Had to share

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Had to share

Post by The Deacon »

As usual, I did my grocery shopping this morning to take advantage of the 5% senior citizen discount on Wednesdays. Walked out of store and spied a young person walking toward it. No single element of his appearance, taken by itself, would have been odd. However, the sum total of them had me fighting back an almost uncontrollable urge to bust a gut laughing. Granted, I'm not the most tolerant or open minded person in the world, but still...

Camo Crocs, ok, Crocs are fairly popular down here as is camo just about anything.

Yellow socks. Bright, almost electric yellow socks. With loafers or deck shoes, they might fly. With camo Crocs, not so much.

Shorts, "board shorts" I think, but definitely multi color striped shorts.

Semi-transparent white, dress type, short sleeve shirt, tucked into the shorts.

And then there was the head. Black hair, Hitler haircut, "Highway Patrol" style mirrored aviator sunglasses, and a metal object with balls about the size of the one in a Poliwog on each side stuck through his septum. All this, plus an overall pasty whiteness that made one wonder if he was seeing sunlight for the first time this year.

I was tempted to ask if this was some sort of initiation, or if he'd lost some kind of a bet, but knew I'd never be able to do it with a straight face. So I just bit my tongue and managed to contain myself until he was in the store. Bear had to put up with occasional fits of hysterical laughter for the entire trip home.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Malfeasant

Re: Had to share

Post by Malfeasant »

Hahahahaha strange times we live in indeed.
Last edited by Malfeasant on Wed May 25, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
paladin

Post by paladin »

The Deacon wrote: Bear had to put up with occasional fits of hysterical laughter for the entire trip home.
poor Bear... :(

bet he wondered if his master had gotten into the catnip patch :p
camporama

Post by camporama »

Nooo! He had just broken every rule of the unwritten dress code. Someone call the dress code police!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I was young, once, and cool. We had out style of dress. But, some of the things people wear today would have gotten us beaten up when I was a kid. It is beyond ridiculous.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can look back on the crap I wore when I was a teen and it's no surprise people tried to pick on me, I was a huge dork. But, I respect people who do their own thing even if I think they look like an idiot...actually especially when I (and probably everyone else) think they look like an idiot. The world is too full of sheep and people should do their own thing no matter how stupid it looks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

.......and the beat goes on!!!! :cool: John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Good story, Paul. I always enjoy seeing people who walk to the beat of a different drummer. :D

A lot of folks around here in NE Indiana simply dress in camo four seasons a year. Duck Dynasty apparel is also *very* popular here. We usually don't see a lot of unusuallying dressed people--unless we head down to Ft. Wayne or over to Chicago. Oy vey. :eek: :D Good times.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Evil D wrote:I can look back on the crap I wore when I was a teen and it's no surprise people tried to pick on me, I was a huge dork. But, I respect people who do their own thing even if I think they look like an idiot...actually especially when I (and probably everyone else) think they look like an idiot. The world is too full of sheep and people should do their own thing no matter how stupid it looks.
I really didn't want to pile on here, but now I can't help it. I so totally agree with the above! :)

If others are judging, I'm sure I sometimes come across as dressing kinda zany kooky. I like to think I dress avant garde, vintage, chic, siren, fun, happy. In the fashion world it's actually appreciated. And I'm told I get away with it because I own it, it's sort of my signature style and I wear it with confidence. Confidence is key in fashion. And in just being happy. :)

Saying all that, the kookiest, weirdest, most judged part of my "unique" outfits is now definitely ..... My Knife! My foliage green Dragonfly2! Oddly enough, that is what people are actually not one bit shy about critiquing, pretending to be oh so shocked by or actually saying they find really sexy. Being different, violating the dressing norm, doesn't make someone weird. Or does it? Whatevs....I gotta be me. :eek:
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe