Neighborhood Bug Dealer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

Neighborhood Bug Dealer

Post by clovisc »

I am curious to hear who everyone's local Spyderco dealer is, what they keep in stock, and how often you shop there.

Only one Spyderco dealer on my island: Pacific Pride (formerly Murray Pacific). They have a small selection of salts, rescues, and smaller FRN folders. Prices are pretty close to online prices, if not the same. I haven't bought many Spydies from them, as they usually don't have what I am looking for, although I did happen to pick up a VG-10 FRN manbug last week.

About 10 years ago I lived a couple hours' drive from New Graham. Ah.... those were the days. Too bad I can't do some time travellin' shopping.

Before that, I lived under an hour from Country Knives in Intercourse, PA. That place was like a spydie museum!!! Prices were very dear, but I did make a couple choice buys there.
SG89

Re: Neighborhood Bug Dealer

Post by SG89 »

Only dealer near me that I know of sells Spydies at MSRP. So I shop online with new graham mostly and eBay
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have a dealer (Big Box) at full MSRP limited stock nearby.. And a smaller dealer, real limited stock,about an hours drive from me.. Haven't bought a new Spyderco in a yr or so though.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
APS

Post by APS »

I get the vast majority of my Spydies from The Classic Edge in Midlothian VA ~10 miles from me. Prices are close to if not match online and I get to handle what I'm purchasing in advance. Bob and Joe actually know about the models they sell, steel properties, etc. A real joy stopping by there.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

clovisc wrote: About 10 years ago I lived a couple hours' drive from New Graham. Ah.... those were the days.
Is any good reason why did you move from Virginia to Alaska?
Warm vs. freezing cold.
NGK vs. nothing???? :(

There is no Spyderco dealers within 50 from my home, who carry some reasonable stock. :( :(
Used to be one, 45 miles away, everything at MSRP. i bought only one knife there: Lum folding Tanto, CE, black blade, VG10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I'm fortunate that I live so close to the SFO, so I guess that would be my neighborhood dealer. Though I don't buy factory first runs from the SFO, it's really nice to be able to go checkout all of the models and have my EDC touched up on the Sharpmaker by the kind folks working there. I remember one time they replaced a missing screw in my clip without me even asking! Can't ask for better service than that right there. All of my Spydercos are factory seconds that I picked up whenever they have a sale, I only have one factory first knife in my collection, a sprint HAP40 Stretch that I just bought last week, which btw is one amazing knife.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

ShaneInDenver: I kinda hate you just a little bit. :p

I have a B&M called Mark's Outdoors that's about 5 minutes from my office. They have a MASSIVE knife counter, incredible staff, and they get 2 of every Spyderco by default before any additional orders. I've bought 4/6 of my Spydercos, as well as multiple other knives for gifts, from them, and I'll keep doing so as much as I can.

EDIT: Their Spyderco case:

Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I work 2 miles from the SFO and live only about 12 miles from it, so yeah, they are my local dealer.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

New Graham's not "local" but they've been my "go to" dealer for Spydercos since 2003 and I've yet to find reason to change that.

I do have a gun shop near me, Sharpshooters, that carries a small number of Spydercos but they're asking full MSRP, or close to it, for them so I've never purchased one there. Their Microtechs, OTOH, are far more competitively priced. :o Cabela's in Greenville probably has a few Spydercos but I've honestly never looked (more like "have only been there twice and have yet to find the knife case"). Plus, I suspect it will be another case of limited selection and prices that are not competitive. If I was "into" Case knives, I'd be living in heaven. There's a hardware store a mile or two from me that has a huge selection and a couple knife shops in Greenville that seem to deal in them exclusively.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Sadly, I don't have a local dealer anywhere near me, but I was at a good size sport shop up in VT over the weekend. Lots of Kershaws, Bucks, some CRKT, and a few Helle. I asked if they had every considered carrying Spyderco... They replied that they don't carry Spydercos because they would never sell, then mentioned that they had an over $100 Kershaw in the case for years and years that didn't sell (who would buy an over $100 Kershaw :confused: ). Anyway, they continued with mentioning that Spydercos were overpriced "glamour" knives and just for show, not practical for use!!!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My local shop gets 2 of everything and more of the models that move quickly. They are a little higher than on line but not MSRP. The guy I deal with specifically is a wonderful human being and gets me a discount when he can. I simply love being able to handle certain models in person as I have loved/hated models that in my mind were different and certain specimens are not up to my standard and being able to handle is huge. I would go crazy if we moved...
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have a couple of big stores (Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse) that are about an hour and a half drive from my house and another outdoor store that is a little further. Their prices tend to be higher and their selection minimal so I rarely purchase from them. I have purchased from a lady that frequents some of the gun shows and she usually has a good selection, including some discontinued models. Most of my purchases are done through the internet. It tends to have the best selection and best prices. :D
Last edited by remnar on Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

