Rhino

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JT

Re: Rhino

Post by JT »

Holy moly, if that price is right, I'm gonna get more than a handfull of them. :eek:
DIY scale mod to suit a southpaw should be relatively easy.. and no need to worry, if the price is as advertised. :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Of the upcoming Spyderco designs, this might be the one I am most excited for! Glad to see the trailing point making a comeback, and am hoping to see it more often!
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

SpyderNut wrote:Thank you for posting the info from the Mid-Year Catalog, Sparky2016. That was the first thing I saw when I opened this thread. :)
Thanks, glad to see others share my enthusiasm for this new design. Nice work! It can't be easy coming up with something new.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Sharp Guy wrote:I have to admit that I'm not exactly thrilled with the blade shape but, for $50 for a small folder with compression lock, you can bet I'll get one of these.
I would think it could be more appealing to those new to Spyderco. The leaf shape etc. can take some time to appreciate.

And a lot of people buy based on how cool the knife looks, to them and others, rather than utility. The Rhino should appeal more broadly than some knives.

It also helps with the under-2.5" blade limit for federal facilities. Yet has a bigger handle than most small blades.
Chinook3

Post by Chinook3 »

clovisc wrote:Of the upcoming Spyderco designs, this might be the one I am most excited for! Glad to see the trailing point making a comeback, and am hoping to see it more often!
Ditto. Bring back the trailing point.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Joris Mo wrote:Did think it to be a bit small when holding it at the Spydiemeet but at this price I'll definitely get one!
At this price point it should be a brilliant addition to the catalog, best looking friendly priced and friendly looking sized blade around.
Ofcourse also great to see a compression lock at this price level.
This one should go big, congratulations on finally having it out there!
Thank you, Joris Mo. Appreciate the kind words. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JT wrote:Holy moly, if that price is right, I'm gonna get more than a handfull of them. :eek:
DIY scale mod to suit a southpaw should be relatively easy.. and no need to worry, if the price is as advertised. :)
Agreed! I'm planning to buy several to gift to family and friends. :)

Scale mods and modes for South Paw access shouldn't be too much of an issue; I've already been planning to do a handle swap with a new material... :D

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

clovisc wrote:Of the upcoming Spyderco designs, this might be the one I am most excited for! Glad to see the trailing point making a comeback, and am hoping to see it more often!
Thank you, sir! It is great to see you back! :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

sparky2016 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:Thank you for posting the info from the Mid-Year Catalog, Sparky2016. That was the first thing I saw when I opened this thread. :)
Thanks, glad to see others share my enthusiasm for this new design. Nice work! It can't be easy coming up with something new.
Thanks Sparky. :) It was a lot of fun working on the Rhino design. It is very rewarding to see a design "come to life" from a paper drawing all the way to a functional tool.

JT

Post by JT »

Now, only thing we need is a release date :D
This/these will be my first Taiwan made Spydies, it's about time I guess :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

JT wrote:Now, only thing we need is a release date :D
This/these will be my first Taiwan made Spydies, it's about time I guess :D
You don't have any Spydies from Taiwan?! :eek:
lol they are like the best ones...chaparral, des horn, gayle bradley anything, serrata....etc
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sully wrote: When the champagne eventually does stop flowing, :) please share any details you can about the :spyder: journey and also your designer''s mark.
As promised to our brother, Sully, here is a brief overview regarding my collaborative journey with Sal and Eric. For the sake of brevity, I will spare you of all the nitty-gritty details of the journey. (I imagine that few people would likely enjoy reading a story that rivals the length of Tolstoy's War and Peace. ;)) On a side note, the following story should not be viewed as the best or only way to submit a knife design to Spyderco--every knife's story is a little different. Finally, I have included a little background information about my designer's mark.

I originally came up with the concept for the Rhino design about two years ago. I've always been a fan of trailing point bladed designs (like the Chinook and Lil' Temperance "Rhino Horn"), so I wanted to design a "little-big-knife" folder that featured a trailing-point (or "rhino horn") style blade that would be useful as a small skinning knife and also for every-day carry. It was an exciting time because I actually had a chance to show Sal and Eric the original sketch for the Rhino while visiting the 2014 Blade Show. Sal and Eric were very kind to set aside some time to review the sketch and offer some helpful feedback. At that time, I couldn't have imagined that the Rhino would be eventually considered for a collaboration with Spyderco.

