2/Native/Southard/Nilakka etc that don't have pronounced thumb ramps. I can live with it on the Military because the handle is so spacious I don't feel cramped with my thumb on the ramp.

As for use, it doesn't bother me at all to use it in Filipino grip. There are lots of scenarios where having your thumb there could get in the way, but there are also just as many situations where having your thumb there gives a lot more control and power over a cut since your strongest finger is right over top of the edge.

Beyond all that, I think if you like the original you will love the 2. I've never owned the original but I've handled a bunch of them, and I think the 2 is a far superior knife. The only thing the original has that I wish the 2 had is a FFG blade, but the hollow grind does make for a strong blade and the tip is much more suited for utility work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Thanks Evil D, I think your post might have convinced me. Maybe I'll fall in love with the Filipino style grip as well.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Still waiting to get my hands on one before I decide to buy or not. No way I am ordering one without having touched it yet. But there is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that most will love it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:Thanks Evil D, I think your post might have convinced me. Maybe I'll fall in love with the Filipino style grip as well.
I think it caters to larger hands better than any thumb ramp, because it allows your thumb to extend as far forward as is comfortable for your hand size, whereas a thumb ramp locks you into one spot. I think the Yo 2 has one of the most natural feeling grips of any knife I own. I carried the original for well over a year pretty exclusively so my preference to this grip style may also just be out of habit from using it so much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

I have tiny hands with very long fingers. The Yo2 is super comfortable to me, just melts in your hand. However, like Evil D said, using the thumb ramp feels awkward at best as it pushes the rest of my hand off the handle. Instead, I use both the filipino grip and a "chef knife grip", where I pinch the pivot area between finger and thumb. It's a very versatile, ergonomic and well made knife, I don't think any Spyderco fan could regret buying it.

And while not as important, I find this knife a joy to fondle. The heft of the blade makes deployment very reliable and satisfying, much more so than my PM2.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I have large hands, and I find the Yo2's handle beautifully shaped. It isn't a large knife, but it is ergonomically designed, and incredibly comfortable in the hand.

If you ever have a chance, get to handle one in person. If that isn't possible, order one from a site that has a good return policy. But I'm confident you'll find the knife good in hand.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

vivi, if you go to you tube you can see Michael Janich's video the evolution of the yojimbo 2, he designed the knife with spyderco, in the video he talks about why he designed it the way he did.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I finally got to handle one, and was right away unimpressed with the thick blade, so I put it down right away. If you have big *** hands, I'm sure you'll like it. Feels like it would do it's designed purpose, but I wouldn't like it at all for utility.
- best wishes, Jazz.