Titanium military question?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Croix

Titanium military question?

Post by Croix »

I recently scored this knife at the local knife store.
Everything is top quality and seems legitimate.

However, I can not find the circled notch in the steel insert in the 2016 product guide nor in any YouTube videos.

Is this knife a older or more recent version of the C36tip?
Attachments
2016-06-24 19.19.34.png
farnorthdan

Re: Titanium military question?

Post by farnorthdan »

Newer, earlier version had no lock insert.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
v8r

Post by v8r »

Looks like the lead in for the laser. May have been out of focus/center, or maybe the feed rate was too high. Bottom line only cosmetic, and shouldn't hurt function.
To answer your question, it would be a newer model. Mine is a first year production with no lock bar insert.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Mine has a notch in the exact spot. I believe its like the notch found on the pm2 liners. A remnant left form cutting the piece out.
Croix

Post by Croix »

Awesome, I did notice it in PM2 liners also. I love the knife. I don't know what took me so long to buy a millie.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Do you have the box? There is a 2-letter code which reveals the month and year of production. Second, in the tang of the blade you can also find this, in numbers. However to see this you have disassemble the knife and it will void your warranty.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Croix wrote:Awesome, I love the knife. I don't know what took me so long to buy a millie.
Me too, also recently purchased one. :rolleyes:
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Been wanting a ti Millie for a long time, but can't seem to find one for price I can pay. I blew it on the exchange. Guy had one bnib for $160 and I hesitated and someone jumped in on me. Kick myself.
johns

Post by johns »

toomzz wrote:Do you have the box? There is a 2-letter code which reveals the month and year of production.
Could you show this code or tell me which letters to look at?
I have one I wonder about too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The code is a two letter alphabet code on the end of the box, like AK or CL. The first is the month and the second is the year. My Millie is BO. B is the second letter of the alphabet so that is February, the second month of the year. O is the 15th letter so that is 2015. My knife was made in February 2015.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
johns

Post by johns »

Doc Dan wrote:The code is a two letter alphabet code on the end of the box, like AK or CL. The first is the month and the second is the year. My Millie is BO. B is the second letter of the alphabet so that is February, the second month of the year. O is the 15th letter so that is 2015. My knife was made in February 2015.
I never knew that was what they meant - Thank you!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

No problem. Glad to help. If you ever take your millie appart you apparently will see the date stamped on the blade tang near the pivot hole. I have not bothered to take mine apart.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050