52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Are the liners in the Military stainless steel or titanium? For whatever reason I always throughly they were titanium but I remember reading that the liners on the 52100 Millie are steel. Anyone know for sure?
Definitely steel. I can see how the lock side could be confused with Ti since it's a similar grayish color. The other side is pretty shiny.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Did it used to be titanium? Maybe that's why they've milled out more of the liner, to make up for the change in material.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Did it used to be titanium? Maybe that's why they've milled out more of the liner, to make up for the change in material.
Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty sure the only Ti came with the frame lock.
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
senorsquare wrote:
Evil D wrote:So I'm having serious second thoughts about carrying this knife at work. Lately I've been carrying my S90V Yojimbo 2, because 1) that steel is way up there in the corrosion resistance department, and 2) this job sometimes puts me in shady places and shady situations so it's peace of mind, and 3) it makes an awesome utility knife. But, today I got caught in one 10 minute down pour and got thoroughly soaked, and stayed soaked for the rest of my shift. It seems that getting that wet and staying that wet, and then having the knife in my pocket where it's warm, is a perfect recipe for rust because I found some rust on the inside of the thumb hole and a little along the spine. It was just light surface rust and literally rubbed off with a q-tip, but it's enough to tell me that 52100 would probably explode in the same environment. There's really no way for me to stop and dry the knife off either, my only option is to put it in my truck and then that defeats the purpose of carrying a knife. I guess I could carry it and then pack a backup knife in my EDC bag, but I think I sweat enough that it's going to be an issue with rain or without. On one hand I wanna throw caution to the wind and let it be what it's gonna be, but on the other hand I'm just not ready to see it all rust.
Did you get a backup? If so, I say carry it and see what happens..

I did. Part of me wants to say screw it and let it go and just do the best I can to keep the rust to a minimum, but the other part of me is more concerned about rust on the pivot and on the lock face. I did grease the pivot while it was apart which I think will go a long way to protect it from rust and I Tuf Glide the rest of the tang and lock face. Even with a backup I'm finding I love this steel so much hate to ruin one of them.
You could always disassemble and force a serious patina on the blade to protect it from rust and just roll with that. :cool:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

farnorthdan wrote:
You could always disassemble and force a serious patina on the blade to protect it from rust and just roll with that. :cool:
Ya know, my M4 Manix had a forced patina AND Tuf Glide and still rusted just from pocket sweat. Maybe I just have really acidic sweat?
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
Ya know, my M4 Manix had a forced patina AND Tuf Glide and still rusted just from pocket sweat. Maybe I just have really acidic sweat?
That could be, I know a few have mentioned the same thing. I know I've been thinking about forcing some kind of patina on my user. Did you see the patina a member over on BF did to theirs? Its killer, I've been tempted to ask how he did his.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

No I don't get over there much. Pics?
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Evil D wrote:No I don't get over there much. Pics?
There's a 52100 thread in the Spyderco sub-forum, last page I believe. :)

Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

farnorthdan wrote:
The instant coffee patina? First time I heard about that... The mustard and bubble-wrap one is quite pretty, looks almost like Damascus. I wonder how long it will stay pretty...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I really like the coffee patina.
The Damascus looking one looks good too...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Brock O Lee wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:
The instant coffee patina? First time I heard about that... The mustard and bubble-wrap one is quite pretty, looks almost like Damascus. I wonder how long it will stay pretty...
Not the coffee patina, this was something different, its on page 5 of that thread,

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

MacLaren wrote:I really like the coffee patina.
I guess it does look kinda like Damascus. :)

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:
MacLaren wrote:I really like the coffee patina.
I guess it does look kinda like Damascus. :)
Lol.....i guess Dan.....not sure what to call it.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

So, I recently received a 52100 mule and yeah, I broke down and got a Millie too. I have decided to put both knives to use. Actually I am planning to use nothing but 52100 for the next 30 days. My idea is to use this steel for everything and try to get a good read on how it performs and how hard it is to maintain. So far I have done food prep, fish cleaning and normal edc stuff. The steel is not quite as hard to maintain as I thought and I haven't had to do anything extreme to keep the rust off of it so far. I've only been using it a few days and it is starting to form a natural patina, but not quite as quick as I thought it would. I am careful to wash and dry it after cutting anything acidic or corrosive, but I have not added ANY oil to the blade. I HAVE however shot a bit of wd40 in the pivot after cleaning fish and washing the pivot out with water. Everything is going fine so far as far as corrosion is concerned.

Regarding performance, it takes a good edge with minimal effort. From what I can tell so far, edge retention seems pretty good. The weak point is the fine edge seems to break down a bit after cutting corrosive/acidic materials, even if I clean it immediately afterwards. Its not that it gets dull, it just seems to lose that high level sharpness a bit faster and I assume this is due to microscopic corrosion at the apex. It is a phenomenon I've observed with m4 but it happens a bit faster with this steel.

All things considered I am enjoying the steel so far and am looking forward to using it and seeing what I learn over the next 30 days.

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Right on Lance, I know I'm totally digging the 52100 Military, I've had to touch mine up a couple times after carrying for almost 2 weeks, super quick touch ups though, maybe a dozen passes per side on the medium SM rods and she's back to hair popping.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lance I'll be looking forward to your results. The corrosion of the edge bit is something to think about. I wonder if a little oil on the edge would slow that down? At least it doesn't take but a few swipes on a SM to being it back.
~David
Ocarr

Post by Ocarr »

Hey guys, do you think taking the edge of this steel to a high polish would assist in slowing any of the corrosion?
swigert

Post by swigert »

Lance we need some pics of that mule.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

swigert wrote:Lance we need some pics of that mule.
+1 Lance, looks like Xplorer really hooked you up. :)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ocarr wrote:Hey guys, do you think taking the edge of this steel to a high polish would assist in slowing any of the corrosion?
It probably won't hurt, but the problem Lance is talking about is on a microscopic level, so even with a polished edge it's still going to happen. All it really means is you can't expect this one to sit in a drawer for a month and be quite as screaming sharp as it was when you left it. That teeny bit of edge degradation will also sharpen off in probably 2 passes on the brown rods.
~David