Quintessential Small Spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Quintessential Small Spydie?

Post by Surfingringo »

Fanch_Man wrote:
I guess I should clarify what I mean by "quintessential" as that may not have been the best choice of words. While I'm certainly interested in Spydies that are tried-and-true - even historic - designs, if there are new ones that you guys think especially excel in form and function while keeping the Spyderco ethos, I'm very interested in those, as well. The Firefly and Mantra have come up, I think those pretty well embody kind of what I'm looking for.
In that case get a Mantra. It is essentially a titanium Delica with a flipper and m4 steel. I don't have one yet but I've handled the knife extensively and I actually prefer the ergonomics to the Delica (which is one of my all time favorites). It hasn't been around long enough to get the love it deserves but it is an awesome design.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I love small Spyderco knives. I also have several of the ones mentioned in this thread, and I love all of them. If I had to pick just one, I'd have a stroke. Barring the stroke, I would probably pick one of my Dragonfly 2s, although it really is a tossup between them for me.
Surfingringo wrote:
Fanch_Man wrote:
I guess I should clarify what I mean by "quintessential" as that may not have been the best choice of words. While I'm certainly interested in Spydies that are tried-and-true - even historic - designs, if there are new ones that you guys think especially excel in form and function while keeping the Spyderco ethos, I'm very interested in those, as well. The Firefly and Mantra have come up, I think those pretty well embody kind of what I'm looking for.
In that case get a Mantra. It is essentially a titanium Delica with a flipper and m4 steel. I don't have one yet but I've handled the knife extensively and I actually prefer the ergonomics to the Delica (which is one of my all time favorites). It hasn't been around long enough to get the love it deserves but it is an awesome design.
Having said that, this right here is very true. I'd pick my Mantra over my Delica any day. It's absolutely spectacular. If you let me have two knives, it would be the Mantra and a Dragonfly.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Fanch_Man wrote:Hello all,
Welcome to the Forum.
Enjoy your stay or run, if you can :D Spending time here will not ends well for your valet.
Fanch_Man wrote: I currently have a Bradley Air and a carbon fiber Kopa, and they are perfect.
congrats on Kopa. It is good find and great knife. I carried Kopa Cocobolo for years.
Fanch_Man wrote: I'm really wanting to limit my collection to 5 Spydies that I REALLY love to both fondle AND use.
We all did. Please update us how does it work for you in 6 month
Fanch_Man wrote: SO, to the question: what Spydie folders should I get to round out my "collection?" What knives do you think represent Spyderco form and function the best? My preferences are for smaller knives, 3.25" up to maybe 4.25" handle length. I think the Mantra (which I'm really wanting to check out) is as big as I'd consider. I'm hoping the Para 3/Para Mini comes inside that range. I'm currently considering Native 5 Ti, Chap 1, Dragonfly G-10, Mantra, Positron, Dice, Mini Persian, and CF Kiwi.
1. Ti Fluted N5 will be a great choice. The knife has a great look and fantastic ergos. Countoured scales feels very nice in the hand. S35Vn is quite good and no hussle to sharpen. Probably it is currently my favorite out of entire Native family.
2. 75 mm Persian is a good knife. Make sure that you will get 75 mm Persian and not 75 mm Persian2. P2 is a good knife, but is not as special as original for me.
3. Do not forget Sharpmaker.
4. nobody mentioned Memory??????????? great looking knife and an exellent slicer.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Fanch_Man wrote: I've considered "little knives" like the Manbug and Jester, but since I usually only carry one folder with me on a given day (besides a SAK, usually Cadet), I'd rather have something a *little* more potent and...fulfilling?...to carry.
1. It cannot be any good reason to carry just one knife.
2. I am sure that Jester will outcut Cadet. ZDP189 FFG Ladybug is also sweet.
3. Nobody counts key-chain knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

These are all great suggestions. I will add the Ladybug Hawkbill and one of the Sages as other great options.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

G10 DF2 is a winner

Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Best small spyderco imo is the techno

Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Double post sorry
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You have some great suggestions and I now have (and enjoy) many of the models mentioned. Haven't tried a Mantra yet but I think I will soon. I'll also add that you might want to look at something from the Sage series. The Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4 (if you can find one) are all great! Not too big & not too small. The new Sage 5 with compression lock should be out sometime in the near future. The Sage is about the size (I assume) as the Lil' Para should be but a little different handle & blade shape.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another vote for the Dragonfly 2 here. Also, if you were to go for the Firefly I can tell you that it is really close to the Dragonfly's size. When closed, both knives have virtually the same length and overall size. When open, the Firefly has more blade length. The dragonfly is a much more ergonomic design though, but the choil does 'eat up' some blade length. Have fun deciding; to me, the hunt always provides the most fun in this hobby.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mr Blonde wrote:Another vote for the Dragonfly 2 here. Also, if you were to go for the Firefly I can tell you that it is really close to the Dragonfly's size. When closed, both knives have virtually the same length and overall size. When open, the Firefly has more blade length. The dragonfly is a much more ergonomic design though, but the choil does 'eat up' some blade length. Have fun deciding; to me, the hunt always provides the most fun in this hobby.
One thing to consider is that the most expensive DF2s retail for around half of what the Firefly retails, and is, to me, a functionally better design. Aesthetics and cost concerns are personal preference.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Leeroy37 wrote:G10 DF2 is a winner

Yes it is! A very solid little knife!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

dplafoll wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:Another vote for the Dragonfly 2 here. Also, if you were to go for the Firefly I can tell you that it is really close to the Dragonfly's size. When closed, both knives have virtually the same length and overall size. When open, the Firefly has more blade length. The dragonfly is a much more ergonomic design though, but the choil does 'eat up' some blade length. Have fun deciding; to me, the hunt always provides the most fun in this hobby.
One thing to consider is that the most expensive DF2s retail for around half of what the Firefly retails, and is, to me, a functionally better design. Aesthetics and cost concerns are personal preference.
Oh yes, absolutely. The DF2 is cheaper and a much nicer/better user EDC. Still, that Firefly brings -to me- a sense of enjoyment as a collector that is tough for 'simple' FRN/G-10 to match ;)
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Mr Blonde wrote:
dplafoll wrote:
Oh yes, absolutely. The DF2 is cheaper and a much nicer/better user EDC. Still, that Firefly brings -to me- a sense of enjoyment as a collector that is
tough for 'simple' FRN/G-10 to match ;)
Oh yeah, certainly. If I were going on price alone, I wouldn't have a Techno or Mantra, or even the non-VG10 DF2s. :D
Patrick LaFollette
araneae

Post by araneae »

You need a D'fly, I recommend you try FRN. The delica is a staple for a reason too. Welcome aboard.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Nate

Post by Nate »

Recycled pic, but these are a few of my favorite little big knives:

The Caly 3 also belongs here, but the profile is about the same as the UKPK anyway.
:spyder:
JT

Post by JT »

Welcome to the addiction, now go and hide your wallet. IF you can keep it to 5 knives, very good. If not, and IF you are going to carry and use them as well as collect, you need a Dragonfly, Delica and Endura. Manix, Paramillie and Millie are "the norm" too.

Also, you need to check out Spyderco's excellent hawkbills and Reverse-S knives. Ladybug hawkbill,Cricket,Meerkat reverse S, Dodo, Tasman Salt, Harpy,Lil Matriarch, Matriarch2,Karahawk, Civilian etc.. :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
BTG

Post by BTG »

One on your first post I haven't seen mentioned much is the positron....really love this knive, been with a PM2 main and Positron backup for months now...I love Ti and thought the Mantra would get a ton of pocket time..it just can't bump the positron..the 2 are very similar size flippers..lucky for you, all great knives, no bad choices and I'm sure you'll love whatever you decide on.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sure, the Dragonfly is a decent knife, but I prefer the Copilot to it. Just feels up the hand better for me. The Navigator is also an interesting small knife.

DFly2 is worth every penny but the small knife sector is flooded with much cheaper options. On a budget the Ambitious is an oft-overlooked small tank of a knife that is every bit as good as its more famous big brother.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

zhyla wrote:DFly2 is worth every penny but the small knife sector is flooded with much cheaper options.
cheaper doesn't mean better