52100 Military, what are your plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gingerninja

Re: 52100 Military, what are your plans?

Post by gingerninja »

I've had one one on pre-order for a month now with KC. I hope Im not to far down the list on this one, I will be keeping my fingers crossed and anxiously checking my order status several times daily till I find out if It's shipped. KC has fulfilled all the other pre-orders I've had with them so I suppose I could relax a bit but I'd really hate to miss out on this one.
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

^ me too, but I improved my chances and placed 3 orders with 3 different sites. 1 has shipped, 1 has payment already and the 1 on list at KC...still no word on it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All this last minute scramble, now ya know why I put my preorder in 6 months ago. I'm not playing around with this one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scroop wrote:^ me too, but I improved my chances and placed 3 orders with 3 different sites. 1 has shipped, 1 has payment already and the 1 on list at KC...still no word on it.
Wow, kind of disappointed that KC was one of if not the first place to open preorders yet seem to be the last ones shipping anything.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I think Ive had mine in for about 6 months at KC.
Ill prolly wind up getting the 204P version as well.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:
Scroop wrote:^ me too, but I improved my chances and placed 3 orders with 3 different sites. 1 has shipped, 1 has payment already and the 1 on list at KC...still no word on it.
Wow, kind of disappointed that KC was one of if not the first place to open preorders yet seem to be the last ones shipping anything.
It always seems to be that way. They never quite figure out the pre order thing as well as others.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Nevermind
Last edited by Brock O Lee on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Scroop

Post by Scroop »

This was ordered December 26, 2013, so I'm a little gun shy with their fulfillment process. Then my credit card that was used for that purchased had expired, when they called to get updated info the guy read back order date and shipping date and said "Wow"...lol
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Donut

Post by Donut »

Ankerson wrote:
Donut wrote:As far as I know, the collectors always get them first, even before the non-collectors get to dealers.

Yes, I know how it works. :)

Now if those are dealer numbers........ ;)
Ah yeah. From what I've read, when you join the collector's club, you get to choose your Spyderco dealer to work with. It's not like Spyderco ships them directly to you.

If the Dealer itself held the collector's club, which I know some dealers hold a few so they get a couple more of each sprint, that would just eliminate one jump through the shipping. Spyderco > Dealer > Collector. The dealer would get it and keep it (or sell it on ebay first).

I think I've heard that some people who join the collectors club and choose their dealer, they also communicate with the dealer. They could tell the dealer that they don't want a specific model and the dealer would put it up for sale, the dealer could keep it, or they could sell it outside of the normal chain.

I don't remember all of the dealers who sell things on ebay, but I remember that there are a number of them. I personally don't use ebay for anything.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Yeah, I never buy anything on EBAY. LOL
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Evil D wrote:It could just be the video but the finish looks finer on the blade. This is a steel that would really benefit from a higher polished finish, maybe like the BD1 Manix 2 LW has. A finer finish would help reduce corrosion at least a little for those who are worried about that.
I noticed the finish too. It looks polished in the video. I like the usual satin finish, but i'm sure I'd like this one even polished to a mirror sheen. It might contrast well against the black :p

As far as the collector club goes, since those guys are obligated to take X number of every release. I envy them all the knives they get but would cut them a little slack because of the huge expense.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I ordered mine from KC on 15 Nov 2015 and I'm not too concerned about it -- I've pre-ordered around four knives from them and had no probs. I've also got my Ouroboros on order with them.

Well... maybe I'm getting a little nervous. In the past if I was really concerned, I've pre-ordered one, then bought one where they first arrived, then either cancelled the pre-order or bought both, but since I never had a problem with pre-order, I didn't plan to double buy this time. Really, since there's going to be 1200 1000*, and they'll be shipping in small batched for a long time, I don't think we have to worry... but things could be a little different now that the new factory addition is in operation :eek:

*Edit: Correction 1000, not 1200 -- see below (better go ahead and grab 'em ;) )
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DJ

Post by DJ »

Are there any steel snobs here ??
What other popular steel compares to 52100 ??
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

DougC-3 wrote:I ordered mine from KC on 15 Nov 2015 and I'm not too concerned about it -- I've pre-ordered around four knives from them and had no probs. I've also got my Ouroboros on order with them.

Well... maybe I'm getting a little nervous. In the past if I was really concerned, I've pre-ordered one, then bought one where they first arrived, then either cancelled the pre-order or bought both, but since I never had a problem with pre-order, I didn't plan to double buy this time. Really, since there's going to be 1200, and they'll be shipping in small batched for a long time, I don't think we have to worry... but things could be a little different now that the new factory addition is in operation :eek:
This is a 1000 piece run.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Bile Bob wrote:
DougC-3 wrote:I ordered mine from KC on 15 Nov 2015 and I'm not too concerned about it -- I've pre-ordered around four knives from them and had no probs. I've also got my Ouroboros on order with them.

Well... maybe I'm getting a little nervous. In the past if I was really concerned, I've pre-ordered one, then bought one where they first arrived, then either cancelled the pre-order or bought both, but since I never had a problem with pre-order, I didn't plan to double buy this time. Really, since there's going to be 1200, and they'll be shipping in small batched for a long time, I don't think we have to worry... but things could be a little different now that the new factory addition is in operation :eek:
This is a 1000 piece run.
Thanks for the correction. I had it mixed up with the KW exclusives.
SteelSpyder

Post by SteelSpyder »

DJ wrote:Are there any steel snobs here ??
What other popular steel compares to 52100 ??
It's performance should be similar to steels like 5160, 1095, Super Blue ect. Although all have slightly different composition, the performance difference shouldn't be huge.
DJ

Post by DJ »

Ive basically turned into a steel snob over the years ........lol
Usually but not always , I only buy super steel knives .......
Thanks for responding to my silly question.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is similar to other carbon steels like steelspyder mentioned. O1 is another similar steel that is fairly common. However, this 52100 Military is gonnna be run a little harder than many carbon steels. 1095 is fairly ubiquitous in the knife world and companies build almost their entire product line with it. Tops, Esse, Ontario, and Kabar/Becker all use a ton of 1095 but they run it for toughness at around 56-58. This Military in 52100 is gonna be run over 60 and maybe even a couple points over 60. For some reason I think we were told 62-63 but that is off the top of my head so I am gonna have to see if I can find that thread. Anyway, my point is that while this is a carbon steel knife that it will not be like many of the other carbon steel knives out there. Comparing it to Spyderco's Super Blue may be the closest example. Of course we won't really know anything until we get them in hand and see for ourselves.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I started a thread requesting some more carbon steel Spydies over two years ago. It didn't seem warmly received at the time but here we are two years later with a 52100 Military and apparently a few more carbon steel knives on the horizon. Sal, you are the man. I am not taking credit for this but am quite grateful that this has come to fruition and am eager to find out what other models you have in the works. As always Sal, you are the man. Thanks....

The thread ended up being quite informative.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=70828
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I actually want this knife because the steel isn't "super". I have plenty of those steels and I'll eventually get the S110V Military as well but I want it because it's so different.
~David