Busch tastes on a microbrew budget??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Busch tastes on a microbrew budget??

Post by twinboysdad »

It's official...I just like FRN better than G10. What is wrong with me? I suppose me favoring users over safe queens and strength over steel might affect my preferences, but my favorite and most carried are FRN at this point
Blerv

Re: Busch tastes on a microbrew budget??

Post by Blerv »

Spyderco FRN always seems warmer to the touch, more grippy in hand, and less harsh on pockets (than coarse G10). They are also extremely affordable for lack of the machining.

If budget is not a concern there are G10/CF/Micarta handles that are just dreamy. Properly sculped, not hotspots, no sharp liners hiding to annoy you, etc. In a blind test tho anything under about $150 is going to be hard pressed to be as comfortable as Spyderco FRN.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Funny you should mention that, lately I've been carrying one of my Delica's regularly even though I have the entire spectrum of other scale materials to choose from but there's just something good and simple about the FRN that I've been digging lately. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would add that the Japan/Spyderco G10 is my favorite which is the thinnest and least grippy. I exchanged my new Yojimbo 2 for a Native LW S110V about an hour ago. I could not leave the house with the Yo2 but I am ready to cut stuff up immediately with this N5LW
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I carry my bolstered Stretch, black palm Stretch 2, cocobolo Stretch, lignum vitae Stretch, and FRN/VG-10 Stretch with about equal regularity.

As for G10, to my eye there's G10, and then there's G10. Polished, G10 looks decent. Polished and crowned, or polished with an "Anso style" texture, it exhibits an almost wood-like grain and can be quite attractive. In flat slabs, peel-ply textured, it is singularly unattractive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PWork

Post by PWork »

It took me a while to warm up to Zytel/FRN many years ago but now it is my favorite synthetic handle material in a folder.

I too buy knives geared towards using.
Paul
BTG

Post by BTG »

In typical spydie-a-holic style I've been carrying 2 FRN, SB MB in pocket, LBHB on keys, s110v PM2 right front and CF positron right cargo...when in doubt, get them all..
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I like frn a lot and most of my favorite models are in frn. I do prefer the Japanese frn to what they are using in Golden though...its a bit less "plastic" feeling.
Nate

Post by Nate »

It took me a while to warm up to frn, but I'm a big fan.

I really like the variety of textures that have been offered, hence why I'm also partial to stuff like the twill cf on the Chaparral and alox SAKs.

Here's a recycled pic of some of my favorite (mostly frn) urban/office edc's:

As an aside, I neeeeeed a new ffg UKPK, but when are they going to do that sprint, or at least a run in something other than black... :confused: :)
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

FRN is wonderful stuff, and when (not if) you drop it, it doesn't chip. I've always liked it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Seki's FRN :spyder: ... What else to say? :cool:
Chris :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the Japanese made FRN knives. It has a smooth texture and does not feel like cheap plastic. With the bi-directional texturing it simply will not move around in the hand, no matter how oily or slimy the hands are. I also like the way the Italian FRN scales have turned out. I have no issues with FRN at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've a long love affair with Spyderco FRN-

The older 'Volcano' texture FRN of the Delica 3 was the real 'epiphany' for me- that an all plastic handle could be solid and grip yet sleek.
I'm super pleased this is still the go-to choice for the Salt range of today :)

The 'scallop' pattern on the Caly models is OK, but the current Bi-directional FRN of the Delicas (etc) is proper 'hand velcro'- if you manage to have one slip out of your mitt with this grip pattern, then you must be washing your hands with a mixture of Teflon and baby-oil ;)

There's some outliers, though- the D'alarra and Native 3 range are hand-filling and comfortable but the full 3d sculpted FRN takes up a lot of pocket real estate and makes for a sticky draw from the pocket
The Centofante 3 & 4 make FRN go upmarket with the flat sand-texture and swoopy details but lack grip in my usage.

The only thing I'd say is (of the current range) the 'waffle print' flat-style you see on the UKPK FRN, Urban and Squeaks are something of a step backwards to me- but only because the Bi-directional FRN has spoiled me rotten :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The biggest reason I prefer G10 over FRN is because I often tweak the ergos on knives, and I can bevel the corners of G10 and make it look factory. You can't really do that with FRN if you grind up into the molded pattern of the scale. Even then the texture that you sand is never the same as the texture of molded FRN.

I couldn't have made this knife a reality if it had FRN handles.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:The biggest reason I prefer G10 over FRN is because I often tweak the ergos on knives, and I can bevel the corners of G10 and make it look factory. You can't really do that with FRN if you grind up into the molded pattern of the scale. Even then the texture that you sand is never the same as the texture of molded FRN.

I have not had that issue with FRN mods. I finish it with a fine diamond file and it looks like the rest of the handle. I have to mod Endura scales to better fit my hand. I like that I can do this and it look factory. Of course, I am not taking off half a handle. I am just reprofiling a bit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:The biggest reason I prefer G10 over FRN is because I often tweak the ergos on knives, and I can bevel the corners of G10 and make it look factory. You can't really do that with FRN if you grind up into the molded pattern of the scale. Even then the texture that you sand is never the same as the texture of molded FRN.

Is that an XL Manix??
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote:

Is that an XL Manix??

Nope standard Manix 2 with the S110V Lightweight blade and a tweaked handle.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Dave, that's a really hand friendly nice looking mod.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Nothing wrong with you in my book...all my favorites are FRN as well. It's a folder for crying out loud...you know, meant to do little tasks and not be too heavy and cumbersome in the process. This is why FRN excels in my opinion. And I've also noticed that I seem to prefer Japanese FRN over USA FRN...just feels more 'natural'.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:Dave, that's a really hand friendly nice looking mod.
Thanks man it does feel great in the hand. I don't think I'd say it feels better than a standard Manix 2, just different. The best part is there's nothing even close to being in the way of the thumb hole when closed.
~David