Slysz Bowie lovers have a look

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Slysz Bowie lovers have a look

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Good ol Nick Shabazz is at it again and this time he is talking all about the Slysz Bowie. He highlights so many of the little things that make this knife so amazing. Have a look.

https://youtu.be/H7tDfaJPzNE
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
remnar

Re: Slysz Bowie lovers have a look

Post by remnar »

"There is nothing on this knife that is sharp except the **** blade. Which is a beautiful thing."

Nice review Nick. It makes me want one even more.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

It really is pretty much a perfect knife. I should carry mine more.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I wish it had a different edge shape.That belly is too...abrupt.Even so I love mine.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

If I had to part with all of my knives but one, I would keep the Slysz Bowie. Yes.

"it brings me joy"
Last edited by abbazaba on Sat May 21, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Thanks L.C., for an unexpected educational (for me) video. I really did learn a lot.... "a beautiful thing ... brings me joy." :)
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
Studey

Post by Studey »

abbazaba wrote:If I had to part with all of my knives but one, I would keep the Slysz Bowie. Yes.

"it brings me joy"
That's pretty much how I feel as well.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The Slysz Bowie is one of my favorite knives as well despite the fact I rarely carry it. I dislike the blade shape but love the design otherwise so much that I couldn't see parting with it. Would love to see a similar knife with a drop point or modified wharncliff blade shape. Been watching Nick's videos recently and I enjoy them a lot.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Cujobob wrote:The Slysz Bowie is one of my favorite knives as well despite the fact I rarely carry it. I dislike the blade shape but love the design otherwise so much that I couldn't see parting with it. Would love to see a similar knife with a drop point or modified wharncliff blade shape. Been watching Nick's videos recently and I enjoy them a lot.
I think that's the main thing putting me off from it. If it had a lower point, I'd already have one. Looking back, I think that may be one of my
main reasons for selling the Techno.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Cujobob wrote:The Slysz Bowie is one of my favorite knives as well despite the fact I rarely carry it. I dislike the blade shape but love the design otherwise so much that I couldn't see parting with it. Would love to see a similar knife with a drop point or modified wharncliff blade shape. Been watching Nick's videos recently and I enjoy them a lot.
I felt the same way about the blade shape. But, after carrying and using it regularly, I no longer care... This knife is damm near perfect, and the blade works great after coming to terms with how to use it.

That said, I would absolutely buy a version with a different blade shape.
Last edited by abbazaba on Sun May 22, 2016 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Double tap
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

A GB2 blade in it would have made it even better. Blade shape is the only thing I'd change on it (and the left hand clip option)

Still very sweet though:
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

If I were to forced to choose only one...

This.

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Sweet mod. I've only altered the spine a bit and thinned out the grind towards the tip on mine.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

elena86 wrote:I wish it had a different edge shape.That belly is too...abrupt.Even so I love mine.
Yes sir, what you said. And that feature makes it a bit difficult to use the tip of scoring and other detail work. Also makes it a bit less functional at piercing tasks. I handled the Bowie last year at the SFO and it was probably the nicest knife I handled all day. It was the very feature that you mention that kept me from walking out of there with one. It is not a "bad" feature...just one that makes the knife slightly less than perfect for me. I still think its a great design though.
LC Kid

Slysz Bowie Rules!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

Awesome vid, Cobra. Certainly is the first one that reviews one by one every little big detail of such fantastic knife. :spyder:

When you put that lot of little wonders together the result is just sublime. :)

Actually you just need to hold the Slysz Bowie for like 5 seconds to realize how well made it is, and the pure breed Very High End Cutlery it is made of. :cool:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

A good video, pointing out some things that I hadn't noticed about the knife. Also, as many details as he mentioned, there are so many more he didn't. The execution on this knife is out of this world. For example, on mine, the lockbar takes absolutely no force to disengage, and does not feel like it's touching the blade tang at all, however the lock-up is absolutely rock solid. I'm not exactly sure how these things coexist, but they do.

However, I'm surprised he didn't mention the pocket catching issue that the lockbar cut-out causes. Far from being a subtle detail, it's noticeable the very first time you draw it from your pocket. Also, I don't even think it's a matter of preference, having the cutout hit right where the pocket clip does is wrong, and should be corrected with a different clip length. It's the one blemish on this otherwise flawless design. I also actually prefer a spydie hole with crisp edges, but I'll admit that that's a preference.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Tony, don't forget this thread on the easy-ish fix for the Slysz Bowie pocket clip:

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=67908

Did you end up getting a Foundry clip for it? I actually just bought another yesterday from the SFO coincidentally enough!

Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea way ahead of you on that, already have one etched and attached! Thanks for the offer, though.

It's good that it can be fixed relatively easily, and as I said it's the sole blemish on this phenomenal design. Again, I was surprised that he goes into such detail without mentioning that aspect, especially while talking about the cutout specifically. I just think it's fair to mention the bad with the good, and it's what makes a review different from just random praise.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

To me the blade is crying out for a swedge. It would look much better. And I'd probably own one!