Who designed the Chicago and Cat? The Civilian? The Police?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JasonC6612

Who designed the Chicago and Cat? The Civilian? The Police?

Post by JasonC6612 »

Do you usually notice minute differences between Sal and Erics designs? It's interesting to see how father and son can design so similarly yet differently.
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
The Deacon

Re: Who designed the Chicago and Cat? The Civilian? The Police?

Post by The Deacon »

Only someone from Spyderco could say for sure but, as with all of the other early models, I'd say it's a 99.9% certainty that Sal designed the Police and Civilian. Cat and Chicago don't seem to have any "maker's mark" on them, so I'd guess they're both collaborative efforts by the entire Spyderco design team, rather than just Sal and/or Eric.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jason,

They're all my designs. The Cat & Chicago are an evolution of the Salsa design. The Police 1 was a Mariner with a point. We're getting ready for a Police 4. The Civilian was a project for undercover LEO's, The Matriarch is an evo of the Civvie.

sal
Studey

Post by Studey »

sal wrote:Hi Jason,

They're all my designs. The Cat & Chicago are an evolution of the Salsa design. The Police 1 was a Mariner with a point. We're getting ready for a Police 4. The Civilian was a project for undercover LEO's, The Matriarch is an evo of the Civvie.

sal

Sal, any details you're able to share about the Police 4? G10, stainless frame, titanium?
sal

Post by sal »

Thin G-10 scale - mid lock-back - slight blade shape change - non Japanese steel.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's exciting. Can you tell is if this is based off the Police 3 or the standard version? Meaning, choil or no choil?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Evil,

I would say it's just a further refinement of the design, "as sal see's it". The Police has been a pet project for a long time and would like to keep it moving. It's basically a large knife, circa 4" blade, which I personally feel is somewhat ideal in the real world. A folder with a blade much larger that 4 - 4 1/2" starts the beg the fixed blade concept. We make smaller knives to service a civilized world with the impressions, concerns and laws of the civilized world. We don't want to intentionally scare anyone, yet stlil be able to perform the function of cut.

But when I'm on the mountain, like today. I ll take a Millie or a Police just to have the advantave of the larger blade. This next mod is the result of my carrying and using the model and some small details that I thought I improve. It retains the finger choil, (which I find convenient as a work knife), lock-back, etc.

sal
Studey

Post by Studey »

Looking forward to it, thanks Sal!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:Hi Evil,

I would say it's just a further refinement of the design, "as sal see's it". The Police has been a pet project for a long time and would like to keep it moving. It's basically a large knife, circa 4" blade, which I personally feel is somewhat ideal in the real world. A folder with a blade much larger that 4 - 4 1/2" starts the beg the fixed blade concept. We make smaller knives to service a civilized world with the impressions, concerns and laws of the civilized world. We don't want to intentionally scare anyone, yet stlil be able to perform the function of cut.

But when I'm on the mountain, like today. I ll take a Millie or a Police just to have the advantave of the larger blade. This next mod is the result of my carrying and using the model and some small details that I thought I improve. It retains the finger choil, (which I find convenient as a work knife), lock-back, etc.

sal

Awesome, I'll be waiting for this one. I've always been on the fence about the Police 3 but I like the sound of this.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Police 4 project is quite intriguing, Sal. Just a few questions:

By chance will this be a screw-together construction or will it be a pinned?

Will the choil area be more "pronounced," as similar to
the new G-10 Stretch (ZDP-189)?

Will it feature a FFG or HG blade (with the original swedge)?

I'd love to see any pictures of a proto of this, if possible. Thanks!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Okay, now I am intrigued by the P4. I did not like the Police and like the P3 much better. Now, the P4 sounds like it might be the one that tips me over the edge.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
flash900

Post by flash900 »

The original Cat and Chicago in CF were two of my early favorites -- many thanks, Sal.
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

flash900 wrote:The original Cat and Chicago in CF were two of my early favorites -- many thanks, Sal.
I currently own a new cat in bd1 I agree it's a GREAT design but never had cf scale version in my hands. However, this cat is my current favorite to edc due to the fact it performs like a knife of larger size and despite the lack of cf, I am beyond satisfied with this g10. I've been asking a lot about these knives lately because these are my current FAVORITES and I take pride in knowing who's designs are who's so I can not only show off the knife and company but the names of the genius minds behind the product. I really enjoy telling others who designed it. Well thank you for responding Sal that means a lot to everyone I'm sure of that! What was the very first spyderco design Eric came up with? That would be SOOO AWESOME to see
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JasonC6612 wrote:
flash900 wrote:The original Cat and Chicago in CF were two of my early favorites -- many thanks, Sal.
I currently own a new cat in bd1 I agree it's a GREAT design but never had cf scale version in my hands. However, this cat is my current favorite to edc due to the fact it performs like a knife of larger size and despite the lack of cf, I am beyond satisfied with this g10. I've been asking a lot about these knives lately because these are my current FAVORITES and I take pride in knowing who's designs are who's so I can not only show off the knife and company but the names of the genius minds behind the product. I really enjoy telling others who designed it. Well thank you for responding Sal that means a lot to everyone I'm sure of that! What was the very first spyderco design Eric came up with? That would be SOOO AWESOME to see
I'm not Sal obviously, but I believe Eric's first production model was the Dodo, IIRC.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

SpyderNut wrote:
JasonC6612 wrote:

I'm not Sal obviously, but I believe Eric's first production model was the Dodo, IIRC.

It's beautiful... :O I'm going to get one just for that lol
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
Jwc77

Post by Jwc77 »

I don't know why the Chicago doesn't get more love than it does. I have the current BD1 version with G10 and love it! The build is outstanding...it is so smooth...and the size is ideal for the days where you want a smaller (but still very capable) blade. Sure. It would be nice to have jimping...but my grip is confident even without. I like it so much that I'm sure I will eventually purchase it's bigger brother the Cat. The Chicago is one of my two favorite Spydercos along with my Yojimbo 2...it's that good!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jwc77,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wait, the Cat went to BD-1?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

araneae wrote:Wait, the Cat went to BD-1?
Yes! I Own one but I have one question. Why? Why not 440c anymore? Bd1 is okay from what people told me (I'm a knife newb) so why a change? But AMERICAN steel for those who are into that which is awesome.
Last edited by JasonC6612 on Tue May 31, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

Jwc77 wrote:I don't know why the Chicago doesn't get more love than it does. I have the current BD1 version with G10 and love it! The build is outstanding...it is so smooth...and the size is ideal for the days where you want a smaller (but still very capable) blade. Sure. It would be nice to have jimping...but my grip is confident even without. I like it so much that I'm sure I will eventually purchase it's bigger brother the Cat. The Chicago is one of my two favorite Spydercos along with my Yojimbo 2...it's that good!
Why don't either of them get much love? :( I never held a chicago but thank god (well, sal in this scenario) for the pictures in the catalog being actual size for the most part, I was able to compare it to my cat and decided to buy it. They're a classy, compact, workhorse and I was so unnecessarily skeptical of the cat before buying Im so grateful I did anyway lol
ヽ(•‿•)ノ