abbazaba wrote:Sadly, I don't have a local dealer anywhere near me, but I was at a good size sport shop up in VT over the weekend. Lots of Kershaws, Bucks, some CRKT, and a few Helle. I asked if they had every considered carrying Spyderco... They replied that they don't carry Spydercos because they would never sell, then mentioned that they had an over $100 Kershaw in the case for years and years that didn't sell (who would buy an over $100 Kershaw :confused: ). Anyway, they continued with mentioning that Spydercos were overpriced "glamour" knives and just for show, not practical for use!!!
I am literally speechless after reading that last sentence. Spyderco's tag line is "Reliable High Performance"; how in the world would they think they're not for use?

Also, you might want to do some research on that Kershaw... AFAIK there are a couple of high-end Kershaws that came out before they started making ZTs, like the Tilt, and it may actually be worth buying for yourself or for resale.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

bh49 wrote:
clovisc wrote: About 10 years ago I lived a couple hours' drive from New Graham. Ah.... those were the days.
Is any good reason why did you move from Virginia to Alaska?
Warm vs. freezing cold.
NGK vs. nothing???? :(

Hey Roman! Opportunity vs. limited opportunity. The quality of life suits me well, and the weather in Ketchikan is fairly mild.

I get to see a greater variety of new Spydies in person if I happen to be travelling to Anchorage and Fairbanks, but the prices usually aren't competitive. I don't mind spending a little more in person if it is going to a local business... however, spending a fair chunk more at an out of town business makes less sense to me than just buying online.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Yea the only place I've seen in Anchorage that sells :spyder:'s is the Knife shop right next to Pete's tobacco shop and they want way too much for them, plus most of the models they carry are geared towards the fishing industry, nothing wrong with that but a little more variety would be nice. I've never bought a single piece from them, always go to my preferred online vendors. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
palonej

Post by palonej »

I envy those of you who are able to go to any knife store! There is NOTHING anywhere around me!
There is an Army Navy store about 50 miles away, but they just have big box store blades.
Everything comes from on line for me.
Joe
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Brick and mortar stores are basically dead to me for anything but clothes and Home Depot type stuff.
10just

Post by 10just »

So get this.. A couple years ago I checked the spyderco dealer list, turns out there was one in the same business park I work in, about 3 buildings down the street, and its a BEVERAGE company! They sell and maintenance soda machines!! I thought it was a mistake, so I walk into the front office, super awkward feeling.. "...Uh do you guys sell Spydercos?" Sure enough they walk me to the back room and open up a big metal cabinet and boom, Spydie galore. I remember he had a model ive never seen, it was either a delica or endura with black FRN, BUT it was some type of GLOCK colab with a small multi function tool.. Some type of key to maintenance a glock.. Anyone know what im talking about??
mattman

Post by mattman »

10just wrote: I remember he had a model ive never seen, it was either a delica or endura with black FRN, BUT it was some type of GLOCK colab with a small multi function tool.. Some type of key to maintenance a glock.. Anyone know what im talking about??
Distributor exclusive for Lone Wolf. "Armorer's tool Endura"
There have been a few runs, according to spydiwiki.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Like many here, I live a considerable distance away from an authorized Spyderco dealer (about an hour and a half drive from home). Because of this, I am limited to purchasing online. I like to use many of the stores listed, along with Cutlery Shoppe, Oso Grande, National Knives, KnivesShipFree, Knife Works, Grand Prairie Knives, Sooner State Knives, New Graham Knives, and even e-Bay at times. :eek: :D I also purchase knives directly from the Mother Ship too. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal