Have you ever returned a knife for bad grind lines?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spideyhole

Have you ever returned a knife for bad grind lines?

Post by Spideyhole »

I have new Yojimbo that the grind lines are so aggressive they look more like scratches than grind lines. See next post for link for pic.

I can actually count them they are so deep and gougy, if there be such a word. Debating returning but wonder if that is not uncommon on Spydercos.
Last edited by Spideyhole on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spideyhole

Re: Have you ever returned a knife fro grind lines?

Post by Spideyhole »

Pic at this link

https://imgur.com/a/dWNlK
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Where did you buy the knife?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Studey

Post by Studey »

That does look pretty deep, like the pass(es) made at the higher finish didn't contact the blade fully. I probably wouldn't sweat it, but that does appear a little rougher than normal.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would not worry about that.

Doing some light reading while obsessing about your blade? Interesting womens underwear spring fasion trends... ;) :D
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

Brock O Lee wrote:I would not worry about that.

Doing some light reading while obsessing about your blade? Interesting women underwear spring fasion trends... ;) :D

Funny you mention that. I was holding it under the lamp at my wife's desk and she sells ladies under garments on the side as a home business. She saw me taking the pic and said "you do know you got my catalog in the pic, right?". I said that I hope they see the knife and not that. Can't get anything by you Brock. : )

I think I will return to Amazon for replacement. I don't sweat it as far as it functioning of course, but since this a collectible piece that will probably never cut anything, I would prefer to have a better specimen. I was looking at few of my others Spydies and while a few have some decent lines none are close to that bad is all. Almost makes me think Amazon bought some seconds from Spyderco or something.
Able Dog

Re: Have you ever returned a knife for bad grind lines?

Post by Able Dog »

I've yet to return a knife.

But that being said, go for it. Part of why I love the Yo2 is the flawless out-of-the-box quality of my specimen. It was one heck of a good first impression to a wonderful knife. Everyone deserves to have their Yo2 be as perfect as possible.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

My Yo2 doesn't seem to be as bad. Have to get the light to hit it just right to bring it out. But my new blurple PM2 kinda resembles your yo2. I guess it's common. Doesn't bother me. If it bothers you to the point where you are annoyed every time you flip it open I'd try to swap it, you could get another that has those deep scratch patterns though.. It may be due to fresh sand paper on the belt grinder when they refine the blade, assuming that's how they polish the blade.
Attachments
20160619_152414.jpg
20160619_151452.jpg
20160619_151506.jpg
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

My question is this: What are some of the possible causes that could alter the grind lines in that way?

I don't know how they actually perform the grinding in those factories, that would answer this.
Studey

Post by Studey »

It's from a rougher grit belt, or as mentioned, possibly a fresh belt, that actually makes a lot of sense.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No, I've never returned a Spyderco for grind lines. If one of my Kopas had looked like that, I probably would have. They were marketed as something special and collectible and I'd have felt a certain level of finish was warranted. OTOH, if I bought a model being marketed as a defensive weapon, I'd be inclined to consider finish like that a cost saving measure.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I've never returned a knife... I think as long as the blade still feels smooth (doesn't drag when cutting, etc.) I would be fine with the marks on the blade.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Just curious, if you did return that knife with the grind lines the way they are, and they took it back and gave you a new one, what would Spyderco most likely do with the one that was returned? Would they touch it up and put it back in the pool of available ones to purchase, or would they keep it permanently aside?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

SFO Seconds sale, I would imagine SEF
Last edited by farnorthdan on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

My E4 ZDP is like that. I didn't even think it's strange. :eek:
Chris :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Since the light angle in a pic like this makes so much difference, it's hard to tell for sure, but the deeper marks repeating ever eighth of an inch or so look very unusual to me. My Yo2 is one of my more polished looking knives. It has lines so fine they feel totally smooth to the touch and look similar to those on my Sage blade. Since it's so easy as well as free to return something to Amazon, I would return it and get a more representative Yo2 example if it were me.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

How is everything else on the knife? If everything else is good I would just keep it. I generally find that when I have a peeve like that and I return it for another knife, the new knife has some other imperfection and I regret returning the original.

My Cruwear Military has fairly deep grind lines. It also has a different coloration and grind angle on the front 1/3rd of the blade vs the back 2/3rds. You can kind of see where the two different colors and grind angles meet in this pic. Everything else about the knife is fine. So I don't let it bother me.

Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

You nailed it. I got a replacement in today and while the blade itself is far superior the lock stick is freakin unbearable. So, either keep the bad grind line one or bust my finger every time I open the other. Or return both and forgetaboutit.

The saddest thing is I am mildly disappointed in the QC of some of my recent Spydies. Starting to have doubts....
Studey

Post by Studey »

Spideyhole wrote:You nailed it. I got a replacement in today and while the blade itself is far superior the lock stick is freakin unbearable. So, either keep the bad grind line one or bust my finger every time I open the other. Or return both and forgetaboutit.

The saddest thing is I am mildly disappointed in the QC of some of my recent Spydies. Starting to have doubts....

That sucks.

My most recent Spydies (from several makers) have been, hands down, the best Spydies I've handled in terms of fit and finish, absolutely excellent.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

Spideyhole wrote:You nailed it. I got a replacement in today and while the blade itself is far superior the lock stick is freakin unbearable. So, either keep the bad grind line one or bust my finger every time I open the other. Or return both and forgetaboutit.

I bought four DF2's in HAP40 when they first came out, and every single one of them had lock rock. Some of them had other small issues as well.

Oddly enough, I only bought one Delica in HAP40 and it was perfect in every way. Seems to be hit or miss I guess.