Yo2 sticky lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Yo2 sticky lock

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I have been carrying my Yo2 these days. It's always had a slightly sticky lock but it seems to have gotten worse with use. Any suggestions or ideas for a fix? Thanks in advance.
Brock O Lee

Re: Yo2 sticky lock

Post by Brock O Lee »

I've had moderate lock stick on a PM2 before that seemed to get worse over time. Someone suggested to rotate the stop pin by 90 deg. This worked for me.

I can remember some people also fixed it by removing burrs on the liners near the pivot hole/locking liner, or by lightly polishing the stop pin surface to remove any fine machining grooves.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks, I'm having a heck of a time loosening one of the screws on the stop pin. Already tried a soldering iron to try to break the loctite but still no go. I'll keep on it though. Thanks Brock.
JT

Post by JT »

Boiling water might help? just sink it in and let it cook for a little while... I bet G10 won't mind the heat, or the blade either.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

A little off the subject, but I think I remember that a year or two ago you mentioned that your Yo2 didn't always open reliably. Mine had a slightly firm detent too and took a fair amount of thumb pressure to reliably open. I have been meaning to mention to you that I finally got around to trying middle finger flick, and it always opens reliably that way. I was wondering if you had tried that or perhaps didn't care for that technique. I have a PM2 with a sticky detent and admit that I have thumped it halfway across the room once with the middle finger flick :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

My new to me used Salsa has a sticky lock... I just try to smile through the tears lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DougC-3 wrote:A little off the subject, but I think I remember that a year or two ago you mentioned that your Yo2 didn't always open reliably. Mine had a slightly firm detent too and took a fair amount of thumb pressure to reliably open. I have been meaning to mention to you that I finally got around to trying middle finger flick, and it always opens reliably that way. I was wondering if you had tried that or perhaps didn't care for that technique. I have a PM2 with a sticky detent and admit that I have thumped it halfway across the room once with the middle finger flick :D
Oh yah, I'm middle finger flicking my Yo2. Seems to be better for this knife. My detent is fine actually, it's closing it that the sticky lock becomes unpleasant.
JT

Post by JT »

Chuck, just to clarify, my hint was for the loctite, not for the sticky lock :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JT wrote:Chuck, just to clarify, my hint was for the loctite, not for the sticky lock :)
Ahh hehe, thanks. For a while there I kind of wondered. :D
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

I just got a Yo in the mail today and the specimen is superb but the lock stick is horrible. I love to flip open my knives all day as a sort of therapy, but not this knife. Sad thing is this is my 3rd attempt at getting one of these that is just right. My first was way way off center and nothing I did fixed it. My second had really rough grind lines on blade, and now my third has this horrible lock stick.

And I am not go a take it apart and operate on it to try and fix it. It should never have left the factory like this. Man, after about 10 open and closes my fore finger is raw.

On a positive note, the blade is freakin gorgeous on this one. Why is it always something with this model for me?!

I give up on this knife.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Spideyhole wrote:I just got a Yo in the mail today and the specimen is superb but the lock stick is horrible. I love to flip open my knives all day as a sort of therapy, but not this knife. Sad thing is this is my 3rd attempt at getting one of these that is just right. My first was way way off center and nothing I did fixed it. My second had really rough grind lines on blade, and now my third has this horrible lock stick.

I give up on this knife.
Dang, your having all kinds of bad luck, sorry to hear. Not really sure what to advise that's not already been said. My S90V exclusive has some lock stick, it was real bad when new. I had small/short lived success with sharpie and/or pencil on the lock face and it did get better over time but it still has a little from time to time, I don't really carry it a lot so decided to just live with it.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spideyhole wrote:I just got a Yo in the mail today and the specimen is superb but the lock stick is horrible. I love to flip open my knives all day as a sort of therapy, but not this knife. Sad thing is this is my 3rd attempt at getting one of these that is just right. My first was way way off center and nothing I did fixed it. My second had really rough grind lines on blade, and now my third has this horrible lock stick.

I give up on this knife.
Sorry to hear that OP
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Spideyhole

Post by Spideyhole »

If was just a little grabby I would be okay, but it actually makes a louder click when the lock disengages than the click when it opens. I took a flashlight and got a good look at the back of the blade that contacts the liner and wow, pretty good mark, gouge, whatever you want to call it. Probably why it sticks. I suspect the liner machining was off and the liner is a little to long and it is gouging the blade. I wonder if that gouge would smooth out over time, but with my luck it would just get to deep and be permanently sticky.

Will just return them all and spend the money on a different knife I think. No Yo Yo for moi.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I have been carrying my Yo2 these days. It's always had a slightly sticky lock but it seems to have gotten worse with use. Any suggestions or ideas for a fix? Thanks in advance.

And I am not go a take it apart and operate on it to try and fix it. It should never have left the factory like this. Man, after about 10 open and closes my fore finger is raw.

On a positive note, the blade is freakin gorgeous on this one. Why is it always something with this model for me?!

I give up on this knife.
Hey Chuck and SpideyHole,

Sorry to hear about the sticky locks. I've experienced this also on my own Yo2. One thing you may want to try is to apply some graphite to the tang of the blade on the lock face (a pencil lead works great for this). Open and close the blade several times to work the graphite onto the lock face and locking tab. I've had good success with this method on a few knives. Avoid oil/lube in the lock area as it will only add to the stickiness of the lock. Hope this helps.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut wrote: Hey Chuck and SpideyHole,

Sorry to hear about the sticky locks. I've experienced this also on my own Yo2. One thing you may want to try is to apply some graphite to the tang of the blade on the lock face (a pencil lead works great for this). Open and close the blade several times to work the graphite onto the lock face and locking tab. I've had good success with this method on a few knives. Avoid oil/lube in the lock area as it will only add to the stickiness of the lock. Hope this helps.
Thanks but I'm not really one for stopgap measures like graphite on the lock face.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote: Hey Chuck and SpideyHole,

Thanks but I'm not really one for stopgap measures like graphite on the lock face.
I gotcha. The graphite concept is not really a stopgap measure. It works. Just tryin' to help. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut wrote:
I gotcha. The graphite concept is not really a stopgap measure. It works. Just tryin' to help. ;)
It's just a lube, what happens when the lube's gone?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
It's just a lube, what happens when the lube's gone?
Not a lube at all. Lube will likely make it worse (at least from my testing). I'm talking more about pencil lead graphite. It is more of a "powder" than anything. For some reason, it works quite well on sticky locks. I've used it on a number of my custom and production knives with good success.

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Like I said, mine had horrible lock stick when new and is not perfect yet but I believe if I carried/used it more it will sort itself out. I've found that being a little patient and giving new pieces a chance to break in sometimes is necessary. I've had way more :spyder:'s be perfect out of the box than not.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

SpyderNut wrote: Not a lube at all. Lube will likely make it worse (at least from my testing). I'm talking more about pencil lead graphite. It is more of a "powder" than anything. For some reason, it works quite well on sticky locks. I've used it on a number of my custom and production knives with good success.
You really should research more before you make statements like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_lubricant

It is a stopgap measure because when it's gone you have to reapply. It works temporarily. That is stopgap for me. That is my opinion. You really can't argue with me on what my opinion is.