Check out this cut test clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
10just

Check out this cut test clip

Post by 10just »

Pretty impressive!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHTF0M0gA3Z ... bladeworks

Manix XL looks pretty awesome too, might have to get one.
DrtyHarry

Re: Check out this cut test clip

Post by DrtyHarry »

Wish they came from the factory like that!!

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
swigert

Post by swigert »

Saw this earlier. Impressive.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Wow that was impressive. I just today received a S90V Manix2 XL in the mail, what a beautiful piece. I remember passing on them when they dropped having absolutely no idea at the time what a spectacular knife it is. I think the S90V Yo2 was dropping at the same time and opted for that one.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice, but polished edges are only so good. Try cutting rope with that. Good for shaving or woodwork though.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I agree Jazz. Those bevels are so wide, it tells me the thickness behind the edge bevel is excessive. If it was my knife I would send it for a regrind immediately! :p
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:Nice, but polished edges are only so good. Try cutting rope with that. Good for shaving or woodwork though.
Correct...what Jazz said. ^

When I first learned to take an edge to that level of refinement I started to sharpen all my knives that way. I soon learned though that that type of edge is worthless for cutting rope, worthless for cleaning fish and far less efficient than a more coarse edge for most any edc task I perform. And coarse doesn't mean not sharp. I can finish an edge on a 1200 DMT (or even 600) and still have it pass that kind of push cutting test. The difference is that it will also rip through fibrous material where a polished edge will just slide around on the same material as if it's not even sharp.
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

You can always add a microbevel and have it look just like that and perform just as well. Only a few passes on whatever stones/sharpening system you use and you are good to go.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

DrtyHarry wrote:Wish they came from the factory like that!!
How much extra would you be willing to pay? Time is money, and the time of someone capable of putting an edge like that on a blade isn't going to come cheap. I'm guessing it would add at least $25 to the street price, but I could be off in ether direction.

Plus, as several have pointed out, an edge like that is more for show than for go.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I will often run a polished bevel but run a more coarse microbevel. There are mixed opinions on this but I feel as though the polished bevel reduces friction as the bevel wedges through matter. A bevel finished on the UF stones with a microbevel done with the medium/brown rods works well for me. It looks good and cuts good too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Beautiful bevel but the phone book thing isn't as amazing as it seems. Go try it for yourself and you'll be surprised at how easy it is. I've done it with my Nilakka without a crazy polished bevel, just sharpened on the Sharpmaker.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:Beautiful bevel but the phone book thing isn't as amazing as it seems. Go try it for yourself and you'll be surprised at how easy it is. I've done it with my Nilakka without a crazy polished bevel, just sharpened on the Sharpmaker.
Agreed. Good looking cut test but I'd be more impressed to see them cleanly slicing a single phone book page.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:
Evil D wrote:Beautiful bevel but the phone book thing isn't as amazing as it seems. Go try it for yourself and you'll be surprised at how easy it is. I've done it with my Nilakka without a crazy polished bevel, just sharpened on the Sharpmaker.
Agreed. Good looking cut test but I'd be more impressed to see them cleanly slicing a single phone book page.
Yeah. Push cut a single page at least an inch away from your fingers cutting straight down the page/not away from your fingers. It's much more difficult than carving off the corner of an entire book. If you think about it, most any knife will carve wood, and even with 500+ paged that book is less dense than an equally thick piece of wood.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

beware, the XL is a massive knife, you won't be able to fit your hand in your pocket when carrying it.