Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Re: Unabridged Unapologetic Case for the Para Military 2 Left Hand *

Post by JT »

How the heck did I miss this thread? :eek:

I'm in! The only problem would be to choose which Spydie deserves the price... Para2, fine, I'm cool with that.Yo2 for sure. But how about a lefty Techno, Cricket, or ATR ;)

Maybe Millie, Para2 or Yo2 would be the choices, if Golden is the easiest place to make a small run. Not to be negative, but small run might drive the price up, if the collectors would want to hoard them... I dunno.
Let's see where this thread leads to.. :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Hey lefties don't let this thread die and as I said earlier... I would love it in S35VN and moonglow side scales. :D
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I'd be in for a lefty PM2. Cruwear? In the meantime I've got me some lefty compression lock, ( liscenced from Spyderco) goodness going on thanks to Smock Knives!
image.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Sully

Post by Sully »

What a beauty, spyderg! Great EDC size too. Thanks for posting such lefty compression lock goodness!

Cruwear certainly would work for me too.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would probably buy a lefty para because I think it would work better for me right handed.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Donut wrote:I would probably buy a lefty para because I think it would work better for me right handed.
I don't have any trouble with the standard PM2 as a lefty, however when closing it by using my thumb to flick it closed, fingers clear of the blade travel, it leaves not much grip on the knife. The only thing touching is the tip of my thumb on that side of the knife. The SK23 actually has the lock release on the same side but my whole thumb and part of my palm is in contact with the handle for very secure grip. I really hope Spyderco and Kevin Smock collaborate on an SK23, I think it would work great to do it like the Mantras, one with a usable spydie hole and one without!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I bought a LH Millie but it's bigger than what I prefer to carry. I still don't own a PM2, but I'd definitely buy a LH model in whatever configuration. Maybe pick a new color for the G10? S30V or similar is just fine for me.
Sully

Post by Sully »

fanglekai wrote:I bought a LH Millie but it's bigger than what I prefer to carry. I still don't own a PM2, but I'd definitely buy a LH model in whatever configuration. Maybe pick a new color for the G10? S30V or similar is just fine for me.
I agree, and am psyched to see more and more fellow lefties carrying the flag! I also believe anything other than basic black G10 will actually help sales of an LH, an inherently unique knife. I'm partial to green, as I've previously stated. Wouldn't dark green G10 make it somewhat more interesting while still being conservative enough not to turn off most buyers? I'm very fine with S30V, too, have had great experience with it. Yet can't argue with the idea others suggested that such a rare grail as a new Spyderco LH, a lifetime knife for many lefties, should be paired with a "special" steel.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

Sully wrote:
fanglekai wrote:I bought a LH Millie but it's bigger than what I prefer to carry. I still don't own a PM2, but I'd definitely buy a LH model in whatever configuration. Maybe pick a new color for the G10? S30V or similar is just fine for me.
I agree, and am psyched to see more and more fellow lefties carrying the flag! I also believe anything other than basic black G10 will actually help sales of an LH, an inherently unique knife. I'm partial to green, as I've previously stated. Wouldn't dark green G10 make it somewhat more interesting while still being conservative enough not to turn off most buyers? I'm very fine with S30V, too, have had great experience with it. Yet can't argue with the idea others suggested that such a rare grail as a new Spyderco LH, a lifetime knife for many lefties, should be paired with a "special" steel.
Moonglow side scales, yes-yes-yes. :)

S30V is sure fine and dandy but S35VN is a small improvement with no extra or very little extra cost.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Yes - bring forth the LH Compression Locks !
one thing i don't like about my PM is the nested comp lock - on the ATR where it is integral, i can easily unlock it left handed, but the PM is a bit tricky.

the Gunting is a piece of cake to unlock - pinch the grip with centre, ring and pinky fingers and palm, thumb in the hole, pull lock with the index finger, rotate blade closed with the thumb (or put the thumb on the pivot and flick it open/closed with a flip of the wrist)

Please Sal, can we have a sprint run of LH Paramillies ?
francoiski

Post by francoiski »

I am happy to have found this topic here and as a fellow leftie and Spyderco user I just have to post in order to keep this topic alive and hope for the best :) Right handed persons have it so nice since they control the market and have access to so many great options (I am not complaining, it is just how things are). I just wish that I could have the same choices and not care about my natural preferences...Oh so many times have I decided not to purchase a knife because it is liner locked or not ambi. Even if a compression lock can be handled with your left hand, it just doesn't "feel right" and I can't convince myself to fork out the money to buy something not totally designed for me.

