52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZL1

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by ZL1 »

My steak was pretty good.
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

Got mine today from Bladehq. :D Even better than expected. First impressions: Crafted very well. Blade centered, scales very, very grippy. Dare to say sharpest edge yet received from factory that I've received (the PM2 110v came very sharp). The blade action is not as smooth as my cts-204p millie new. That one came with extreme smoothness easy to flick completely open(204p). I'm sure it will break in nicely though (52100).
New to collecting Spydes, I don't have a millie post the new CQI adjustments, looking vigorously at photos and videos I can appreciate these upgrades.

Originally purchased this as a collector item, I've decided this to be in rotation as an EDC. My rotation is very limited. As I do not normally carry a larger folder, this one is exceptional. I know this isn't a large folder.. Large compared to what I'm normally carrying.
Very happy with my new Millie.
I'm also interested in gaining a patina, looking forward to how that turns out.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Used mine a great deal today....cut several cardboard boxes, paracord, rope, and even decided to have my steak as well with it. I'm very impressed to say the least. I still think I'm going to like the 110 Millie a bit more....wish that one came with CF scales to. Next on deck...hopefully the BHQ PM2 in M4. All I collect from Spyderco are Millies and PM2s....

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

DrtyHarry wrote:Used mine a great deal today....cut several cardboard boxes, paracord, rope, and even decided to have my steak as well with it. I'm very impressed to say the least. I still think I'm going to like the 110 Millie a bit more....wish that one came with CF scales to. Next on deck...hopefully the BHQ PM2 in M4. All I collect from Spyderco are Millies and PM2s....

Harry
I'm with you on the M4 PM2
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Well guys its been a few days. Hows the Patina going?
Mine still lool new Im almost ashamed to say.... :eek:
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

MacLaren wrote:Well guys its been a few days. Hows the Patina going?
Mines coming along nicely Paul, been using it in the kitchen the last couple days cutting up tomatoes, onions a couple papayas even. getting some real nice purplish and blue tones. What I've really noticed about this 52100 is just how easy it is to get a screaming sharp edge on it and the length of time it holds it. This really is one of the nicest Military's I've had the pleasure of owning. ;) :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Well guys its been a few days. Hows the Patina going?
Mines coming along nicely Paul, been using it in the kitchen the last couple days cutting up tomatoes, onions a couple papayas even. getting some real nice purplish and blue tones. What I've really noticed about this 52100 is just how easy it is to get a screaming sharp edge on it and the length of time it holds it. This really is one of the nicest Military's I've had the pleasure of owning. ;) :)
That's awesome Dan. Purplish and blue tones look really good imo. I especially like to hear how easy it is to get razor sharp and how its holds it!
Im gonna have to go ahead and choose which one I want to keep for a user and start using it. Sounds like a lot of fun to use. Thanx for the update Dan.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't used mine much because of work, my patina is getting dull and losing its color. I'm curious if it'll rainbow up again with use.

I really like the steel so far. It's easily the best sharpening steel I've ever used, even beyond the other carbon steels I've used like 1095. I still can't comment much on edge retention but it definitely takes a better edge than the 1095 I've used. I'm debating on having it reground a bit thinner behind the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Evil D wrote:I haven't used mine much because of work, my patina is getting dull and losing its color. I'm curious if it'll rainbow up again with use.
Based on my experience with solid superblue, my guess is no. The raibow only lasts during the honeymoon phase of the patina. As the layers of corrosion build up over time, the patina just turns into a dull grey...

I've started over with a patina by removing the old one with metal polish. Then it's time for rainbows and butteryflies and bunnies hopping happily in the meadows again for a few short weeks. ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Evil D wrote:I haven't used mine much because of work, my patina is getting dull and losing its color. I'm curious if it'll rainbow up again with use.
Based on my experience with solid superblue, my guess is no. The raibow only lasts during the honeymoon phase of the patina. As the layers of corrosion build up over time, the patina just turns into a dull grey...

I've started over with a patina by removing the old one with metal polish. Then it's time for rainbows and butteryflies and bunnies hopping happily in the meadows again for a few short weeks. ;)

How difficult was that to do? Did the blade look "factory" after you removed it? What polish did you use?
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

It was not difficult to do. I used Flitz or Autosol metal polish, cannot remeber anymore. I managed to remove about 95% of the marks, only a few grey spots remained. I then removed all the polish, cleaned the blade with alcohol and started a fresh patina. The new patina developed exactly the same way as the old one, nice and colourful, and then turned dull grey after a few weeks.
Hans

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Brock O Lee wrote:It was not difficult to do. I used Flitz or Autosol metal polish, cannot remeber anymore. I managed to remove about 95% of the marks, only a few grey spots remained. I then removed all the polish, cleaned the blade with alcohol and started a fresh patina. The new patina developed exactly the same way as the old one, nice and colourful, and then turned dull grey after a few weeks.
That is good to know. I will be getting my 52100 Millie tomorrow. Woot. :D My only question is, will using the Flitz or Autosol effectively remove the "bug" logo and lettering from the blade?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

SpyderNut wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:It was not difficult to do. I used Flitz or Autosol metal polish, cannot remeber anymore. I managed to remove about 95% of the marks, only a few grey spots remained. I then removed all the polish, cleaned the blade with alcohol and started a fresh patina. The new patina developed exactly the same way as the old one, nice and colourful, and then turned dull grey after a few weeks.
That is good to know. I will be getting my 52100 Millie tomorrow. Woot. :D My only question is, will using the Flitz or Autosol effectively remove the "bug" logo and lettering from the blade?
No, the laser engraving is very resillient, I haven't seen it fade because of metal polish.
Hans

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Brock O Lee wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
No, the laser engraving is very resillient, I haven't seen it fade because of metal polish.
Thanks man. :) By the way, what do you use to apply the Flitz/Autosol to your blades? (E.g. paper towel, cotton cloth, etc.)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I've had good results using Bar Keepers Friend to remove patina and freshen up carbon steel blades. I've used it on some GEC slipjoints in 1095 but have yet to try it on anything else. YMMV.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

SpyderNut wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Thanks man. :) By the way, what do you use to apply the Flitz/Autosol to your blades? (E.g. paper towel, cotton cloth, etc.)
Pleasure... I normally use a soft cotton cloth.
Hans

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:I've had good results using Bar Keepers Friend to remove patina and freshen up carbon steel blades. I've used it on some GEC slipjoints in 1095 but have yet to try it on anything else. YMMV.
I know that stuff is supposed to be good for not scratching stainless but that's my biggest concern.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So I finally decided which to use and which to put up.
Am very impeessed with how sharp she become after just a few minutes on the SharpMaker. Its just a great time to be a Military owner!
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:
senorsquare wrote:I've had good results using Bar Keepers Friend to remove patina and freshen up carbon steel blades. I've used it on some GEC slipjoints in 1095 but have yet to try it on anything else. YMMV.
I know that stuff is supposed to be good for not scratching stainless but that's my biggest concern.
I have some mild staining on my 52100 right now. I'll do a test with BKF in the next couple of days and post some before and after pics.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Brock O Lee wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
Pleasure... I normally use a soft cotton cloth.
Thank you again, man. Appreciate that.