Big Slip-It

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieJay

Big Slip-It

Post by SpydieJay »

Here in NYC, the length law is under (but not including) 4". Yes, that's the official law on the books if you are law abiding. However, the powers that be can make trouble for you by calling ANY knife than can be opened by holding the blade (not the handle) and flicking it, a gravity knife - if it locks. (Also, no part of the knife or clip can be exposed or your 'menacing'.) That is the reason Slip-Its are a safe bet for the city. I would like to see a 3 7/8" Slip-It like the PITS with even more resistance to closure. City knife problems solved.
Miss Dragonfly

Re: Big Slip-It

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

That's a good idea. Seems to qualify to the letter of the law. :)

When I go down to NYC I still sometimes carry my DFly, usually hidden though. Maybe I'm naive about this, but I don't think cops there even care unless you're stirring up trouble or wielding it about. I think it's the non-threatening size of the DFly that makes it less problematic. A Military or bigger, that I just wouldn't risk.

Also, once you have a knife that locks up solid, it's tough to give that up. At least that's my feeling. :)
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You might be able to tighten the pivot down on a PITS and get it to stay shut, but probably never as strong as a true slip joint. The problem is the larger the knife, the larger and heavier the handle, and the heavier the handle is the easier it'll be to gravity drop the handle open. I can't get my Opinel 10 to drop open but the handle on that weighs almost nothing and it's a Military sized knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I had asked Sal before if a larger Pingo would be of interest and he said probably not. I would love to see a Pingo at 3+ inches and of course more snap on the back spring would be encouraged
skeletor

Post by skeletor »

I would appreciate a greater variety of Spyderco Slip-Its, not only bigger ones, but also more high-end-models like the PITS, the Terzuola SlipIt or the UKPK Ti. The evolution in knife-laws all over the world tends to become more restrictive. Already at the moment there are vast parts of Europe, Asia and also cities in the US, which allow only non-locking knives, so the market for (safer-to-use Spyderco-) Slipjoints will continuously increase in the future.
Miss Dragonfly wrote:That's a good idea. Seems to qualify to the letter of the law. :)

When I go down to NYC I still sometimes carry my DFly, usually hidden though. Maybe I'm naive about this, but I don't think cops there even care unless you're stirring up trouble or wielding it about. I think it's the non-threatening size of the DFly that makes it less problematic. A Military or bigger, that I just wouldn't risk.

Also, once you have a knife that locks up solid, it's tough to give that up. At least that's my feeling. :)
In some countries, including UK, carrying a forbidden knife can bring you into jail - so not everyone is ready to take that risk.
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

Evil D wrote:You might be able to tighten the pivot down on a PITS and get it to stay shut, but probably never as strong as a true slip joint. The problem is the larger the knife, the larger and heavier the handle, and the heavier the handle is the easier it'll be to gravity drop the handle open. I can't get my Opinel 10 to drop open but the handle on that weighs almost nothing and it's a Military sized knife.
Did you mean a true "Clip-It"? If not, I guess the PITS is easier to close than my three UK Slip-Its (G10 II, CF, and Ti) from what you say. I wouldn't know, since a Forum member once said they have a stronger 'stay-open' feature than the UK knives and I have never held a PITS. That's why I used it as an example, instead of the UK.

Also, it doesn't matter if you can gravity-drop a Slip-It by its handle, so it doesn't matter if it the handle is made of lead and weighs a pound. The law is quite specific that a gravity knife by any interpretation (including dropping the handle while holding the blade) is only one if it LOCKS, defined by a locking release mechanism. I'd take a 3 3/4" to 3 13/16" long blade with a more robust UK slip-it stay-open feature, just to stay well under 4", but that would still not be illegal to carry in NYC, if you aren't doing anything wrong with it and don't expose it. But it may also not be PC for Spyderco to make such a knife.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

A slipit Endura with a bobbed Janich style blade
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpydieJay wrote:
Evil D wrote:You might be able to tighten the pivot down on a PITS and get it to stay shut, but probably never as strong as a true slip joint. The problem is the larger the knife, the larger and heavier the handle, and the heavier the handle is the easier it'll be to gravity drop the handle open. I can't get my Opinel 10 to drop open but the handle on that weighs almost nothing and it's a Military sized knife.
Did you mean a true "Clip-It"? If not, I guess the PITS is easier to close than my three UK Slip-Its (G10 II, CF, and Ti) from what you say. I wouldn't know, since a Forum member once said they have a stronger 'stay-open' feature than the UK knives and I have never held a PITS. That's why I used it as an example, instead of the UK.

Also, it doesn't matter if you can gravity-drop a Slip-It by its handle, so it doesn't matter if it the handle is made of lead and weighs a pound. The law is quite specific that a gravity knife by any interpretation (including dropping the handle while holding the blade) is only one if it LOCKS, defined by a locking release mechanism. I'd take a 3 3/4" to 3 13/16" long blade with a more robust UK slip-it stay-open feature, just to stay well under 4", but that would still not be illegal to carry in NYC, if you aren't doing anything wrong with it and don't expose it. But it may also not be PC for Spyderco to make such a knife.
I meant a traditional slip joint knife that has no lock. They tend to have a very strong spring that holds the blade open, which in turn creates a very strong close bias which makes them more difficult to flick open while holding the blade. As you pointed out though it really doesn't matter as long as there isn't a lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

You know the DKPK is basically a shrunken Caly 3.5 with no thumb hole, that design as a 3.5 inch blade would be slipitastic
SpydieJay

Post by SpydieJay »

twinboysdad wrote:You know the DKPK is basically a shrunken Caly 3.5 with no thumb hole, that design as a 3.5 inch blade would be slipitastic
Yes, I did, thanks. But I would want it 3.5" or larger up to 3 7/8" with the thumb hole. Of course a little more tension of the slip-it would be nice too. Sal hasn't chimed in yet on this possibility, maybe for the reason I mentioned above.

JDG