New Chaparral in 2016?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
demoncase

Re: New Chaparral in 2016?

Post by demoncase »

sal wrote:We're still plannin' on it. We've had 5 handles go bad on us for one reason or another. We've got a few in-the-works with cost in mind.

sal
That's what happens when you push the envelope sometimes, but that's why we love the product...If it was easy then everyone would be doing it!

I'm sure whatever comes next will be beautiful. :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

sal wrote:We're still plannin' on it. We've had 5 handles go bad on us for one reason or another. We've got a few in-the-works with cost in mind.

sal

Thanks Sal. Appreciate the response.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Thorien wrote:Is timascus ever used as a scale material . That stuff looks amazing though I guess it would be costly.

EXTREMELY costly. I think it would have to be on an extremely popular model for anyone to be willing to fork out that sort of money.
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Cujobob wrote:
Thorien wrote:Is timascus ever used as a scale material . That stuff looks amazing though I guess it would be costly.

EXTREMELY costly. I think it would have to be on an extremely popular model for anyone to be willing to fork out that sort of money.

Thanks, as I suspected, shame though - I'd buy one!
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Thorien wrote:
Cujobob wrote:

There are knife modifiers who will put Timascus on your favorite Spydies. I have a bolster on a mini Southard made of Timascus. It kept the cost a bit lower but gives it plenty of wow factor.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Thorien wrote:
Cujobob wrote:

Yes, sir, Timascus is wickedly expensive stuff unfortunately. :( However, I'd just as soon seen a Chaparral with Zirconium scales. That would be sweet.

"Zirconium is like CP titanium in the way it works. It is softer then 6al-4v. The material is softer to cut but creates a bright, whiter spark then Titanium. It is more flammable then Titanium. Anodizes just as well as titanium. The biggest difference is when you heat color it, you get a blackish color to it.
* If you are building a Liner Lock folder then you can use it on both sides for your scales.
* If you are building a frame lock you can use it on your bolsters and on the frame side not locking side since it is not springy like 6al-4v." (Source: http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-blades/m ... -x-12.html)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Here's another thought. Why not do a Chaparral in SS with this type of handle finish? (Photo credit: DutchBlades):

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thorien wrote:
Cujobob wrote:

Yes, sir, Timascus is wickedly expensive stuff unfortunately. :( However, I'd just as soon seen a Chaparral with Zirconium scales. That would be sweet.

"Zirconium is like CP titanium in the way it works. It is softer then 6al-4v. The material is softer to cut but creates a bright, whiter spark then Titanium. It is more flammable then Titanium. Anodizes just as well as titanium. The biggest difference is when you heat color it, you get a blackish color to it.
* If you are building a Liner Lock folder then you can use it on both sides for your scales.
* If you are building a frame lock you can use it on your bolsters and on the frame side not locking side since it is not springy like 6al-4v." (Source: http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-blades/m ... -x-12.html)
Or how about a Scandium-Aluminium alloy?- It's a superlight, superstrong aerospace material with a cool dark grey look.

Already been used by Smith & Wesson in some of their ultra light revolvers....For a gent's folding model it's both subtle and understated in looks and weight reducing so your suit jacket doesn't end up hanging lopsided ;)

I'd also suggest Invar or Stellite- but I have personal experience of how horrible they are to deal with in a manufacturing environment and the thought of having to machine flat knife scales with even a reasonable repeatability from either of those makes me cringe. :(
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I like the sound of Scandium-Aluminium, Demon. Do you have any other information or specs on this material by chance?

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderNut wrote:I like the sound of Scandium-Aluminium, Demon. Do you have any other information or specs on this material by chance?
Fill your boots: http://www.gruppofrattura.it/pdf/ext/MS ... ations.pdf

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Being a luddite simpleton i would be over the moon if it was offered with Cocobolo, African Blackwood or Micarta scales :)
I also don't mind, in fact prefer the pivot screw to be adjustable if you were to put bolsters on it. Don't mind if the rest is riveted as long as the pivot screw isn't.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

demoncase wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:I like the sound of Scandium-Aluminium, Demon. Do you have any other information or specs on this material by chance?
Fill your boots: http://www.gruppofrattura.it/pdf/ext/MS ... ations.pdf
Hey thanks, DC. :)

Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Copper, brass, and bronze are materials I just cannot stand on EDC items. Bad smell, bad weight, damaged too easily, you name it. Zirconium I prefer slightly more but think it's flavor of the month in many ways. Titanium can take many different finishes well and is a great combo of both low weight and durable material.

Some other options: CF bolsters with wooden handles, colored LSCF over ti or steel, Damascus/damasteel bolsters with any handle material.
ScottG

Post by ScottG »

I am on team copper, brass, and/or bronze. The Chaparral is probably my favorite Sypderco product, although it is hard to choose, and the rest of my EDC items are made up of copper, brass, and bronze pieces. The prospect of a Chaparral in one of these materials and the new, smaller "PM3" are the products in the knife world that get me most excited. The only thing that could make it better for me is if the blade was also in a metal that would patina. Image
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I think I may have said this before, but I'd love a full-CF handled Chaparral. Somehow lighter and thinner? I'll take it.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

dplafoll wrote:I think I may have said this before, but I'd love a full-CF handled Chaparral. Somehow lighter and thinner? I'll take it.

I like it.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think this thread deserves a bump. Any news?
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

Wasn't there an FRN one coming out?
:spyder: jstrange
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jstrange wrote:Wasn't there an FRN one coming out?
Yes, I'm not sure if it was this thread or another but Sal mentioned that a Chaparral with FRN is in the works. I don't carry my CF Chap enough but I love that little knife. So adding one with FRN to my stable is a no brainer. Looking forward to this one!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Bronze/Copper would be amazing!!