OK, it's time to get serious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: OK, it's time to get serious

Post by Evil D »

Looks pretty good. I think I would probably bob the tip on a Yojimbo 2 myself as I like the handle and thumb placement better but that looks like a nice utility knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
camporama

Post by camporama »

Nice! Could we get a few pics of the spine?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nice!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz,

It looks even better in real life than on paper, :cool: (not that your drawing is bad, I just failed to imagine the knife :o).
Enjoy it and keep us updated!

Too bad, it really makes me wanting one, but recently spent too much already on knives (busted my :spyder: budget) & now still waiting for the package(s) to arrive. If it's VG10, that'll be sweet, perhaps by using & sharpening you'll be able to guess... ;)
Chris :spyder:
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Will we call it the Jazz? I like it and am interested in a usage report. Especially vs the orange D4 you have been using
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

How cool is that!?!
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

This is crazy... Jazz, you started this thread on May 1st, and just a short month and a half later you've got a working prototype in your hands!

Count me in if this makes it to production, I'm both a fan of wharncliffe blades and the Delica handle, so this is a no-brainer really :)
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

I'd buy a couple just to be able to tell this story when people asked about the knife... even if it didn't look awesome/useful/comfortable.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Since I am a big fan of both wharncliffes and the Delica this looks great. I am in for one for sure. I have the Des Horn, Centofante4, Kiwi4 and Yojimbo2 and have carried them all plenty. I also love the Delica enough to own a few as well as the BBS PE Lil' Matriarch. This Jazzed up Delica is right up my alley. Thanks a bunch for making this happen. :D
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

The prototype is S30V. In production, we would probably use a Japanese steel. The time from trigger to testing stage may seemed to be short, but the handle part was already done, which takes much of the time out of prototyping.

sal
JT

Post by JT »

So the only question left is, when can we have one? :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

PaleMoon wrote:This is crazy... Jazz, you started this thread on May 1st, and just a short month and a half later you've got a working prototype in your hands!

Count me in if this makes it to production, I'm both a fan of wharncliffe blades and the Delica handle, so this is a no-brainer really :)
I was thinking the same thing, PaleMoon. :) I will go out on a limb here and say that it is unlikely that any other knife company in the world would do something like this for one of their customers. This one is for the history books, folks. :) Very well done, Sal and Crew. Very well done. I would love to see something like this in full production. As the others mentioned, there seems to be a healthy demand for this style of blade--especially when coupled with the tried-and-true Delica handle.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Well, I could just sum it all up with "I knew it", "fanSpydertastic", or :cool:, but I suppose I could go into a bit more detail. ;) First, thank you Sal and Eric (and the proto guy). I reread my first post and sound like a little whiner. Really, I was just frustrated and wanted a good work knife of Spyderco design and quality.

The knife has the wonderful, ergonomic, hand friendly, and grippy Delica handle - what's not to like about that? The blade is exactly the same length as the Delica's and perfectly angled for work. FFG is perfect for this. It's not too thick or thin. It works great in all the grips and holds I described needing. Fortunately, today I had everything imagineable to cut and or open... I cut flaps off boxes, opened tape (choking up), cut plastic banding (2 thicknesses), cut plastic from container lids, opened a clam pack, cut paper, cut up an apple for breakfast, cut circles out of cardboard and S shapes, pushed and pull cut thick cardboard, and even trimmed a fir tree branch out in the parking lot. It's dirty right now, but well used, and I honestly can't find anything bad to say - anything. It's exactly what I hope for in a work pocketknife. I have to add, it's also an excellent EDC, which I intend to do.

It came with a very coarse edge, but still paper slicing sharp, so I left it, as I've wanted to try that edge on cardboard. It was good, and I'm thinking would last longer (Dave)? But I'll give it a finer edge soon and report on it's abilities. It will fly through boxes!

I'd be fine with VG10, after testing the FFG D4 and being very impressed. I don't know Japanese steels. Any input here?

The blade's point is a perfect balance between pointy and strong. It stabs to the handle easily in cardboard.

That's all for now. I promise a bunch of better quality pics soon. I work Saturdays. :( Maybe it'll be cloudy when I get home for good lighting. Here's a quick pic to show it's getting well tested...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Jazz, are you happy with the level of curve in the spine? It is just a bit more round than what I was expecting. Not that that is bad in any way, it just made me wonder how it feels and works and if you like it as is or would make any changes.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:Hey Jazz, are you happy with the level of curve in the spine? It is just a bit more round than what I was expecting. Not that that is bad in any way, it just made me wonder how it feels and works and if you like it as is or would make any changes.
It's the perfect balance, in my opinion. I wouldn't change it. I'll post comparison pics, etc. like I said, it's strong and pointy at the same time. Nice, useful point. So easy to mod yourself, if you wanted a tad more point. I wouldn't.
- best wishes, Jazz.
harronek

Post by harronek »

I know its a Prototype , but that thing just screams out for a handle color that's not BLACK .
If these come into production , then sign me up .

Ken
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Awesome thread. I also cut a ton of cardboard daily. I'm def in for one regardless, but zdp pls!
10just

Post by 10just »

sign me up
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

Well not a back lock and they are disco'd but hey ill post it anyway bc its close to your specs.
araneae

Post by araneae »

This is pretty awesome. I'd like a pic next to a standard delica for reference if you could Jazz.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal