The Manix XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bh49

Re: The Manix XL

Post by bh49 »

I like this beast of the knife. I own one, but never carry. It is too big for my today needs, but you never know your future :)
Still kicking myself in nuts for not buying original Manix.
DutchBlades wrote:I don't carry it as a main EDC blade seeing how people in the Netherlands aren't that used to people carrying blades.
If I whip out a regular Manix, people are already in a state of semi-shock...
But it does get carried a lot when staying indoors or outside of public places when I don't have a smaller backup :)
Gotta love a beefy blade! :D

The best looking XL, which I ever saw. Thank you for sharing.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

bh49 wrote:The best looking XL, which I ever saw. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words! :D
I love the look of burl and the XL provides handle scales large enough to showcase it in the perfect way!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

DutchBlades wrote:
bh49 wrote:The best looking XL, which I ever saw. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words! :D
I love the look of burl and the XL provides handle scales large enough to showcase it in the perfect way!
I agree. Gorgeous! :) Can't imagine the oohs, ahhs and WOWs :eek: that stunner gets when you take it out!

So much natural, timeless beauty in wood, I think. Can't think of any Spydercos that come from the factory with wood handles. Not as grippy and indestructible as G10, I imagine. Wood is way prettier than FRN on its best day. :p
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Miss Dragonfly wrote:I agree. Gorgeous! :) Can't imagine the oohs, ahhs and WOWs :eek: that stunner gets when you take it out!

So much natural, timeless beauty in wood, I think. Can't think of any Spydercos that come from the factory with wood handles. Not as grippy and indestructible as G10, I imagine. Wood is way prettier than FRN on its best day. :p
Thanks!
Despite it's size, non-knife people do seem to like it because of it's looks :)
Wood truly is timeless and will always be one of my favorite materials for knife handles.
The only Spydies with wood I can think of on the top of my head are the Sage 4 and the Kopa with Cocobolo wood.
Both amazing looking knives! I still have to score myself a Sage 4 :p

As far as I know some Spyderkeys also came in wood. Cocobolo amongst others.
And then there is the wooden Dragonfly kit and the box in which the WTC D'allara came, but those don't really count :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Bile Bob

Post by Bile Bob »

bdblue wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:I hope they do a S110V Manix Xl version.
There are lots of the S90V version around. It is almost impossible to tell any difference between S90V and S110V, and you can buy the S90V right now and be enjoying it.
You make it sound like they are growing on trees. Didn't those sell out 2 or 3 years ago? The only ones I see are on the big auction site and those aint cheap.

People ask for different blade steel versions of knives all the time around here. Its even happened here in this thread.

I'd be down for a s110v XL Manix. Bring it on.
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Love those grips, what are they?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Bile Bob wrote:You make it sound like they are growing on trees. Didn't those sell out 2 or 3 years ago? The only ones I see are on the big auction site and those aint cheap.

People ask for different blade steel versions of knives all the time around here. Its even happened here in this thread.

I'd be down for a s110v XL Manix. Bring it on.

They did sell out but there are lots of sale on BF, you don't have to deal with auctions, and they are frequently for sale for less than the original price. They are still relatively expensive but they are a premium knife. The best information we have is that Spyderco will eventually produce the XL in S110V/blurple G10. However the WHEN is a question. They produced the PM2 in S110V and it was substantially more expensive than the S30V version, plus being somewhat difficult to get. Since that production run sold out they are very difficult to get. The XL with S110V would likely be more expensive than the PM2 because of its size. So it is getting close to the price of the S90V XL which is a premium knife with CF scales instead of G10. No doubt the blurple XL would be a little less but if you wanted one now it would be worth the price difference to get it now and get to enjoy it.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

CascadianAaron wrote:My main field knife, it gets used. No safe queen here

How exactly did you tighten the screws on that pocket clip? Upon first glance it looks like they would be hard to access (at least the 2 of them)....

Thanks
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm glad to see there's so much love for the XL. I still have to say that it's my favorite platform even though I've been carrying my Millies more the last year or so. I've been thinking that the XL is long overdue for a sprint or exclusive and have been thinking of starting a thread about that. I would have thought that it was due for Cruwear and gray G-10, but I expect that it will show up in Blurple and S110V first. That might just be what it takes for me to try that combination :cool: Since the XL doesn't seem to be as universal a seller as the Millie, the S110V might delay the next sprint or exclusive and Cruwear may go out of fashion by then. I think 52100 would be a good choice, but there may have to be some long term reports on the 52100 Millie tbefore that decision can be made.

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thank you Eric Glesser :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'd be 1000% in for an AEB-L sprint Manix XL.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tvenuto wrote:I'd be 1000% in for an AEB-L sprint Manix XL.
Yes. That really would be awesome...
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Recently traded into the S90V CF exclusive and must say its one fine knife, before the only other XL's I have are a couple of the EDC forum exclusives (which are very nice also). I remember when the S90V CF dropped and passing it up thinking it was too big, boy was that a mistake. As far as a sprint goes, I'm with Doug, a cruwear with tan G10 would be awesome, I'd grab one for sure.

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My only Manix is the Cruwear Manix2 and I would definitely have to buy a Cruwear Manix2XL. I love that steel.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cruwear would be off the chain for this knife.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

farnorthdan wrote:Recently traded into the S90V CF exclusive and must say its one fine knife, before the only other XL's I have are a couple of the EDC forum exclusives (which are very nice also). I remember when the S90V CF dropped and passing it up thinking it was too big, boy was that a mistake. As far as a sprint goes, I'm with Doug, a cruwear with tan G10 would be awesome, I'd grab one for sure.
I'd much rather have tan too, but I figured they'd go ahead and make it in gray like the Millie & Manix. I just hope they forget to put those crosshatches in the G-10 :p I've sort of learned to like the gray since some of my favorite knives are in it -- the SB Caly's for example.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:I like this beast of the knife. I own one, but never carry. It is too big for my today needs, but you never know your future :)
Still kicking myself in nuts for not buying original Manix.
You could buy this one and give them a rest :D :rolleyes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-C95GPF ... 2508728148?
...or do I remember you saying you didn't like foliage green?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

you are correct. I passed on this sprint because I totally hate foliage green
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
rennet

Post by rennet »

Thanks for this thread, it's reminded me to clean up my S90V XL. I don't carry it as much as I ought to.

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

bh49 wrote:you are correct. I passed on this sprint because I totally hate foliage green
It's strange how the black ones seem even rarer than the foliage green. I can find 2 FG and 0 black on the large bidding site. I suspect you'd tell me that's because the black ones are much better :D