Any new Caly models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Any new Caly models?

Post by twinboysdad »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
The maker had some issues that resulted in a decrease in manufacturing quality, which led Spyderco to discontinue that maker's knives.

You keep saying that but it isn't confirmed as true. Moki has had considerable quality issues but is still making knives. The Kiwi4 and caly3.5 as well as maybe some of the fixed blades. I too have had this conversation with Sal in person and I did not get the impression that Moki was down and out.

Sal has said that moving models from one facility to another is touchy. Japanese culture is different than ours and you don't burn bridges there. Tradition, loyalty and respect are important. I have thus far got the impression that the Caly would not be moved and that if Moki couldn't get it together that the Caly would be gone for good. Also, I think that it is Sakai that is working with S30V. I am not sure if Moki has agreed to work with other steels besides japanese steels.

I am thinking it is a sprint run in HAP40 and made by Moki.
Sal absolutely did say the grandson running Moki was not where the grandfather and father were as a manufacturer and that was why the Caly was stopped. This was what upset me in my western thinking...just move the knife production. That was when Sal said you can't just do that based on all the things you stated. Caly ending was a Manu/QC issue for sure
AlwaysTomboy

Post by AlwaysTomboy »

bh49 wrote:
AlwaysTomboy wrote:
bh49 wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:Blurple? :cool: :p
If Spyderco release Caly3/3.5 and it will be available in only blurple or foilage green, I will know for sure that Sal is really hates me :(
Maybe removable scales instead of pinned? Would that even be possible?
not possible. It was discussed before and Sal commented that there is not enogh room for screws. Sadly.
Gotcha. I figured there had to be a reason Caly 3.5 is still pinned but didn't know what it was. Thanks for the info.
(Sent from iPod)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tomboy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Mohawkjk2

Post by Mohawkjk2 »

Sal, any insight on the new steel? I read that Super Gold might be a factor. The Japanese powder steels are so interesting, and I love knives made in Seki . But then again I have loyalty to Crucilbe since its factory is only 3 hours away in Syracuse, NY any new steel from crucible would be awesome
Jmotley

Post by Jmotley »

Hi Sal. Is it only the Caly 3 in the works or would there be a 3.5 as well?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Mohawkjk2 wrote:Sal, any insight on the new steel? I read that Super Gold might be a factor. The Japanese powder steels are so interesting, and I love knives made in Seki . But then again I have loyalty to Crucilbe since its factory is only 3 hours away in Syracuse, NY any new steel from crucible would be awesome
I hope it's Hitachi's SLD-Magic, mainly b/c if you can get a steel with "magic" in the name, I want at least one :D

Whatever steel it is, navy blue g-10 would be amazing.
:spyder:
Mohawkjk2

Post by Mohawkjk2 »

Yeah that would be a great color! And a Magic Caly would be awesome!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I just would like to make a comment about current Moki production. Today I received my new Caly 3.5. Code on the box is EP, meaning than knife was made in May of 2016, so it is pretty current. I consider myself pretty picky knife buyer. After inspection I have to tell: action is great, no any grittiness. No sharp edges on scales, all edges are nicely broken. No any even smallest issues. F&F like in old good Moki time. One sample of cause is not sufficient to give confidence in entire production. But if Calys coming out like mine, this gives a lot of hope for die hard Caly fan. May be with time Sal even will change his mind about clipless Kopa :)
Actually after very close inspection using 10X eye loupe I found a dot on the blade about .002" diameter, which I wiped off with soft clothe :D :D
GIVE ME MORE CALYS
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I just would like to share my experience with current Moki production. Today I received my new Caly 3.5. Code on the box is EP, meaning than knife was made in May of 2016, so it is pretty current. I consider myself pretty picky knife buyer. After inspection I have to tell: action is great, no any grittiness. No sharp edges on scales, all edges are nicely broken. No any even smallest issues. F&F like in old good Moki time. One sample of cause is not sufficient to give confidence in entire production. But if Calys coming out like mine, this gives a lot of hope for die hard Caly fan. May be with time Sal even will change his mind about clipless Kopa :)
Actually after very close inspection using 10X eye loupe I found a dot on the blade about .002" diameter, which I wiped off with soft clothe :D :D
GIVE ME MORE CALYS
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

new Caly

Post by bh49 »

