Impulse Bought Byrd Crossbill.

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
shoggoth80

Impulse Bought Byrd Crossbill.

Post by shoggoth80 »

So, it's been a while since I scratched the knife itch. Lol. Decided I wanted something mean looking. Well, meaner looking.
I really like the idea of a Spyderco Civilian, but as much as I want one of those, it's not exactly an inexpensive option. So I impulse ordered a Byrd Crossbill stainless, with a combo edge last night. Mostly just to see the blade type, handle it, and see if it is something that I wouldn't mind investing more heavily in. Also looking at a Matriarch, or a Cold Steel Black Talon 2 as similar styled knives. I know, boo-hiss.... lol.

I've got a Cara Cara 2, and a Resilience, and think they are both pretty nice for the roles that I purchased them for. The Cara Cara gets whomped on a lot (as in I pack it around every day, use it, abuse it). The Resilience is my larger defensive not-at-work knife. Like the feel, and what little bit of heft it has. Pretty fluid in hand.

I get the reasons behind why S curved, and hawkbills work well in defensive roles. I've watched videos on the use of the Civilian (believe it was a James Keating video), and it looks pretty gnarly. As a last ditch sort of save your skin tool, it probably should be.

What says the hive mind? Worst impulse buy ever? Lol.
araneae

Re: Impulse Bought Byrd Crossbill.

Post by araneae »

I have the g10 versions but don't really use them often. Hawkbills have limited uses in most scenarios. My favorite is the ladybug salt which sees way more pocket time than the crossbill.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

Excellent impulse buy :D Iv'e been wanting one too just too many options right now my head is spinning :eek:
I too love the hawkbills and reverse s blades, really unique and cut like a devil.
Take care & keep it up,Matt.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
shoggoth80

Post by shoggoth80 »

I like it. Feels more substantial than the Cara Cara 2.

20160625_121526-1.jpg