Do you hoard your Spydercos?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
simon711

Do you hoard your Spydercos?

Post by simon711 »

I'm kind of like a squirrel when I buy a Spyderco I like. I need to buy at least 3 of a knife I like. One that I can use, and two back-ups in case anything goes wrong. I have this deep fear that when the knife gets discontinued, I'll never be able to get one again. Does anybody else have this problem?
Surfingringo

Re: Do you hoard your Spydercos?

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Simon, I'll give you my take on it...its a bit different than some but I'll try not to get too carried away. :rolleyes:

I moved out of the country a long time ago and simplified my life. One of those simplifications was that I let go of everything. I either sold or gave away every single thing that wouldn't fit in a single backpack and I lived that way for YEARS and YEARS. Now I've gotten older and I own a small home here so of course, I've collected a few possessions but I try to keep it really simple still because I fell in love with the sense of liberation I felt from getting rid of all the clutter.

The point of all that is that the same philosophy governs my "knife collecting". I enjoy knives so I buy way more than I need but I definitely don't hoard them. I try to keep things down to 12-15 folders and even then it feels kind of excessive overwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I buy way more than that but I just can't hold on to them. I start feeling nervous, (like I'm letting life get complicated again) so I will sell the extras, or more commonly I give them away. This has the added benefit of making me a bit more discerning about what I choose to purchase. If I just gave aways a $100 knife last week because I didn't need it, it makes me think twice before picking up a new $100 knife that I think I kind of need. :p

Regarding buying multiple copies of the same knife, that is something that I NEVER do. I only have so much money and I would rather try something new every now and then than store up extras of a knife that (if I were honest with myself) I could live quite happily without even owning the original. I also have complete faith that Spyderco is going to continue to produce innovative and interesting tools so I feel no need to anchor myself to a certain point in "knife history". I'll just float down the river and see where it takes me. ;)

Just to be clear, I know I got a bit "philosophical" there, but none of is a judgement about how anyone else goes about their knife collecting. If any of you like to keep a bathtub full of spydercos and swim in them like Scrooge McDuck, then more power to you. I've just found my own level of "knife collecting" that I'm comfortable with. :)
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

simon711 wrote:...I need to buy at least 3 of a knife I like. One that I can use, and two back-ups in case anything goes wrong... Does anybody else have this problem?
Nope. It just knives. Very good knives but nevertheless. Actually even a single knife will serve you your whole life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There are too many great knives out there for me to be cutting into my budget by buying duplicates. I have enough knives to last me ten lifetimes so if I lose one then so be it. Easy come, easy go. It would be a bummer but oh well. I have misplaced some for quite a while but seem to always find them eventually.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bearfacedkiller wrote:There are too many great knives out there for me to be cutting into my budget by buying duplicates. I have enough knives to last me ten lifetimes so if I lose one then so be it. Easy come, easy go. It would be a bummer but oh well. I have misplaced some for quite a while but seem to always find them eventually.
100% agreed....Duplicates are only in my collection as different variations of the same model- I don't own two of exactly the same model as a 'replacement'. Later iterations or model variants, sure
(I've an Economy, a Delica 1, a Delica 2, a pair of Delica 2s in different edges and a brace of Delica 4s- the Ti Damasteel sprint showpony and an all stainless serrated workhorse)

In brutally simplistic terms- my collection of 114 knives are roughly the same size (2-4") folding knives and thus functionaly interchangeable- ....Obviously, I don't feel that way and understand each one is unique and special- but having 2 or 3 of a particular variation of a model just doesn't work for me: If I can't find my Native III, I'm pretty sure that one of the other knives in that size range I grab from the case will do 90% as well.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I only buy duplicates for knives I'm really really fond of and/or sprints (which if I buy I'm really really fond of also). Otherwise any variations I have or will buy happen because of material changes, different steel and scale etc. I do have a couple standard production knives that are now discontinued that I didn't own until after they were gone that I wish I could (easily and cheaply) buy a backup for, so when the discontinued list comes out each year I make sure to grab one of anything I may want in the future.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Very well said Surfingringo! Both my situation and philosophy are very close to yours :)

I will add this, too. As some may know, in Japan there is this very interesting tradition of destroying and rebuilding temples from scratch at specific time intervals to illustrate the concepts of loss and renewal. In a way, this practice thought me not to get too attached to material possessions. As such, if a knife I love is discontinued, I simply remind myself that something equally exciting is certainly coming to replace it.

