Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Re: Rhino

Post by JT »

And to get back on topic, you say you send the blades out to be heat treated. Are you going to do that yourself sometime in the future? For what I understand, the kiln and other stuff is pretty costly unless DIY, but that must be another intriguing part of the knife making passion, like forging.

SSooo, shall we see a hand forged FB Rhino one day? :cool: :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JT wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: The last few years that I hunted, I generally put my bow aside and just took pleasure in taking pictures of the deer and other wildlife. Talk about a cathartic experience.

:D :D
Funny but true, I bought a Nikon D3200 about a year ago, and been "shooting" with it alot.. but I'm still on the trial-and-error phase, can't say it' a hobby yet :D Dang apertures and exposures and ISO:s... soooo much to learn.

I've got the 18-55mm, and 70-200mm and 35mm lenses so far. Actually should have listened to the experienced guys, and stick with the kit lens until I've learned how to take decent pics :D
That sounds like a lot of fun! I've always wanted to learn more about professional photography, but I keep procrastinating. :p A good picture is indeed worth a thousand words. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JT wrote:And to get back on topic, you say you send the blades out to be heat treated. Are you going to do that yourself sometime in the future? For what I understand, the kiln and other stuff is pretty costly unless DIY, but that must be another intriguing part of the knife making passion, like forging.

Good question, JT. I am planning to purchase a heat-treating oven so I can heat-treat blades here in my shop. Although I am not making knives in high volume, it would still be more economical in the long run to heat-treat here rather than continue sending blades out for heat-treating. I've heard good things about Evenheat's ovens, although they are a bit pricey. I am also planning to get another grinder (2x72) with an interchangeable platens/wheels so I can do hollow-ground blades as well as full-flat. Right now, my main priority is getting a mill so I can have more versatility with my folders.

A forged fixed-blade Rhino sounds like fun to me. Maybe in 52100 and stag handle scales? :) :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

SpyderNut wrote:
JT wrote:And to get back on topic, you say you send the blades out to be heat treated. Are you going to do that yourself sometime in the future? For what I understand, the kiln and other stuff is pretty costly unless DIY, but that must be another intriguing part of the knife making passion, like forging.

Good question, JT. I am planning to purchase a heat-treating oven so I can heat-treat blades here in my shop. Although I am not making knives in high volume, it would still be more economical in the long run to heat-treat here rather than continue sending blades out for heat-treating. I've heard good things about Evenheat's ovens, although they are a bit pricey. I am also planning to get another grinder (2x72) with an interchangeable platens/wheels so I can do hollow-ground blades as well as full-flat. Right now, my main priority is getting a mill so I can have more versatility with my folders.

A forged fixed-blade Rhino sounds like fun to me. Maybe in 52100 and stag handle scales? :) :D
I have no experience with their knife ovens, but I have used two Evenheat glass kilns for the last 10 years with absolutely no issues at all.

I am a fan.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Hoping this knife is released soon I can't wait to get one
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JT

Post by JT »

SpyderNut wrote: A forged fixed-blade Rhino sounds like fun to me. Maybe in 52100 and stag handle scales? :) :D
Steel choice is yours, but stag handle all the way! Or maybe a 11" Reinhold Bowie? That would be awesome too :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just pre-ordered a Rhino. Not sure if I'll get one right away but I can shop around when they drop and see if I can find one.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
foofie

Post by foofie »

I just got the midyear product guide. I had originally written off the rhino as too small - until I saw the scale drawing. I then read all 10 pages of this thread. I am now super excited to try one of these knives. I am becoming a fan of the trailing point - in fixed blades to date. Looking forward to using it in a folder as well.

Thank you for your collab and sharing the awesome process.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PanChango wrote: I have no experience with their knife ovens, but I have used two Evenheat glass kilns for the last 10 years with absolutely no issues at all.

I am a fan.
That is good to know, PanChango. I appreciate the feedback on that. I've also looked at Paragon knife ovens and I see that Ed Fowler also uses them. It's always good to have celebrity endorsements, eh? ;)
Spydergirl88 wrote:Hoping this knife is released soon I can't wait to get one
Me too, Spydergirl. :) I haven't seen the finished knife in person yet, so I am starting to get a little antsy. :p :D
JT wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: A forged fixed-blade Rhino sounds like fun to me. Maybe in 52100 and stag handle scales? :) :D
Steel choice is yours, but stag handle all the way! Or maybe a 11" Reinhold Bowie? That would be awesome too :)
11" Bowie, eh? That would be a fun project. :D My brother-in-law has been hounding me for a full-sized Bowie for a while now. I'd love to do one some day. Seems like Doc Snubnose has an affinity for EDC'ing full-size Bowies too, so maybe I can pick his brain for some ideas...
Sharp Guy wrote:I just pre-ordered a Rhino. Not sure if I'll get one right away but I can shop around when they drop and see if I can find one.
That is awesome, man. I'm glad to hear that. :) I see that several of the larger online knife retailers now have the Rhino listed for pre-order only. Hopefully it will be here soon.
foofie wrote:I just got the midyear product guide. I had originally written off the rhino as too small - until I saw the scale drawing. I then read all 10 pages of this thread. I am now super excited to try one of these knives. I am becoming a fan of the trailing point - in fixed blades to date. Looking forward to using it in a folder as well.

