Warranty Experiences

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
12DJ4

Re: Warranty Experiences

Post by 12DJ4 »

Evil D wrote:So let me ask, in all sincerity and without any sarcastic undertones, wholeheartedly, what exactly would you like to accomplish with this thread?

At this point it sounds like customer service gave you a refund/store credit, though you feel like they gave you attitude (and to be fair, we don't know how Spyderco feels about your attitude in all this and I don't see them coming into this thread to bash on you). Sal himself has chimed in and apologized for your experience. So, if the community here can't help you feel better about this situation, and you're not happy with the credit or whatever attitude you felt you received, then we're sort of at an impasse.
I am not bashing them. I spent my hard earned money buying their product. I am only stating facts. They owe me nothing! Yes in a way Sal did apologize but in the same breath, justified the experience.
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

ChrisinHove wrote:
12DJ4 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:You received an MSRP Credit to the Outlet.
I'm not really sure I understand what the problem is then...

This problems is that they gave me an attitude about it like they were doing me a favor. They were not doing me a favor. For the money I spent on the knife and being a loyal customer, I should not feel that way. Period! Whether they game me a credit or not. I do not want to deal with that if I need them in the future!
You go on to say that it was a gift.

Just saying.
You are saying what?? That if it was a gift. Ok if you want me to be specific and you want to nitpick as I am accused of here. My wife got if for me as a present. She does not work and I am the sole provider in my household. So where did the money come from? Yup! My bank account. Now, is that personal and specific for you. Just saying. I will stand up for what I believe is fair and just. Nothing more or less. I want nothing for free, just what I paid for. In this case, my wife buying it for me from our account. Cannot get more personal than that!
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

Blerv wrote:
12DJ4 wrote:
MacLaren wrote:You received an MSRP Credit to the Outlet.
I'm not really sure I understand what the problem is then...

This problems is that they gave me an attitude about it like they were doing me a favor. They were not doing me a favor. For the money I spent on the knife and being a loyal customer, I should not feel that way. Period! Whether they game me a credit or not. I do not want to deal with that if I need them in the future!
I didn't read the letter but if you said you expected perfection they indeed did you a favor. They provided a no-questions-asked credit without receipt of purchase. This in the world of business is the highest caliber of customer service...Costco, Nordstrom, etc.

Communication is a process of sending and receiving information; implying and inferring is always involved. In business providing a credit with a dry response can be taken as an insult or a compliment (abrupt vs not pandering). It's efficient word use more likely than spiteful. In theory they only are required to say, "Your product is within spec, please pay for return shipping." They are responsible for their words and actions but cannot control your feelings.

If you have bought hundreds of perfect Spyderco knives without problem until this one, from a probability perspective, you should roll the dice again. Unless this is a unique situation with this model, or your perception of this particular model...the numbers are in your favor. Maybe find an understanding dealer and buy 10 and return 9 of them?

Personally, I've never received a "perfect" Spyderco knife. In fact, I can't think of a single product or experience that would be deemed "perfect". Any assessment of that would be from being elated and not objectively looking for flaws. I've had "perfect" nachos before but a couple margaritas tends to do that.
Ha ha. Dude, As I have said many times. They owe me NOTHING! Pay for return shipping?? Then they should do it if they feel that is best practice and we move on. I think you missed the point. I feel as a loyal customer that has spent thousands on thier knives, I would appreciate not being talked down to by warranty. That is how I felt. Period!! Take care me as a loyal customer. Not a difficult concept. I have had successful customer support from many companies in my lifetime.
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

sal wrote:Hi 12DJ14,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for all of the support. I must say it''s always disappointing to me to see a first post be a complaint, but I guess that's part of the job.

I did receive your letter sent to Eric and me, and you re on my agenda to write back to you today. Sorry for the delay, but between our traveling schedules and running a company, we're pretty busy guys and responding to long letters does cut into our schedules and has to be planned.

I do appreciate your taking the time to write and a long letter like yours that was hand written, takes even more time, which I respect. I would like to thank you for your support over the years. We greatly appreciate our customers and extend our best effort to try to create a good relationship.

I see that you decided to take the question to the public. That's ok, there really isn't anything that I would say to you privately that I wouldn't say publicly.

First I would like to say that we have a very good customer service group and I get 100 compliments for every complaint. In fact it surprises me that people will go out of their way to write letters to me complimenting our customer service.

Sal, I responded to your comments above but I do not see it posted. Just wondering if you received my response.

You had mentioned in your letter that you expected flawless product. I doubt that is possible. I've been collecting knives for more than 60 years with many hundreds of knives and I have found very few to be flawless and they cost many times more than the Bradley. If fact, I believe I can honestly say that I have found very few "flawless" products from any company making anything. We do our best to create very good products, but I doubt there are many that are flawless.