There is one more comment. Every Time, when I am looking at my Calys, I am thinking, why should I buy a knife, which cuts well, when I can buy a knife, which cuts well and in addition looks great. I love these curves.

linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Caly models are my favorite and most carried. Excited about any Caly news!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I've been carrying my "new" VG-10 Caly 3.5 for the past few days because of Sal's announcement of the new Caly 3. It's "new" because I bought it back when they were discontinued and then never carried it. It too is a perfect specimen. I'm not sure when it was made though. I'll check the box.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Mohawkjk2

Post by Mohawkjk2 »

I would love a to get a Kopa, I never had a chance to get one and they're rediculous on eBay when they show up.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mohawkjk2 wrote:I would love a to get a Kopa, I never had a chance to get one and they're rediculous on eBay when they show up.
Keep in the mind that Kopas never were cheap. Spyderco released them 2-4 variants (600 max each) every year starting in 2005. Street prices varied from $100 for least expensive Black Quince up to $190 for Gold mother of Perl and Turquoise. Also please take in consideration that $1 in 2016 most likely is less than in 2005. Out of sport interest once in a while I am watching ebay asking prices as well as sold for Kopas. And yes sometimes asking prices I would say quite high and sometimes sold prices quite reasonable.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Spy ... Complete=1

Mohawkjk2

Post by Mohawkjk2 »

Every time I looked on eBay they were always the more rare Kopas lol. I did have a chance at a black quince once that was close to msrp which I should have jumped on. Also your right about the dollar value from 10 years ago. My first Spyderco was my Native 3, I think I paid $55 for it. However, if there was ever another run of Kopas you can be sure I'll have one!
SpeedHoles

Re: new Caly

Post by SpeedHoles »

bh49 wrote:There is one more comment. Every Time, when I am looking at my Calys, I am thinking, why should I buy a knife, which cuts well, when I can buy a knife, which cuts well and in addition looks great. I love these curves.

Mmmmhmmm, indeed! :)
My hands and pockets also really enjoy the Caly.
Going back to Caly.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

A white steel would be interesting in a sprint or some type of hitachi steel. Carbon preferred in a sprint.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

linuxology wrote:A white steel would be interesting in a sprint or some type of hitachi steel. Carbon preferred in a sprint.
Antique anchor chain iron kuroichi with a white #1 core?

but seriously, Hitachi White paper steel hardened to 64+ RC isn't really a good steel for an all purpose folding knife that has such a slim edge grind, I'd far prefer a modern stainless or semi-stainless and there is no lack of fantastic steel from Japanese makers!

SLD-Magic looks pretty cool http://www.hitachimetals.com/materials- ... -Magic.pdf , but there are plenty of other proven blade steels to choose from, many of which are sure to be significantly cheaper.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I picked up a UKPK at the SFO last month and I am very pleased with the "new" backsping. Until Moki and Sal are happy to get the Calys going again I would not be disappointed if there was a UKPK with a steel upgrade and possibly sexier scales (not that there is anything wrong with the FRN). I might actually prefer the thinner blade stock on the UKPK.

A compromise in the interim might also be a "USPK" - add any lock other than a mid lock to a UKPK. I'm not an expert on Japanese business culture but there may not be any loss of face if a UKPK with say a liner lock went into production ........ The purists would NEVER call it at Caly but we'd have a great design back with a lock and a choice of locks when Caly 3s go back into production at some point.

In the meantime I'll be content with my Kopa, Caly 3s, 3.5s and full size Calypsos, UKPK and DKPK