I would not hope Spyderco to put the effort into making a LH para 2, after all is it worth the money? However maybe bringing back the LH Millie since it has been done before, cannot be that difficult. If it is done I would have the opportunity to buy it new and not settle for a used one.

My post is mainly a repeat of this whole thread but I had to say something to keep it living! Thanks for the understanding!

Bonus: A review of the LH Millie by The Apostle P on Youtube: It's basically a nice hommage to the Millie and a "thank you Spyderco" for thinking about the lefties! :) https://youtu.be/RYtmyrU3BoI
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Hi everyone! I've just joined up to spyderco forums to post on this thread. I would love to have the opportunity to buy a couple of lefty compression lock pm2's I have never gotten used to closing the knife and always have to use two hands to close the knife for fear of dropping the knife.
I would also love another run of lefty military's as the spydie military was banned in my country until last November and I have been looking for one for months with no luck. I would probably buy two of each to be honest-just so I wouldn't be scared to use such a rare knife.
I really like a larger blade and carry my endura a lot, I also bought a resilience but still find myself wanting the military.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Nate

Post by Nate »

I'll add my name to the list of buyers for a new lefty run, be it a new lh Millie, PM2, or both!

I'm really bummed to not be in on the 52100 Millie sprint, but realized a while ago that I don't want any more right-hand liner locks, (or frame locks,) which has automatically crossed a LOT of otherwise very attractive newer offerings off the list for me. I had one of the Cruwear Millies, but ultimately traded it off b/c I always prefered my lefty.

I know it's a niche market and really can't complain when Spyderco does offer so many full-ambi options, but I'd absolutely jump at the opportunity to add more dedicated left hand blades to my collection.
:spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Welcome Shaztec, thanks for posting!
Sully

Post by Sully »

Welcome aboard, Shaztec! So glad you joined in, us lefties need to make ourselves heard. Hope you enjoy the forum and have a lot more to say.

Welcome back, Nate! Your expertise and lefty views have been missed.

It really would be exciting, especially for all of us patient lefties, if Spyderco did introduce a dedicated lefty folder into the lineup once again. IMHO, the PM2 seemed the ideal candidate based on its intense popularity, the coveted compression lock and it's <3.5" blade, among other attributes. Add a non-black G10 (green?) handle and it becomes even more interesting. A lefty version of the upcoming smaller PM3, as many have suggested, may be an even better idea....though it would be an even longer wait.

A Lefty Millie resurrection would be great too, of course. As I mentioned from the start, the 4" blade is too large for my daily uses and carry, but I'd also jump at the opportunity for any Lefty Spydie.

Sal generously mentioned the possibility of a run of 500 pieces made in Golden awhile back. Realizing he's been extremely busy whipping up the Jazz Delica prototype among so many other stellar designs, I still can't help but be immensely curious and hopeful regarding where that initial lefty discussion with Eric, Tom and crew lead.

Sal, please update us when you get a chance? Thank you!

Nate

Post by Nate »

Sully wrote: Welcome back, Nate! Your expertise and lefty views have been missed.
Ha, don't know that I have much expertise, but thanks!

I took a bit of a break from new folders after I got the Native lw forum knife, but I still try to stay up on new stuff, lurk, and pitch in now and then when I can.

Lefty friendly stuff dominates my carry these days. Lefty Millie, Manix 2, Calys, Chaparral, Native, UKPK, and just had an Urban land today! :D

PM2 is still one of my favorite designs and it gets pocket time, but even though I can close it lefty I still almost always use my right hand.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Heck yeah, I'm in.

Can't believe I missed this thread. I was just thinking about a lefty Para 2 last night. My daughter is a lefty and I'll grab one for her. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Thanks for the welcome guys :) carried my resilience today it's a very good knife.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

I'm not interested in a left handed Para but I would love an updated lefty Millie. The right handed liner lock is the only reason I passed on the recent 52100 sprint run. However, I would probably buy any dedicated left handed knife offered by Spyderco.
Sully

Post by Sully »

David Lowry wrote:Heck yeah, I'm in.

Can't believe I missed this thread. I was just thinking about a lefty Para 2 last night. My daughter is a lefty and I'll grab one for her. :)
Great point, Mr. Lowry. What a thoughtful, personal, way cool gift for any very lucky lefty!