52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ankerson

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:I've been using mine regularly as an EDC for everything. Nice steel. NOT stainless, does require attention. Rinse and dry. Gets very sharp.

sal

Should be pretty easy to get a nice edge on. :)
wmcbride

Post by wmcbride »

image.jpeg
Patina pic from Saturday.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Thanks for the patina pictures. Seems like 52100 patinas more in a few days than M4 in a few years... :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
animportant

Post by animportant »

Evil D wrote:I dripped a liberal amount of Tuf Glide into the pivot area and along the outer edge of the tang, and then used a q-tip to wipe it along the sides of the tang up to the edge of the plunge line, then let the blade patina. It's coming along nicely.

How'd you achieve this lovely patina?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

BHQ tracking number says it will arrive one day after I leave to spend 4 nights camping in the Adirondacks... Woulda been fun to have a new knife and new steel to play with. Overnight shipping next time :cool:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

animportant wrote:
Evil D wrote:I dripped a liberal amount of Tuf Glide into the pivot area and along the outer edge of the tang, and then used a q-tip to wipe it along the sides of the tang up to the edge of the plunge line, then let the blade patina. It's coming along nicely.

How'd you achieve this lovely patina?
Mostly slicing apples but there was a lemon and a red onion in there too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

That patina reminds me a bit of an apple-induced superblue patina. Its a pity that the pretty colours disappear after a while, and you end up with a gray blade.

Has anyone received a shipment from KW yet?
Hans

ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Has anyone measured the angle of the edge bevel on these? It looks pretty obtuse from the pics. Or maybe the blade stock is a little thinner than standard Millies?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Brock O Lee wrote:That patina reminds me a bit of an apple-induced superblue patina. Its a pity that the pretty colours disappear after a while, and you end up with a gray blade.

Has anyone received a shipment from KW yet?
Got my shipping notice from KW's Monday, hoping it arrives by Friday,

Been working on patina on SB Caly 3 lately, this is what I have so far:

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ejames13 wrote:Has anyone measured the angle of the edge bevel on these? It looks pretty obtuse from the pics. Or maybe the blade stock is a little thinner than standard Millies?
I haven't put it on my Edge Pro but 40 degrees on the Sharpmaker still gives me a very tiny micro bevel so it's at least well under 40 inclusive.
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Currently in stock at GPKnives. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Ha! Mine is on the way from KW!

I am quite surprised, because I preordered late 12 days ago, and I did not expect them to ship for the next month at least, if at all...
Hans

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Brock O Lee wrote:Ha! Mine is on the way from KW!

I am quite surprised, because I preordered late 12 days ago, and I did not expect them to ship for the next month at least, if at all...
Lol.....you pre ordered "late" 12 days ago......and now its in the way. KW has their act together it seems.
I pre ordered from KC last February amd not a peep...
Congratz man.
I dont mean to sound whiny, its just funny that your prw order took all of 12 days :cool:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I've been burnt by the KC sprint run lottery before with the CTS-20CP PM2. At least you should be close to the top of their list.

KW has been flawless for me in the last few years. Their international shipping is cheap, but takes forever. I might have it in a month from today if I'm lucky. :( You'll most probably have yours before I have mine... :)
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Brock O Lee wrote:I've been burnt by the KC sprint run lottery before with the CTS-20CP PM2. At least you should be close to the top of their list.

KW has been flawless for me in the last few years. Their international shipping is cheap, but takes forever. I might have it in a month from today if I'm lucky. :(

For all you know you'll have yours in hand before I do! :)
Ouch! A 20CP PM2 no less.....
But when it does arrive it all be worth it :)
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

+1 Hans, KC can be a crap shoot but they have come through on the last couple pre-orders, usually behind everyone else though. My 52100 pre-order was placed at the first of the year, I'm sure it will come along eventually but just in case I'll grab one from another vendor while I wait just to be safe.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Ok, got mine today and there is no way I would ever carry or use this thing. It is too freakin perfect to ever take a chance in degrading its utter gorgeiosity!

Seriously, nicest Spydie I own. Very happy with it.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

ejames13 wrote:Has anyone measured the angle of the edge bevel on these? It looks pretty obtuse from the pics. Or maybe the blade stock is a little thinner than standard Millies?
On my EdgePro it was about 12* per side. As for thickness behind the edge, I'll try and find some batteries for my calipers sometime soon.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Steelspyder, that's a very narrow bevel for 12 dps, which tells me the primary grind is pretty thin. I hope I also get a thin one.
Hans

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woke up to some interesting spots today. I didn't carry it at all yesterday, and the last time I used it I (thought) I dried it thoroughly. I can't really tell if this is some kind of rust forming or if there's apple residue left in these spots and they made some kind of funky splotch patina pattern. None of them are thick enough that they can be wiped or scratched off with my thumb nail so they're not rust by typical definition.

~David