Nirvana has dropped!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Re: Nirvana has dropped!

Post by Cujobob »

DrtyHarry wrote:Looks very nice!! Has a Sebenza price tag....I think I would like to hear more reviews first before dropping that much coin. I'm curious if there is any blade play...my Sebenzas all feel like fixed blades when open. They don't budge. I love my Spydercos, but they don't lock up as solid as my Sebenzas do. If this locks up as tight as a Sebenza, I'll pick one up!

Harry
I've owned several Sebenzas, currently have one Insingo and one Inkosi, they do lock up solidly but so do my Spyderco knives. I think if you look at knives with thicker blade stock/lockbars you'll see similar results. My Slysz Bowie, Techno and Southard all lock up solid.
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

In all honesty, will anyone actually carry and use this knife? I would be so afraid of getting even the smallest scuff or scratch on it that I would keep it in the safe and only touch occasionally to fondle and admire. That's the struggle I have; buying something so expensive and it serve no other purpose other than pride of ownership. Nothing wrong with that of course, but that is the struggle in my head when I even consider knives like this.

I wish I didn't have this struggle because I would love to have works of art like this. At first the blade not being satin disappointed me but the more I look it over the more I am wanting one.
MaxFactor

Post by MaxFactor »

Spideyhole wrote:In all honesty, will anyone actually carry and use this knife?
I just received mine this afternoon and I plan on carrying and using it. Granted, I have a number of other quality knives so I won't be carrying it every day of the week. The Nirvana is basically all stonewashed, so unless you drop it on some really abrasive surface it shouldn't show too much wear.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Spideyhole wrote:In all honesty, will anyone actually carry and use this knife? I would be so afraid of getting even the smallest scuff or scratch on it that I would keep it in the safe and only touch occasionally to fondle and admire. That's the struggle I have; buying something so expensive and it serve no other purpose other than pride of ownership. Nothing wrong with that of course, but that is the struggle in my head when I even consider knives like this.

I wish I didn't have this struggle because I would love to have works of art like this. At first the blade not being satin disappointed me but the more I look it over the more I am wanting one.
You need to decide your own knife budget for what is 'comfortable' to be carried. For example, I own several thousand dollar customs, I like them each a lot, but they're not perfect for me. So I don't carry them because I will be selling them when I get around to it. I am a little less picky about $600 and under customs because they're a bit easier for me to swallow should I drop them, scratch them up, etc. When I first got into knives, $100 was uncomfortable for me to carry haha... And that was like 3-4 years ago. When you find a knife that checks all of the boxes, it definitely makes it easier to swallow.

On YouTube, Nick Shabazz talks about a cost/carry/comfort curve and it's a real thing. If you're asking the question, you'll probably regret purchasing it. I asked the question on my more expensive knives and regretted it somewhat.
jimmyjohnjohn

Post by jimmyjohnjohn »

Spideyhole wrote:In all honesty, will anyone actually carry and use this knife? I would be so afraid of getting even the smallest scuff or scratch on it that I would keep it in the safe and only touch occasionally to fondle and admire. That's the struggle I have; buying something so expensive and it serve no other purpose other than pride of ownership.
I own several $400-$600 knives. I've sharpened them, carry them and use them like normal knives. I wouldn't buy them if I wasn't going to use them.
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

This is all good feedback. Thanks. I know I would probably feel guilty buying it so I won't, but doesn't stop me from wishing I could. Have never had a super nice knife like this, but if you can't enjoy it because of the expense, what's the point?

I tried telling myself that I will just skip my next 3-4 knives I was gonna get, but I ain't foolin anyone, I'd buy those too. So, will just pass.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Spideyhole wrote:In all honesty, will anyone actually carry and use this knife? I would be so afraid of getting even the smallest scuff or scratch on it that I would keep it in the safe and only touch occasionally to fondle and admire. That's the struggle I have; buying something so expensive and it serve no other purpose other than pride of ownership. Nothing wrong with that of course, but that is the struggle in my head when I even consider knives like this.

Short answer: Yes.

I'm getting one and it will definitely go in my pocket. I do understand the dilemma though. Just picked up a Cruwear Millie that is dang near perfect. There's a part of me that wants to put it in a drawer and keep it perfect. But that is outweighed by the part of me that can't stand to not use such an awesome dang knife. The Cruwear Millie is in my pocket as we speak.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I won't by any knives that I won't use and carry. I have a HUGE Microtech collection with about 20 customs, those I do not carry. However, I'm glad I didn't carry and use them because they are now worth 4-5 times more than what I bought them for. However, I refuse to buy any other new knives that will not see EDC use. I carry a Moon, Shiro, Brend, and a few other pieces....but I ALWAYS have a Millie or a PM2 on me for more "sloppy jobs". If I have a lot of cutting to do....say a ton of cardboard, I'll use one of my Spydercos instead of my Shiro for example. But that's only because I usually have 2-4 blades on me at one time. One of my favorite knives that I carry is a Brend Marauder, however it has a slight recurve and a Tanto point so it doesn't serve as a perfect EDC knife....more so as a self defense blade. As said above, I know some that carry and use $2k Shiro knives....and some that grail a $150 Millie...it's all up to you and your budget. IMHO.

