Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Re: Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Post by Surfingringo »

PaleMoon wrote:Advocate looks amazing, but considering I live a few meters from the sea in one of the most humid place on the planet, I might have to wait until I move back to a more temperate climate before picking it up... I'm too worried about the pivot area in high-end non-stainless folders.
Hi Palemoon, just for reference, I live right on the Pacific ocean in Central America. I've had the custom version of that "Advocate" for almost a year with no rust issues. I make sure to clean it after use and have sprayed it with a bit of wd40 a couple of times, but that's it.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Skidoosh wrote:Are all the knives in the mid-year actual size of the photos?
I'd guess yes, based on the fact that the Sustain is shown with an "actual size" guide but the others are not, which to me implies that they don't need them.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

WOW...and WOE! Never have so many must have knives been introduced at the same time.

First is the Advocate: I have a soft spot for titanium scales anyway, now one with a new texture treatment and it has a M4 blade! Where can I get on the preorder list? Looks like a winner!

The Euroedge: best looking knife I've seen...maybe ever. Only one word to describe it, SEXY! I can't wait to get this one in hand, the treatment of the G10 scales is incredible. Not since the loveless designed boot dagger that Gerber made in the eighties have I decided to add a dagger to my collection.

Reinhold Rhino: Like others, I am not super excited about the steel choice, but I will own one of these nonetheless. Hopefully this one will be popular enough to warrant sprint runs in different steels. (I am still dreaming of this one in done in grey G10 with maybe S90V.)

Spydiechef: I recently finally acquired a Spyderco Tusk in LC200N. After using it for a couple months I am most impressed with the edge holding ability of the blade; much better than plain edge H1. I have been advocating for a titanium scaled salt model for a long time, and now one is finally being made. I can't wait to get one, and am curious to see how well it performs in the kitchen as well as an EDC type of knife. Being impervious to corrosion, this might just become the most carried knife I own.

Jumpmaster 2: Finally a Spyderco fixed blade for my bug out bag!

WOW! so many great new knives. WOE! it's going to be expensive. So, about me taking a part time second job...

Grizz
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

A ton of awesome stuff in this supplement! Bravo Spyderco!

I handled the Magnitude (albeit a custom) at last year's Amsterdam Meet, and it was just nonsense awesome. It seriously remained warm the entire time from handling, and the sound of it snapping open served as something of a soundtrack for the day. I will acquire this knife at some point, practicality be darned.

The Advocate was also at that same Amsterdam Meet, and the orange peel texture was really cool, unique, AND functional. At that point there was some question as to whether they could recreate it in the production setting, and it's great to see that they were able to. If I could have a Sage 2 with that texture, sign me up!

The Ouroborus felt great in hand, and the knife really "worked" both open and closed, and is very carry friendly. A must-have for me.

I'm also really excited for the sustain, which handled surprisingly nimbly for such a large fixed blade. One day, I'll have a use for all these Spydie fixed blades I can't stop myself from acquiring.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm really liking the Euroedge. What a cool surprise! I can't get enough of the Ed Schempp ethnic folders!
:bug-red-white
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

This may have been answered somewhere else, but when will these knives become readily available for purchase?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Junction is the must have for me on the list. I love my Bradley Bowie. I think the Junction will be a great backpacking knife and it should field dress deer quite well too. A 4.15 inch blade with 2.5 mm stock! Oh yeah! It also only weighs 4.1 ounces with that 4.15 inch blade. If the grind is the same as the Bradley Bowie then the tip should still be quite strong even with that 2.5 mm stock. I am anxious to get this one in my hands and see. :D

Here is a gratuitous pic of my Bradley Bowie and Delica4 riding in the sheath from my Becker BK15 which is now riding in a different sheath. This has been a great woods bumming combo for me. The Junction should be also.

The Ouroborus, Rhino and Sage5 are all knives I will definitely try to pick up at some point.

I don't care for flippers and avoid ball bearings. The Advocate is tempting but like the Mantras I am probably gonna pass. It sure does look nice and my guess is that it is gonna be very popular.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

mrtodd777 wrote:This may have been answered somewhere else, but when will these knives become readily available for purchase?
Hopefully by the end of the year is all you can assume.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
LC Kid

SpyderChef / Advocate / Sage 5

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Ok, my must haves are: :spyder:

- SpyderChef: looks as nice as I could possibly want, and the blade shape promises wonders. And I really want to try the LC200N, everything points like it'd beat the great H1. :cool:

- Advocate: a must since I saw the TAC1 pics from the Amsterdam Meet. Just need to Hand-Test it, regarding the ball bearings pivot.

- Sage 5: since the very first time I saw it looks to me like the best ever version of the Sage series. :)

- Byrd Starling 2: I'm just a sucker for the LadyBug size blades. :D

The Rubicon 2 looks very nice, but since I never was a fan of the Rubicon must try it in hand before. Certainly looks very pocketable.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Is there a reason why no one has embedded a link yet? :confused:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/2016Spy ... atalog.pdf

If the Good LORD's willing and the creeks don't rise, Paladin will own:

1. Rhino

2. Ouroboros

3. EuroEdge
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Ok, must have's
1. Sage 5 (Got to have all the Sages in true Pokémon fashion :) )
2. Euroedge, looks to me like a Sgian Dubh, nice!
3. Don't know.. every time i am thinking of a current production knife, a vintage disco'd one pops up, pushing it down the list.. If this continues i will probably buy disco'd Pattada and Mantra in a couple years tim LOL
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

There are a lot that I want but I'm probably going to stay away from the flippers until they get this washer thing figured out.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

The Advocate and the Rhino are the two I want to have. Due to price, the Rhino is the only one I will have. Really digging it, hope it drops soon!
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

The Sage 5 is the only must have for me. While I like the new Rubicon, the Advocate, and the Magnitude, I'm not a collector. Users only for me, and I know I would never use them.
My Sage 1 is easily my EDC number one with a bullet, but I think the Sage 5 will move into that spot, since my PM2 is my second most carried...
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Just saw the price on the rhino and is a must buy for me now.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

I really don't like ANY of them....don't kill me fellas!!
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Three must haves: Sage 5, Advocate and SpydieChef.

MAP Pricing (40% off MSRP):
  1. Sage 5: $131.97
  2. Rubicon 2: $209.97
  3. Ouroboros: $167.97
  4. Rhino: $47.97
  5. SpydieChef: $191.97
  6. Magnitude: $281.97
  7. Advocate: $221.97
  8. EuroEdge: $221.97
  9. Jumpmaster 2: $149.97
  10. Sustain: $179.97
  11. Junction: $179.97
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

RamZar wrote:Three must haves: Sage 5, Advocate and SpydieChef.

MAP Pricing (40% off MSRP):
  1. Sage 5: $131.97
  2. Rubicon 2: $209.97
  3. Ouroboros: $167.97
  4. Rhino: $47.97
  5. SpydieChef: $191.97
  6. Magnitude: $281.97
  7. Advocate: $221.97
  8. EuroEdge: $221.97
  9. Jumpmaster 2: $149.97
  10. Sustain: $179.97
  11. Junction: $179.97
Thanks RamZar, this is very helpful breakdown :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

Yeah thanks ramzar that is very helpful. The ouroboros is more than I thought it would be. Rhino moved to the top of my list now just for that price. Rhino, and sage 5 for sure. Ouroboros a probably but I'll wait a little bit after the release.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Wow, digging the price on that Rhino. I'll probably have to give that one a go...hard not to at that price!