Charlynn told me about your complaints and what she did to try to please you, but she didn't think she'd succeeded. Your letter showed she was accurate.

I will admit that we have lost a few customers because their expectations were beyond our abilities or not in accordance with out policies. I do remember one dispute that went on for 10 years, publicly, but I was finally able to convince the customer that we were honorable and always tried our best to please.

Customer service deals with hundreds of customers per week and I'm sure you will agree that an unhappy customer is not always the most pleasant person to deal with. I don't now what more we can do to please you, and we certainly would prefer to keep you as a customer, but we are not a custom shop. We are a production house with limitations.

So, how can we help you?

sal
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

12DJ4 wrote:

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for all of the support. I must say it''s always disappointing to me to see a first post be a complaint, but I guess that's part of the job.

I did receive your letter sent to Eric and me, and you re on my agenda to write back to you today. Sorry for the delay, but between our traveling schedules and running a company, we're pretty busy guys and responding to long letters does cut into our schedules and has to be planned.

I do appreciate your taking the time to write and a long letter like yours that was hand written, takes even more time, which I respect. I would like to thank you for your support over the years. We greatly appreciate our customers and extend our best effort to try to create a good relationship.

I see that you decided to take the question to the public. That's ok, there really isn't anything that I would say to you privately that I wouldn't say publicly.

First I would like to say that we have a very good customer service group and I get 100 compliments for every complaint. In fact it surprises me that people will go out of their way to write letters to me complimenting our customer service.

Sal, I responded to your comments above but I do not see it posted. Just wondering if you received my response.

You had mentioned in your letter that you expected flawless product. I doubt that is possible. I've been collecting knives for more than 60 years with many hundreds of knives and I have found very few to be flawless and they cost many times more than the Bradley. If fact, I believe I can honestly say that I have found very few "flawless" products from any company making anything. We do our best to create very good products, but I doubt there are many that are flawless.

Charlynn told me about your complaints and what she did to try to please you, but she didn't think she'd succeeded. Your letter showed she was accurate.

I will admit that we have lost a few customers because their expectations were beyond our abilities or not in accordance with out policies. I do remember one dispute that went on for 10 years, publicly, but I was finally able to convince the customer that we were honorable and always tried our best to please.

Customer service deals with hundreds of customers per week and I'm sure you will agree that an unhappy customer is not always the most pleasant person to deal with. I don't now what more we can do to please you, and we certainly would prefer to keep you as a customer, but we are not a custom shop. We are a production house with limitations.

So, how can we help you?

sal
[/quot

I responded to your post above but I do not see it. Did you receive my response, Sal?
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

OP in all honesty I feel it was wrong to bring this issue up in the forum. This is between you and Spyderco. We the members of the forum can't speak or act on Spyderco's behalf. Besides the forum is made up of legions of Spyderco fans. Do you really think a sympathic ear could be found once you accused Spyderco of wrong doing? You may have gotten support if you were a long time and respected member of the community, but you are new here so you haven't earned that distinction.

Sal has reached out to you. Take a moment and send him an email or PM and finished your business in private.
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

So, how can we help you?

sal
Dear Sal,
I wrote a response earlier but I no longer see it so I will try to respond again.
First, thank you for taking the time to respond so rapidly to my post.

I decided to "Go public" because I did no receive a response from you and I really thought that at this point I would not get a response.
Yes, my letter was well thought out and time consuming and I feel it is an accurate narrative of my experience with your warranty dept.
While I did mention perfection for the money I have spent, I think more importantly is the negative customer service experience I had with your warranty dept. I felt that I was a bother to your company and when I say perfection, I mean in my eyes a knife that if I feel as a customer that the product is off as far as fit and finish, then take care of me without a hassle. I could understand if I sent the same knife back for a new one several times, but that is just not the case.
You company name is based on your love of sports cars. If you bought a production Corvette and you felt the stitching on the leather seat was not what you think it should be, what would you do? No it is not a custom Lambo, but it is a high end production car. See my point? And when you brought it in for warranty, you received an attitude from the service dept.GM tanked under CEO Rick Wagoner in the late 90s to mid 2000s until it had to be bailed out in 08 under the condition that Wagoner leave. Now they learned and they are making quality products with service from the dealers to back it up.
Sal, weather you agree with me or not, this is how I felt as a customer of one of your products. You Know I referenced your use of the words, "End user." I am that end user! I want nothing for free from you and I do not want preferential treatment. I just want to be treated with respect by your warranty dept. If I feel that the product is not what it should be, take care of me without a hassle. And I will buy your products for life. That simple. So you ask How you can help me? I hope I have answered that. There are plenty of companies that I have dealt with that have given me perfection in my eyes. See how I say in my eyes. I think you are focusing on the word perfection. Perfection in my eyes and flawless in my eyes is a product of fit and finish that it claims to be. I know nothing in life is perfect but I bought the Bradley because it has been said that it is flawless. Just look at youtube. The fit and finish on that knife has been reviewed as flawless many times. If it was portrayed as anything else, I would realize that going in. Am I making sense to you? I do not think I am unreasonable. You watch youtube and there are reviews that are way more critical that I am. Things that I would not nitpick on.
If I returned the knife for a new one many times I could see how I am being unreasonable but I did not. While I commend your company for having 100 positives for 1 negative, I going on my experience alone and I think that is what should be focused on; One customer at a time.
Thank you for your time, Sal.

