52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by MacLaren »

Good gracious......Id LOVE LOVE LOVE to have an M390 Millie.....of course the 204P version will be super close.
Also had no idea there was a BG42 Millie!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

M390 and 204p is pretty much exactly the same steel according the zknives.

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think my second one will be in the mail today. Hard to tell with the less than great tracking system. Most times it'll be in my hand and won't say delivered yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wmcbride

Post by wmcbride »

Good luck EvilD!
swigert

Post by swigert »

Got mine. First impressions:

- centered
- very sharp
- no problems with my CF
- grind heights aren't perfect (no big deal, it's a user)
- love the clip
- cqi is great. I'm gonna clear some other knives out this week and grab the KW Millie after seeing the cqi. This make me a military fan after all.
- reminds me how much I love a good sprint. So much fun to.be in the search and finally get it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thats awesome Colin!
My KW Millie will be here Monday.
The blade on the new Millie comes out like a rocket ;)
swigert

Post by swigert »

MacLaren wrote:Thats awesome Colin!
Seriously. Should have mentioned that.

Detent is really strong. Which is great because of the tip down. Just my preference that it would have a strong detent.

And when you get past it really flies out fast. Mine will also drop freely when the liner lock is used. Perfection.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

swigert wrote:

Detent is really strong. Which is great because of the tip down. Just my preference that it would have a strong detent.

And when you get past it really flies out fast. Mine will also drop freely when the liner lock is used. Perfection.
Man, you got a PERFECT specimen. Congrats.
Mine is ogf center just a hair to the right. But hardly enough to notice.
Hang onto that Mille ;)
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Yeah, my 52100 is mega smooth with no side to side play. Only the BBS Blue S90V and M390 versions have been this smooth out of the box.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Second did indeed come in the mail but I'm stuck at work. Gonna be late before I get to see it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Just cut up an apple with the one I delegated as my user, let the patina begin :D instant results, I'm thinking about sticking it a onion and letting it sit for a bit like David recommended to see what that does. So far I'm loving this sprint, out of the few I've received all were pretty much perfect, they really did do a nice job on this run. :) :spyder:
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

I think if someone gets more in at a decent price I might buy me another so I can use one. Started to buy one at SSK but since I live in the same state as them the tax killed it.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

farnorthdan wrote:Just cut up an apple with the one I delegated as my user, let the patina begin :D instant results, I'm thinking about sticking it a onion and letting it sit for a bit like David recommended to see what that does. So far I'm loving this sprint, out of the few I've received all were pretty much perfect, they really did do a nice job on this run. :) :spyder:
Dan, what would think about cutting raw meat, like steak?
I just remember the ole butcher knives and how they looked. Blood is acidic I believe plus it has the animal fat as well. Could produce an interesting patina?
If my KC 52100 comes thru, then I will prolly try it...
swigert

Post by swigert »

MacLaren wrote:
swigert wrote:

Hang onto that Mille ;)
It certainly is a good one. Crazy the patina will take. I got some light staining from cutting a cooked Italian sausage. Crazy.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

swigert wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
swigert wrote:

Hang onto that Mille ;)
It certainly is a good one. Crazy the patina will take. I got some light staining from cutting a cooked Italian sausage. Crazy.
Good deal ;)
If my KC order comes thru Im thinkin about cutting raw meat like a ribeye steak etc.....
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MacLaren wrote:
farnorthdan wrote:Just cut up an apple with the one I delegated as my user, let the patina begin :D instant results, I'm thinking about sticking it a onion and letting it sit for a bit like David recommended to see what that does. So far I'm loving this sprint, out of the few I've received all were pretty much perfect, they really did do a nice job on this run. :) :spyder:
I just remember the ole butcher knives and how they looked. Blood is acidic I believe plus it has the animal fat as well. Could produce an interesting patina?
Meat will definitely create a dark patina over time. I have a couple of m4 blades that I clean fish with on a regular basis. They both have dark patinas but both are very resistant to any actual rusting or pitting. I never oil them after use, just rinse the fish blood off, dry them and put em away.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Surfingringo wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Meat will definitely create a dark patina over time. I have a couple of m4 blades that I clean fish with on a regular basis. They both have dark patinas but both are very resistant to any actual rusting or pitting. I never oil them after use, just rinse the fish blood off, dry them and put em away.
My GB1 is that exact way.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Surfingringo wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Ah ha.....thank you Lance.
I should've figured just to ask you. You cut a whole lot of meat.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yeah. Fruit stains faster but blood/meat will do it too. My Bradley Bowie discolored just a little after breaking down half a pig. I was surprised about that as I have processed many, many deer with steels like 1095 and psf27 is basically D2 which is much more stainless than 1095. It is all about pH. The more tart the fruit the faster the stain. Granny Smiths make it happen fast in my experience as they are a tart apple.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Surfingringo wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Meat definitely creates a patina, funny thing though, my caly 3 SB that I had been getting a nice blue/purple patina going from cutting fruit was erased from cutting up some chicken strips the other day, I was kinda surprised by that. I know beef creates some nice patina so not sure what happened with the chicken :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."