Removing spotting from super blue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bpahk

Removing spotting from super blue?

Post by bpahk »

After spending a few humid days in my pocket my caly developed some spotting. Any suggestions on gently removing? I'd like to avoid sanding off the sal signature if I can
image.jpg
paladin

Re: Removing spotting from super blue?

Post by paladin »

Try some Mother's Chrome Polish...find in the auto parts store.
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

To just kind of buff out? Is there any difference with that stuff vs any other polishing compound?

Do you know if that signature is lasered on or etched?
paladin

Post by paladin »

Yeah, just gently rub it on the rust, buff with a good clean cotton cloth...not much difference in other polishing compounds...worst it should do is remove your hard earned patina...I don't have that particular knife, but I believe the SAL logo is lasered.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I like what paladin suggested. Or, you could simply embrace the look and take it to a full patina by using mustard, grapefruit, etc. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You might try spraying it with WD-40 and letting it sit for a while. It will probably get into the rust spots and then you can wipe it off, if it is not deep.
A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work, very well. Flitz polish works.

After you get the rust off, coat your blade with some Vaseline lightly.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Thanks. If I try to force more of a patina over it is there a chance that the corrosion will spread? Or will it just sit as is?
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

It should be fine once you force the patina, I cut a lot of fruit with my user SB's and just let that nice blue/purple patina develop, I love the way these SB's look after they get some nice patina.

here is some nice blue developing on my user delica:

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bpahk

Post by bpahk »

Nice. I always wanted that kind of shimmery blue patina to develop. Mine seems to just uniformly darken. Maybe I need to cut more fruit.
I think I'll try buffing out with some combination of polish and wd40 then start from scratch forcing a new patina.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

You can strop off the rust, just use any ol leather and that green compound and it will come off without damaging the inscription, the patina will come off as well.

and don't force a patina, just allow the blade to patina naturally. Forcing patinas is a fad that has no practical meaning and if anything can over-develop rust on your blade to the point of real damage. Just use, clean the blade and let the patina come in naturally.
tripscheck'em

Post by tripscheck'em »

bpahk wrote:Thanks. If I try to force more of a patina over it is there a chance that the corrosion will spread? Or will it just sit as is?
Yes, it will spread, and forcing patinas risks developing deep rust that can no longer be easily removed and then must be directly ground out of the steel. Its purely a fad.