Thank you for your collab and sharing the awesome process.
Thank you for the feedback and interest in the design, Foofie. I really appreciate that. I'm hoping you will like it. :) Welcome to the forum too, by the way!

timlara

Post by timlara »

I'm seeing the Rhino pre-orders listed in a couple places at less than $50 street price...is that accurate? I really didn't expect it to be that affordable, especially since it's a collaboration model.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you...I was just expecting it to be closer to a Chaparral in price than a Cat. Seems like a great bargain if true!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Yesterday I got mid-year catalog. IMHO Rhino's blade is the best looking.
Great job Michael.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

timlara wrote:I'm seeing the Rhino pre-orders listed in a couple places at less than $50 street price...is that accurate? I really didn't expect it to be that affordable, especially since it's a collaboration model.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you...I was just expecting it to be closer to a Chaparral in price than a Cat. Seems like a great bargain if true!
Yes, I was a pleasantly surprised too. ;) The MSRP is listed at $79.95 for the Rhino, but the "out-the-door" cost on several online retailers is set at around $48.00. I agree--I previously suspected that the Rhino was going to sell for around the cost of a Chap or Air. To me, $48 is a pretty nice deal! :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Yesterday I got mid-year catalog. IMHO Rhino's blade is the best looking.
Great job Michael.
Hi Roman,
I really appreciate that. :) I'm not sure if it is the "best" looking blade in the catalog, but hopefully it will be a useful blade. ;) :D

JT

Post by JT »

SpyderNut wrote:
11" Bowie, eh? That would be a fun project. :D My brother-in-law has been hounding me for a full-sized Bowie for a while now. I'd love to do one some day. Seems like Doc Snubnose has an affinity for EDC'ing full-size Bowies too, so maybe I can pick his brain for some ideas...
Your brother-in-law sounds like a decent guy :)
Check out Bill Bagwell Bowie's, to get the design juices flowing.. :D :D
Sirens1

Post by Sirens1 »

The Rhino is really growing on me and I cannot wait to pick up a couple. I'm guessing this will be a pretty good seller. Heck, I'm already looking forward to sprint runs!
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'm looking forward to this thing dropping. Under $50 seems very reasonable.
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

Got the product guide and I'm looking forward to getting it! Seems around d the size of my spyderco cat. Sounds perfect to me!
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Looks like these will start shipping in a month(ish)

https://twitter.com/SpydercoKnives/stat ... 2214531072

Very happy with the timing of the release on this one. My DF2 is getting nervous that it will lose it's place as my go-to shorts knife :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JT wrote: Your brother-in-law sounds like a decent guy :)
Check out Bill Bagwell Bowie's, to get the design juices flowing.. :D :D
I agree, Bagwell is a master at his craft. I also love the work of Mike Ruth Jr., David Lisch, and Jerry Fisk. Those guys actually make it look easy. :D

Sirens1 wrote:The Rhino is really growing on me and I cannot wait to pick up a couple. I'm guessing this will be a pretty good seller. Heck, I'm already looking forward to sprint runs!
Thanks, man! A Sprint is a welcomed thought. I wonder if they'd ever do an Elmax Rhino? :)

Spydersense wrote:I'm looking forward to this thing dropping. Under $50 seems very reasonable.
Stay tuned, but it sounds like it is getting pretty close!
JasonC6612 wrote:Got the product guide and I'm looking forward to getting it! Seems around d the size of my spyderco cat. Sounds perfect to me!
Thank you, Jason. I hope you will like it. :)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

KnickKnackCity wrote:Looks like these will start shipping in a month(ish)

https://twitter.com/SpydercoKnives/stat ... 2214531072

Very happy with the timing of the release on this one. My DF2 is getting nervous that it will lose it's place as my go-to shorts knife :D
Now THAT is some good news! :D :D :D I just now saw your post few moments ago and I am pretty tickled to hear this. Thank you greatly for posting this info, KnickKnack. You have made my weekend a very happy one. ;)