New to knives, but found Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tdog

Re: New to knives, but found Spyderco

Post by Tdog »

Hey Malfeasant. don't feel left out. We'll be glad to enable your Spyderco addiction as well. :D Welcome
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Regarding the Sharpmaker, check out the instructional videos on Youtube. The second part (of four) cut's to the chase, so that's the one to watch first to understand what it's all about ... https://youtu.be/fP9Uc3ZM24Y
---------
Tony S
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Malfeasant wrote:Thanks, guys. I felt welcome when I came, everyone is very cool here. Not like most forums. I plan to stick around if people can put up with me.. :D Feel like a child now trying to get attention.. I'll never grow up!
Welcome to the forum Malfeasant....you big baby! :p Hey, what part of Louisiana are you in? I grew up there in North La.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

G'day ryguy76

I'm new to Spyderco knives and the forum also. My madness started three weeks ago with a Manbug SuperBlue. I reckoned it was the biggest little knife I'd ever seen. The flat grind is beautiful and dead centre of the laminated blade. It's as sharp if not sharper than any knife I've ever taken out of a box, though the grind is a little wavy and a little uneven at each side of the ricasso. Nothing I can't fix and I really like the knife, a lot!

It seemed only logical I buy another one in ZDP'. This one is even better. So I ordered a Stretch ZDP' (waiting) and everyone seems to like the Delica so I bought one (HAP40). I've used a Lansky and a few Spyderco ceramic stones on knives and ceramic files on guns for a decade or more so I ordered a Sharpmaker and a couple of diamond rods, and a couple of UF rods. The Paramilitary 2, S110V looked really nice and the Blurple G10 seems unique so I ordered that too (back order). So now I wait with bated breath!

Today a set of Wiha Torx drivers arrived and now the pivots on my meagre collection are adjusted to perfection! Ah, ha ha ha! I'm loving it, but I'm starting to worry about my beloved wife, she asks silly questions sometimes. A couple of days ago she asked "How many knives does one man need?" Strange, ay?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Spyderco is all about bending perceptions with the knives. The bigger knives carry and handle smaller, and then the smaller knives often perform like a bigger knife. I think that may be why the PM2 and DF2 are so popular.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Malfeasant

Post by Malfeasant »

Surfingringo wrote:
Malfeasant wrote:Thanks, guys. I felt welcome when I came, everyone is very cool here. Not like most forums. I plan to stick around if people can put up with me.. :D Feel like a child now trying to get attention.. I'll never grow up!
Welcome to the forum Malfeasant....you big baby! :p Hey, what part of Louisiana are you in? I grew up there in North La.
Thanks Ringo, I'm from Marrero near N.O. now I live near New Roads which is West Baton Rouge.
Always been obsessed with knives... Is that some type of disease?
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Malfeasant wrote:
Surfingringo wrote:
Thanks Ringo, I'm from Marrero near N.O. now I live near New Roads which is West Baton Rouge.
I gotcha man. My folks lived in Terrytown before I was born. I lived in BR for 5 years...went to college there back in the day.
ryguy76

Post by ryguy76 »

Oooh! Just picked up the Byrd Crow 2 from my mailbox!

Nice. Arrived very sharp, (much sharper than my Tenacious is after it's first week of use). The fit and finish is comparable to the Tenacious, with blade alignment being slightly better. Perfectly centered when closed, and no play when deployed.

The blade width is CHUNKY! very nice.

Pretty happy with it. :)

My Knives: Paramilitary 2 - Chaparral - Delica FFG - Dragonfly 2 (HAP40) - Tenacious - Crow 2
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Malfeasant wrote:Hey, all this welcoming makes me feel left out. No one welcomed me.. :rolleyes: (cry for attention)
Welcome aboard, Malfeasant. Sorry so late. :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal