Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Post by Skidoosh »

Love the advocate
Warrior1

Re: Mid-Year Product Guide Discussion

Post by Warrior1 »

Advocate, Sage 5 and Junction are musts for this guy. 3 out of 12.
The older I get, the better I was...!
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

I'm all about the Advocate as well. I'm wondering what it will retail for though. I'm also interested in the Rubicon 2, and the Sage 5. I know that I would like the Magnitude, but I'm sure that it will be out of my price range.

I'm on the fence about the SpydieChef. I'm just not sure about the blade shape yet. I was really hoping for the Caribbean to be announced. I think I'll probably wait for that to be my first LC200N knife.

Unfortunately, it will be a bit before I will probably get around to any of them. I need to get a Caly 3.5 before they disappear and I'm sure I'll get lured into a Sprint Run.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sheesh. Nice work Spyderco.

Absofreakinglutely must haves:

1. Advocate
2. Magnitude
3. Ouroboros
4. Spydichef
5. Rubicon 2
6. Rhino

Maybes:

1. Euroedge (Probably a must have, just need to see more pictures)
2. Sage 5
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bh49

Post by bh49 »

There are only two knives I am interested at this time: Rhino and Magnitude. Magnitude is actually surprise for me. But most likely will not be able to afford. Probably street around $300.
I like the blade on Advocate, I like handle as well, but I do not like them together. Either handle is too wide for this blade or the blade is too narrow for this handle.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BTG

Post by BTG »

Whew...wallet will finally get a rest...Advocate for sure...on the fence with the sage 5...have a positron, and thinking 1 CF knife with a WIRE clip is enough...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Advocate will be more than I want to spend but is freaking awesome. I will have to handle the Ouboros before buying, which is easily doable. The Rhino is my favorite and I will have to get over the BD1 choice. Not my favorite steel from an edge holding but I guess it beats 8cr by a mile. Really would have liked VG10
SG89

Post by SG89 »

All the knives look great but I think the Rubicon 2 is the one that piques my interest the most and I did not expect that to happen. I wonder what the price will be? Just want to congratulate SpyderNut again on getting his design made. Gotta be a dream come true and hopefully you can collaborate again in the future.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:The Rhino is my favorite and I will have to get over the BD1 choice. Not my favorite steel from an edge holding but I guess it beats 8cr by a mile. Really would have liked VG10
And I do not know why not. Lately I saw tons of the knives made in Taiwan with VG10. VG10 would be nice. May be $5 more, but I can live with this price increase.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

First of all, the advocate; I own the small tac1 flipper that this one is based on and it is an outstanding knife! Imagine a ti Bradley folder that has a flat grind a flipper and carries far slimmer. This knife is slightly thinner than a Delica and disappears in the pocket like no other I own. I think it is going to be very popular once folks start getting them in hand and see what a great design it is.

As far as what I'm interested in?

-Jumpmaster 2 for sure.
-I like the sage 5 and will likely get one at some point.
-Sustain and EuroEdge are both super cool but I'll probably have a hard time justifying either. Love the sheath on the sustain!
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

1.ouroboros
2.sage5
3.spydiechef
4.magnitude
5.advocate

Ouroboros I will be picking up no matter what. Sage 5 depends on when the spydiechef drops and it's price. The rest I know will be out of my price range but I still like them. I'm kind of surprised there were no sprints on there.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah I was surprised at the lack of sprints too.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Advocate looks amazing, but considering I live a few meters from the sea in one of the most humid place on the planet, I might have to wait until I move back to a more temperate climate before picking it up... I'm too worried about the pivot area in high-end non-stainless folders.

Spydiechef, I wasn't too excited with this one, but this catalog has me sold 100%. Absolute must buy.

Magnitude looks great! Euroedge is also an intriguing design. I'll wait to see/hear more about those two.

The Rhino... This was my most wanted knife after the Amsterdam meet, but like others above, I really wish it came in VG10 or S30V. Also, it seems the tang protrudes over the comp lock when closed? I hope it won't affect handling too much. Nevertheless, another must buy for me. The world needs more trailing point folders.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Rino is definitely on my short list. The Junction is, also. It looks like a very useful design. The Sage 5 finally makes me want to buy a Sage.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Are all the knives in the mid-year actual size of the photos?
jylong_away

Post by jylong_away »

*Sigh*...why, oh why couldn't the Euroedge have a left-hand carry option as well? Would've been all over that...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Really digging the euroedge, reminds me of the zowada but bigger, I'll be grabbing one when they drop.

The rhino for sure, who could pass up this sweet little compression lock by one of the nicest guys on the forum.

Probably also grab the Ouroboros and the spydiechef.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Advocate & Sage 5 are the only two that really interest me. I'm guessing the Advocate will probably be out of my price range but you never know. I'm still trying to decide if I really want a flipper.

The Rubicon 2 & Magnitude are interesting to me as well but I'm thinking they're also on the upper end of the price spectrum. I'm not sure I find them that interesting and again, not sure if I need a flipper.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Euro Edge is one I'm totally gobsmacked has made into the mid-year supplement- I fell in love with it at the Amsterdam meets, and I'm really made up it's going to get released into the wild....It's a must have for me. :D

The Sage 5, Advocate, Ourobouros and the Spydiechef are definite-maybes too.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

The Magnitude looks awesome to me, even though I generally really, REALLY dislike flippers. The Spydiechef is also a knife I've liked from the first time I saw one. The Rhino and Sage 5 also have me giving them a second look.