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Another question. How on earth do take this apart to clean if you get grit or dirt in the pivot? Since made of one piece and not two halves, I was just wondering.
rennet

Post by rennet »

Spideyhole wrote:Another question. How on earth do take this apart to clean if you get grit or dirt in the pivot? Since made of one piece and not two halves, I was just wondering.

I'd assume it comes apart the same way as Rassenti's other designs.

https://youtu.be/K_r2SUcH7Ho
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Well crap, that's easy. Cool.
tornado3213

Re: Nirvana blade is locked open and wont close

Post by tornado3213 »

I got mine today, unbelievable design, but my blade locked the moment it opened and its stuck,

Any ideas as to why this happened or what I can do to fix it,

I just got it today opened it, made a nice click sound and now it wont close, I dont want to pry it and my thumb is shot I pryed it with 3 fingers and still wont budge.

I called RIvers Edge and they told me that was the nature of this knife,

WOW any help would be great.

I thought for this kind of money , no one would send out a knife that was not working right.

I Read some things about Magic Marker and Graphite but for this kind of price , i am afraid to try those.

Thank you.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hate to say it but you might need to send it back to Spyderco warranty, that's a real bummer that a $400 knife would do that, I can't imagine your too pleased.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have that issue, but I just make myself use it if I buy it or I don't buy it in the first place. I don't get myself caught up in resale value because I buy knives to use them so unless I end up not liking one after I buy it, there's usually never an urge to sell. I guess if something bad enough ever happens that forces me to need to sell my knives I'll just make less off them.

There's a saying in the car world that I'll use here and I'll try to soften it up some for this forum, but basically it goes something like "not driving your car to keep miles off it for resale value is like not having sex with your hot wife so she's worth more to the next guy". It's worded a bit more bluntly but you get the point lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bwunger

Post by bwunger »

Mine arrived on Saturday and it really is awesome. The fit and finish are just awesome. No play in the blade. The machining and finish on the handle and blade are just great. I can't say how it compares to other knives in this price range but there is certainly a level of attention to detail on this knife that is impressive.

At the same time, there are a few things worth mentioning, just for disclosure's sake. The opening isn't super smooth. It looks to me like this is a new knife issue though. The entire blade is stonewashed, even the surface the detent ball rides over, so you can feel that when the knife opens. I expect the ball will eventually wear it smooth. Maybe if I'm brave enough I'll take it apart and polish it a bit. There's also some lock stick, as expected with a Ti/SS interface, but a bit of graphite and some break-in has made that a non issue.
Current collection: ZDP-189 Delica 4, S110V PM2, St. Nick's 4v Para 3, H1 sheepsfoot Manbug, Kapara, VG-10 Dragonfly, ATS-55 Serrated Delica, ZDP-189 MT04 (not broken yet) + Other non spydercos.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Just a heads up if anyone is currently looking for one of these. They are currently available at Midway USA.
KnifeJunky83

Post by KnifeJunky83 »

The way these are being made in small amounts , I may not get mine from KW until next year ! Haha The bad thing is I'm very impatient !!! So if I see it in Stock somewhere else I'll have to jump on it and cancel at KW !!! lol
:spyder: "A lazy man carries a dull knife" :spyder:
:spyder: "If you're not carrying a knife, you may as well be wearing a skirt!" :spyder:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I hear you knifejunky, still waiting on my KW's pre-order, been tempted to cancel too but got in early at under $400, its actually almost been a blessing with all these other great sprints and exclusives dropping and not getting charged for the Nirvana yet. I will admit though, I'm very eager to get my hands on a Nirvana. I talked to KW's last week and they said I just missed getting mine in the first batch and am next in line when they get their next so hopefully it will be soon.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Expensive but cool..
BTG

Post by BTG »

KnifeJunky83 wrote:The way these are being made in small amounts , I may not get mine from KW until next year ! Haha The bad thing is I'm very impatient !!! So if I see it in Stock somewhere else I'll have to jump on it and cancel at KW !!! lol

That's what I did....didn't get a KC notice, ordered last August, so I called and they said they only got into July orders, so I found one 15 dollars more on Amazon, figured no way anyone's faking this one,through some East Coast shop..had 5 at the time, and I'm too impatient to wait for KC , soooo it arrived on the 12th...has not left my pocket since....little tight at first, I couldn't do my regular thumb flip open, and some lock stick when closing....which was gone in a couple hours...and within a couple days detent smoothed out and now it's perfect. This is going to be #1 EDC for a long time....all others will be rotated at the backup #2 position, and # 3 EDC is ALWAYS a LBHB on keychain ......,#2 has been the Mantra or the Positron for months now....maybe I'll have to start carrying 4.