Andrew
Last edited by 12DJ4 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

Marty_E wrote:OP in all honesty I feel it was wrong to bring this issue up in the forum. This is between you and Spyderco. We the members of the forum can't speak or act on Spyderco's behalf. Besides the forum is made up of legions of Spyderco fans. Do you really think a sympathic ear could be found once you accused Spyderco of wrong doing? You may have gotten support if you were a long time and respected member of the community, but you are new here so you haven't earned that distinction.

Sal has reached out to you. Take a moment and send him an email or PM and finished your business in private.
If you read what I wrote, you would see it. I wrote him privately and have not heard back. Sympanty?? I want nothing! I am stating my epxerience! And what does new to this forum have anything to do with it? You mean that I need to seasoned on hear to voice my concerns and opinions? I think not. I started the thread. You do not have to read it or participate if you so choose. Just ignore it!
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

Marty_E wrote:OP in all honesty I feel it was wrong to bring this issue up in the forum. This is between you and Spyderco. We the members of the forum can't speak or act on Spyderco's behalf. Besides the forum is made up of legions of Spyderco fans. Do you really think a sympathic ear could be found once you accused Spyderco of wrong doing? You may have gotten support if you were a long time and respected member of the community, but you are new here so you haven't earned that distinction.

When did you join?
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

12DJ4 wrote:

When did you join?
June of this year.
Marty_E

Post by Marty_E »

12DJ4 wrote:

If you read what I wrote, you would see it. I wrote him privately and have not heard back. Sympanty?? I want nothing! I am stating my epxerience! And what does new to this forum have anything to do with it? You mean that I need to seasoned on hear to voice my concerns and opinions? I think not. I started the thread. You do not have to read it or participate if you so choose. Just ignore it!
Me thinks you are a troll.
12DJ4

Post by 12DJ4 »

Marty_E wrote:
12DJ4 wrote:

Me thinks you are a troll.
A troll? Dude, You missed the boat on this one. Ha ha ha
npad69

Post by npad69 »

12DJ4 wrote: A troll? Dude, You missed the boat on this one. Ha ha ha
Mikael Andersson is that you? been a while since you last showed up.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Come on guys, shiny foot prints, we get to decide which direction these threads go. ;) :spyder: :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

npad69 wrote:
12DJ4 wrote: A troll? Dude, You missed the boat on this one. Ha ha ha
Mikael Andersson is that you? been a while since you last showed up.
LOL! :p :)
Sully

Post by Sully »

As "Warranty Experiences" is the title of this thread, I'm compelled to quickly share mine.

My G10 Delica 4, my only Spyderco at the time, was slightly off. I couldn't get it back to "normal." Sent it in to W&R, turns out it was unrepairable and Spyderco was willing to credit me the MSRP.

That's when I joined the forum.

Spyderco's generosity was quickly matched by the graciousness and patience of forum members who answered ALL my obvious questions. Having a "damaged"' Delica and how W&R dealt with it, with me, actually opened up a new world of knife appreciation for me.

I'm glad I went that route. Can't recommend it enough.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Edit to delete previous post. Thanks to all at Spyderco. You'all are great. :)
Calm seas do not make skilled sailors.
Last edited by Tdog on Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 12DJ4,

Thanx for your comments. I can say that I have worked with Charlynn for many years and she has always been very professional. Hard to believe that she would intentionally talk down to you. It's not her style. I spoke with here about your comments and she said that the only thing she can think of that you might have taken that way was when she asked yo to wait while she spoke to her manager about your request for replacement, which wasn't normal. I trust you are satisfied with your replacement?

I am truly sorry for your negative experience. We always extend our best effort to serve our customers. Sometimes we need to try harder. I hope the replacement works well for you. I also hope that you continue to visit our forum, with more pleasurable comments. :) I think you will find that we have a great group here.

sal
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

200 HUNDRED SPYDERCOS!!! That is awesome, so please post a picture! I would love to see a collection of 200 Spydies.

Pic or it did not happen!!! :D
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Lets say you had 200 Spyderco's and the average price was a 100 bucks. I suck at math so how much is that spent on Spyderco's? I may be stupid but dayummm big american dollars!!!

lol