Shortly after returning home from the Blade Show, I went to work on making the Rhino. I selected CPM-S35VN stainless steel for my blade material, titanium for my liner material, and dark green canvas Micarta for my handle scale material. After completing the knife, I sent a letter and a few pictures of the knife to Sal and Eric and asked for their honest feedback of the design. Much to my amazement, Sal not only responded and kindly complemented the design, but also asked if he could take the knife with him to show at a few upcoming knife shows. (Talk about feeling humbled). In June 2015, I received word from Spyderco that they had decided to pursue the Rhino for a collaboration. Words could not describe my excitement! Following this exciting news, there is not much more one can do except to wait as the knife makes it way through the design and manufacturing process. Spyderco has been very kind in keeping me updated along the way with the status of the Rhino. It has been an amazing journey indeed. Once again, I am forever indebted to Sal and Eric for blessing me with this incredible opportunity. I couldn't be happier with the Spyderco version of the Rhino and am quite pleased to see some interest in the design from the good folks here on the Forum.

As for my designer's mark, I chose to use a stylized hummingbird for my logo because like the hummingbird itself, I would like to say that my knife designs are mighty for their size. ;)

All the best,

--Michael

Sully

Post by Sully »

Hey Michael, thanks for taking the time to share your epic journey. It is such an impressive little beast you designed. No doubt it even has a bit of your positive karma built in as well. Can't ask for more than that! Looking forward to the Rhino and many more well-designed knives in the future with a Hummingbird on the blade. :)
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Michael, thanks for providing us with a little of the design history of the Rhino. You have to be thrilled to see your creation finally coming to market. I know I commented earlier that I wasn't to keen on the blade shape but the more I look at it the more I'm looking forward to having something a little different in my collection. The blade shape, small size, compression lock, and the great price make this one a no brainer for me. I hope this knife is a huge success for you and Spyderco.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That's a great story, thank you for sharing. So once you sent your proto to Spyderco you were Rhino-less? Did you make a second one?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Michael,
Thank you for sharing. hopefully we will see a sprint with S35Vn and dark green canvas micarta. i will take polished G10 if micarta absolutely no-no. I hope that sale will be good enough for get the sprint. :) most likely this wasn't your design intent, but for me it is good watch pocket knife. I just need to decide if I need one or two :) I am not greedy. Only one for me. Second will be for friend.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sully wrote:Hey Michael, thanks for taking the time to share your epic journey. It is such an impressive little beast you designed. No doubt it even has a bit of your positive karma built in as well. Can't ask for more than that! Looking forward to the Rhino and many more well-designed knives in the future with a Hummingbird on the blade. :)
You are too kind, Sully. Thank you for the nice comments. :) I only hope that the Rhino lives up to your and the Gang's expectations. ;)

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sharp Guy wrote:Michael, thanks for providing us with a little of the design history of the Rhino. You have to be thrilled to see your creation finally coming to market. I know I commented earlier that I wasn't to keen on the blade shape but the more I look at it the more I'm looking forward to having something a little different in my collection. The blade shape, small size, compression lock, and the great price make this one a no brainer for me. I hope this knife is a huge success for you and Spyderco.
Thank you, Sharp Guy. That is very kind of you. :) You'll have to let me know what you think of the Rhino once you have a chance to use it for a bit. Hopefully, it will be a useful design for you. :)

Take care,

Michael

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:That's a great story, thank you for sharing. So once you sent your proto to Spyderco you were Rhino-less? Did you make a second one?
No problem, LC. It is my pleasure. :) Yes, that is correct, Sal and Eric possess my only Rhino (which has left me Rhino-less for the time-being). However, I recently started on making two other Rhinos, one in CPM-M4 and one in a new "mystery" steel. :D

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:Michael,
Thank you for sharing. hopefully we will see a sprint with S35Vn and dark green canvas micarta. i will take polished G10 if micarta absolutely no-no. I hope that sale will be good enough for get the sprint. :) most likely this wasn't your design intent, but for me it is good watch pocket knife. I just need to decide if I need one or two :) I am not greedy. Only one for me. Second will be for friend.
Roman
Thank you, Roman. I always appreciate your kind words. :) Yes, as a matter of fact, I did have the intention of this being a knife that could be carried loosely in a pocket (or a watch pocket). Prior to sending it to Spyderco, I tested the Rhino in the watch pocket of my carpenter jeans and it fit quite well. I would probably remove the pocket clip and just carry it loosely your pocket, just like a traditional jackknife. :)

I hope your friend will like it. That is a kind gesture of you. :)

-Michael