Looks like the Chinook 4 bouta drop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Looks like the Chinook 4 bouta drop

Post by SpyderNut »

twinboysdad wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:Any of you guys who have met Eric, how big are his hands?
I've exchanged handshakes with Eric on a few occasions, but based on my own hand size, I'd say he probably wears a size "large" in men's gloves. I'm only estimating, of course.
Cool. I should have said "because his hands seem to fit well on the Chinook 4" instead of sounding a bit stalkery!!
I knew what you meant, lol. :) In the knife world, talking about another dude's hand size is a completely normal thing. :p
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Still prefer the look of the original, but this one looks better than #2 & #3.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I really hope there is a tip down carry option as well.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

not crazy about it, but maybe it will grow on me. maybe this and the ATR for me
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

On the fence on this style. What's the benefit of the upswept tip?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

ChrisinHove wrote:On the fence on this style. What's the benefit of the upswept tip?
Master at Arms JAMES Keating designed the knife. It has self defense attributes. The back cut is a technique he shows.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The back cut is a very vicious ripping motion that causes pain. It's used to either distract an opponent through pain or even hook them and pull them into another cut. At least that's what I've come to understand from reading up on it. James wants all his chinook models to be able to accomplish this without the lock failing.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

The back cut is actually a cutting/ripping action with the swedge part of the blade, think of a reticulated type motion like a cats paw. A simple example would be to stick your arm out in front of you with the "thumbs up sign", then quickly snap your thumb down and back up again, this motion is considered to be one of the fastest movements the human body can make.
The back cut is taught with Bowie knives but can be applied to the Chinook and even good ol' slip joint blades! It's fun stuff, check out James Keating's Comtech DVD's they are great.
Matt
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Loved the Chinook I, Loved the II even more...was disappointed with III.......No doubt that the early Chinooks were heavy, beefy and powerful....up for most tasks you'd set before it........once stabbed a stone post (by accident) with a lot of force, thought the tip was a gonna...nope...still there...no damage...the stone post had a nice chunk missing ....All that said I'm excited for this smaller, lighter, thinner, full grind Mini Bowie with the new lock....It should prove to be an excellent self-defense knife.....Doc:)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

VashHash wrote:The back cut is a very vicious ripping motion that causes pain. It's used to either distract an opponent through pain or even hook them and pull them into another cut. At least that's what I've come to understand from reading up on it. James wants all his chinook models to be able to accomplish this without the lock failing.
All this is true....but understand you will not get the real desired effects of a back-cut with a knife that has a 4" blade like the Chinook. The back-cut works very well and can be a devastating technique, but it's best applied with a Bowie style knife (sharpened clip) with a minimum blade length of 9 1/4" not to exceed 13"in blade length. If you were to use this knife for self-defense...I'd concentrate on blade forward techniques.....leave the back-cuts to us guys who actually carry Bowie knives for self-defense.....Doc:)
D-Roc

Post by D-Roc »

I own two originals, and a Chinook III. I love all Spyderco knives, but I must be honest and give my two cents that there is nothing like a Chinook I. They are unbelievable.
I'm not liking that IV....
But that Military....I think I wiped some drool that I unconsciously let slide...

Liquid Cobra wrote:The Chinook was before my time but folks around here seem to hold it in high regard so I'm excited to get my hands on one. The power lock looks interesting and seems effective. I really really like the look of the blade on that thing. I really hope it's not tip up only though. I guess it's a design choice due to its size?
:spyder: MEMBRE DE L'ORDRE INTERNATIONALE SPYDEREDGE :spyder:
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

I like the new look of the knife.
1. No finger choil giving you more blade. I usually prefer a choil BUT the changes are what makes it exciting and something new in our
lives. ;)
2. An even lighter version of the Chinook which appears to have a longer blade! :eek: Really cool, again something new and kinda non PC (Oh i'm soo bad)
3. Made in Seki using NON Japanese steel S30V!! did I hear that correctly?! :eek: That might be a first correct me if I'm wrong please Spyder heads.
4. Powerlock. Don't know about you but I have yet to experience this lock which appears to be an overbuilt lock PERFECT for the Chinook. :D
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Evil D wrote:I dunno am I crazy that I wish the Chinook had stayed a big thick beefy knife?

Nope, not crazy at all. Though the liners and G10 on the 4 look about the same as a Police 3. So it isn't exactly "dainty" either.

I'm very excited for a Chinook to be back on the market, but the Chinook 1 still remains my most sought after.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
JT

Post by JT »

Chinook3 wrote: It's fun stuff, check out James Keating's Comtech DVD's they are great.
Matt
I second that, I always enjoy watching Jim's videos. Civilian, Bowie's, Drawpoint, Riddle of steel etc etc.. have a bunch of them :)

And I knew good ol' Doc would show up, as soon as someone says "Bowie" Doc appears, good to see you Doc! :D

I still kick myself,when they were available, I had a chance to buy either the original big Manix or the Chinook 1, and I got the Manix. I like it still of course, but wish I'd chose the Chinook... well, better late than never :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

JT wrote:
Chinook3 wrote: It's fun stuff, check out James Keating's Comtech DVD's they are great.
Matt
I second that, I always enjoy watching Jim's videos. Civilian, Bowie's, Drawpoint, Riddle of steel etc etc.. have a bunch of them :)

And I knew good ol' Doc would show up, as soon as someone says "Bowie" Doc appears, good to see you Doc! :D

I still kick myself,when they were available, I had a chance to buy either the original big Manix or the Chinook 1, and I got the Manix. I like it still of course, but wish I'd chose the Chinook... well, better late than never :D
AY JT...Great to see you too!!!!!..Doc:)
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

The first 3 were before my time but I've always liked what I've seen of them and heard plenty of good things about them. Looks like another knife to lighten the wallet.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I will be very curious to see some user photos of this knife. A Chinook was the first spydie I ever bought. (I had told myself it would be the one and only knife I ever really needed, but it ended up being the gateway to several more, which subsequently multiplied rapidly.)

I really liked the original Chinook design due to its massive, monolithic-type shape and extra weight/blockiness. I suppose the Manix XL is the closest thing in the current line-up?
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Great looking knife! I like the functionality of my Persian, so I think I would like the Chinook a lot (I only cut everyday stuff, no people, maybe some avocados and apples).
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:
VashHash wrote:The back cut is a very vicious ripping motion that causes pain. It's used to either distract an opponent through pain or even hook them and pull them into another cut. At least that's what I've come to understand from reading up on it. James wants all his chinook models to be able to accomplish this without the lock failing.
All this is true....but understand you will not get the real desired effects of a back-cut with a knife that has a 4" blade like the Chinook. The back-cut works very well and can be a devastating technique, but it's best applied with a Bowie style knife (sharpened clip) with a minimum blade length of 9 1/4" not to exceed 13"in blade length. If you were to use this knife for self-defense...I'd concentrate on blade forward techniques.....leave the back-cuts to us guys who actually carry Bowie knives for self-defense.....Doc:)
Doc it's required to carry a bowie down here. Southern gentleman keep tradition. It's even made in America and it's about a 10-1/2" blade :D. Even fashioned my own trainer out of aluminum.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Bowiebro Vashtash.....;)