Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Re: Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Post by SpyderNut »

bh49 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
bh49 wrote:EuroEdge is also growing on me. I cannot imagine carrying this one, unless I want entire office to pi in their pants and call FBI on me. But it will be great collection piece.
Lol, just tell the office it's your new high-end letter opener and you should be good to go. ;)
you first :D :D :D :D
But of course, my friend, lol. ;) :D Nobody at my office even bats an eye when I whip out my Police to open my mail (jk). :p I need to get a Tanataka. :D :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

After watching the video, looks like I'm going to have to pick up an Advocate after all. I'm guessing availability might be 3-8+ months, so no used pre-ordering?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Hey man, when do I get my Caribbean? :)
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

How do you handle the pre-release time interval, when one of these models goes onto your *must have* list?

1- visit forum regularly
2- rely on in-stock email update (National Knife)
3- pre-order, i.e. KnifeCenter
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

roger-roger wrote:How do you handle the pre-release time interval, when one of these models goes onto your *must have* list?

1- visit forum regularly
4. Wait patiently for one to appear on a reputable dealer's website.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
swigert

Post by swigert »

demoncase wrote:
roger-roger wrote:How do you handle the pre-release time interval, when one of these models goes onto your *must have* list?

1- visit forum regularly
4. Wait patiently for one to appear on a reputable dealer's website.
I'm a strictly forum guy and I've never missed one. Bookmarking threads etc.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Thanks.

I visit knife forums only periodically (every 1-3 yr or more), mainly to update my very modest user collection. Looks like I'll be hanging around for a longer stay this time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

That sustain is at the top of my list.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

1- visit forum regularly
4- Pre-order, sometimes from more than one store, visit forum regularly, bookmark every reputable online Spyderco retailer, AND buy more Spyderco's to soothe the nerves while waiting for delivery (that's how you end up with nearly 300 Spydies, and live under a bridge :D ).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

rodloos wrote:

1- visit forum regularly
4- Pre-order, sometimes from more than one store, visit forum regularly, bookmark every reputable online Spyderco retailer, AND buy more Spyderco's to soothe the nerves while waiting for delivery (that's how you end up with nearly 300 Spydies, and live under a bridge :D ).

Impressive collection you have there. My brain would probably blow up if I tried the same.

Otoh it looks like I'll be acquiring at least a couple other Spyderco this time around. This on top of the Blurple Para (out for regrind), and 204P Millie (due in a few days). Of course I sold a black Para, and gave my brother the blue before hand. :rolleyes:
BTG

Post by BTG »

Had change of heart, decided to nix the Advocate..preordered a Sustain, a sage 5, and two Rhino's...may still put the Advocate back in...but would really rather get another GB1 before they totally disappear.
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I'm looking at the Advocate in the future.
I'm also still down for the Shaman if it's still in the works.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

There are way more interesting knives for me in this update, then there were when the original 2016 catalog came out. If I limit myself to just three, it's going to be the Euro Dagger (loved the proto and concept models before), the Rhino and the Magnitude. Although the Rhino and the Sustain were pretty sweet too.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
mattman

Post by mattman »

Mr Blonde wrote:There are way more interesting knives for me in this update, then there were when the original 2016 catalog came out. If I limit myself to just three, it's going to be the Euro Dagger (loved the proto and concept models before), the Rhino and the Magnitude. Although the Rhino and the Sustain were pretty sweet too.

??

Curious?
sabb8pro2

Post by sabb8pro2 »

Lots of great looking knives, but no tip down clip options. That's usually a dealbreaker for me. Bummer.
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Brock O Lee wrote:Does this Jumpmaster 2 not look like a full tang salt version of the Temperance 1? I was looking hard for a Temperance 1 SE some time ago, but could not find one anywhere.
I once photoshopped the handle of the Jumpmaster onto the Temperance 2 (when Mike Janich visited a Navy SERE school, that's the design the instructors suggested) and the handles of the Temperance and the Jumpmaster look virtually identical.

Z2KCT

Post by Z2KCT »

The more I look at the EuroEdge the more I realize that I'm going to need to buy this knife.
PM2 Digi-Cam Satin, PM2 Black Satin, Orange Dragonfly, Smallfly, Yojimbo2, Dog-Tag DLC, Spyderco Lum Tanto
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

mattman wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:There are way more interesting knives for me in this update, then there were when the original 2016 catalog came out. If I limit myself to just three, it's going to be the Euro Dagger (loved the proto and concept models before), the Rhino and the Magnitude. Although the Ouroboros and the Sustain were pretty sweet too.
??

Curious?
Just a typo, I meant that the Ouroboros and Sustain were probably going to find a place in my collection as well.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Have to hand it to Spyderco for the very nifty Product Guide, and thanks RamZar for the Blade video link. I can hardly wait to get my hands on the Ouroboros. Hmmm... I wonder if its too soon to start asking for a sprint. A solid super steel would be great, but I'd take a laminate, since I'm betting it's made at G-Sakai. Super Blue or HAP40 would do nicely.

The Advocate is very interesting, but it would be nice if the lock release were a little more lefty friendly like the Ti Millie RILs. Same for the Spydiechef, which is appealing too. Its blade angle and shape look super functional and I sure would like to try the LC200 N-- had no idea it was another ball bearing steel. It would be a great mate for my 52100 Millie :D Looks like a great combo EDC and kitchen knife.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
paulwa

Post by paulwa »

DougC-3 wrote:I can hardly wait to get my hands on the Ouroboros. Hmmm... I wonder if its too soon to start asking for a sprint. A solid super steel would be great, but I'd take a laminate, since I'm betting it's made at G-Sakai. Super Blue or HAP40 would do nicely.
It's been a long time coming, so I'm right ther with you, Doug. When I was alerted to its inclusion in the mid-year, the only additional info I received from Spyderco was that they planed release for this year, so only 6 months left on the outside. Personally, I've been more focused on the other, more recent submissions I've sent in and some brand new designs, but between work and life in general, things have slowed the last few months. I'm hoping summer will free up a little more time to get back to those efforts.

As far as a sprint goes, anything would be cool in my book, but it will likely depend on how well the original sells. The Ouroboros is a bit unconventional, and some folks need to handle it before they "get it", so it might not be that popular with with the average buyer (I'd love to be wrong on that front). Nishijin and Super Blue would be my vote, if nishijin can handle a nested liner. The woven look on the scales with a nicely developed patina would make for a pretty striking piece, IMO. Maybe even remove the belly and turn it into a wharncliffe if more dramatic mods could be made...

- Paul