Unless there was a specific model that was extremely useful for my line of work (User Jazz and his "wharnie delica" from another thread would be an example), I find no use for duplicates.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I bought a second Dragonfly 2. I had the funds, I love the steel(HAP-40), I love the platform, and since it's a sprint and hard to find, the important factor was that my local B&M held one for me. Otherwise, I don't plan on buying duplicates. I don't have the money, and I'd rather go for highly-curated diversity. That said, there are knives that I would probably own multiple examples, such as various PM2s, or another sprint run of a knife I already have. I also don't count knives in the same family as duplicates, like the Sage or Chaparral. The exception would be if I was able to get a really good deal on something, and if it seemed like I'd be able to possibly unload the extras(like if I found Caly3s for $100; I'd buy two or three and sell all but one).
I will say that I wish I WAS in a financial position to be able to buy duplicates like that. :p
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The first time I bought a duplicate it was accidental (I forgot I had already ordered one from a different vendor). But having had a scare where I couldn't find a special Sprint for awhile and fearing I would not ever be able to have that one again, it got to where I sometimes order 2 of the same knife for Sprint runs/dealer exclusives -- my justification was "I can always sell it for more than I paid for it" but in reality I've never been able to bring myself to sell one of my knives. I have gifted them to famly/friends on occasion.

The most "duplicates" I have of the same knife is probably around 4. The wait for the fluted Ti Military was so long, I had built up this unstoppable urge to buy one if I ever saw it available (though one of those 4 I own is the early color-anodized release, the others are uncolored). Of course I still have lots of other millies in other steels/handle variations as well. I still have to fight the urge to buy a fluted Ti Millie whenever I see one, though most dealers have them in stock now.

If you have the money, and the knife is a special combination that really appeals to you, sure, buying a duplicate right up front is cheaper than trying to acquire one after they are discontinued... but be assured Spyderco will still be making more knives that will also be special in their own way :).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I used to. They just don't wear out fast enough to justify (imho). I've sold more duplicates than needed them; like 20 to 0.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

As was said, one good knife can last a lifetime, so I am certainly hoarding Spydercos.

But I am about to unload some models and varieties (9 in all) that have satisfied my curiosity (curiosity being what led me to acquire them).

The only duplicate Spydie I have ever owned is the M4 Manix2, which has been my favorite steel/design combo since its release (I duplicated this knife because aggressive removal of my patina experiments damaged the lasered markings on my first one). The imminent M4 PM2 will likely lead me unload the damaged one.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

No hoarding here, but I try to sample most of the available steels.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Brock O Lee wrote:No hoarding here, but I try to sample most of the available steels.
Me too
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have triples of three of my favorite favorite knives. All of them discontinued a while ago. Used to be worse. At one time I had five of original C83 and four sprints. This is not like I have a huge budget or collection. There are not that many knives, which I love, so I need back-ups.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
APS

Post by APS »

My favorite model and 95% edc is the VG-10 Stretch FRN which is now discontinued and I don't like the new model. So I bought two more and have Andrej's scales on them. Other than that I just buy one of the models I like.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I do have some multiples however I plan on passing those onto my kids for the grandchildren!
BTG

Post by BTG »

I hoard...I want them all...seriously, only buy exact duplicates if I REALLY love a knive and plan on EDC'ing it...but for collecting I'll get 1 of each variation...so far Delica's are my strongest suit. 27 all different...but all D4's...I'm afraid to try getting older ones..probably 100's.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Hoarder :D (Me)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
10just

Post by 10just »

Thought about buying a duplicate the other day, but if that cash is really burning a hole in your pocket its worth shopping around for a new model.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Definite hoarder here. :p :p I have multiples of a number of different knives. Some day I'll offer to my kids the ones they want, and sell off a bunch-o Spydies. That day may not be too far off. My office closed a few months back and I'm temporarily retired. :) Been buying for years and have never sold a knife, though gifted many. My kids really don't want to hassle with selling knives, and there's limited space on a boat. Already started the yard sales to thin out years of accumulated "junk" Looking forward to having less to maintain and more free time to fish and dive. Grandchildren are the best :D