Your "odd" hobbies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: Your "odd" hobbies?

Post by Evil D »

harronek wrote:I posted earlier about how Spyderco had killed off my leather sheath making hobby with their excellent pocket clips .
Well a friend of my wife's is having a birthday soon so I decided to kick start my hobby again to make her a SAK sheath to clip inside her purse .

Ken

Ken that's beautiful work. I'd like something like that for my Higonokami. I've been toying around making my own sheaths with cheap leather kits from hobby shops but I'd like one with a pocket clip that will function just like a Spyderco would and clip in my pocket the same way but allow me to draw and resheath my Higo without removing the sheath.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

demoncase wrote:
spyderg wrote:
demoncase wrote:Does airsoft count as odd?....Buncha grown men, playing dress up and shooting toy guns at each other...Yeah, we're odd :)
I play airsoft too! Haven't started our season here yet though, soon...
We play year round in the UK.... Here's me Namming it :D
I airsoft as well! I usually only play with 2 gas/C02 pistols, a tshirt and cargo pants though. Not really a milsim player persay. Airsoft is a great sport though! It always makes for a fun weekend!

Aside from airsoft, I have an unnatural addiction to TES: Skyrim. Within the game, I collect precious gems. I have hundreds of each type. I collect lighters too, which isnt too odd. I also collect knife boxes which isn't odd here in the land of knives. I save all my old phones and devices after I upgrade them and keep their boxes as well. I also collect headphones. I listen to music a lot but for some reason I just like having a bunch of headphones (specifically earbuds) around. Thats pretty much the just of my "odd" hobbies, even if they're more like just a bit off :p
harronek

Post by harronek »

Evil D wrote:
harronek wrote:I posted earlier about how Spyderco had killed off my leather sheath making hobby with their excellent pocket clips .
Well a friend of my wife's is having a birthday soon so I decided to kick start my hobby again to make her a SAK sheath to clip inside her purse .

Ken

Ken that's beautiful work. I'd like something like that for my Higonokami. I've been toying around making my own sheaths with cheap leather kits from hobby shops but I'd like one with a pocket clip that will function just like a Spyderco would and clip in my pocket the same way but allow me to draw and resheath my Higo without removing the sheath.
Leatherwork is surprisingly easy , and cheap to get started .
I make mine sitting at the kitchen table or in front of the TV .
My advice is to buy the best leather you can get , the other tools and gear are secondary .
Most of the issues newbies have with their first attempts have nothing to do with their abilities , its the leather they are working with .
If I can help or advise you in anyway to make that sheath let me know .

Ken
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Ken
That looks great!
Been thinking of making a sheath for the Kiwi since mine didn't come with the pouch. The clip is definitely a great idea! :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Got the doors & drawer faces installed. Slowly getting there on the build.

remnar

Post by remnar »

demoncase wrote:
spyderg wrote:
demoncase wrote:Does airsoft count as odd?....Buncha grown men, playing dress up and shooting toy guns at each other...Yeah, we're odd :)
I play airsoft too! Haven't started our season here yet though, soon...
We play year round in the UK.... Here's me Namming it :D
No airsoft, but I do enjoy picking up some extra bruises in a good game of paintball. :D I don't play as much as I'd like. :(

tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

harronek wrote:Leatherwork is surprisingly easy , and cheap to get started .
I make mine sitting at the kitchen table or in front of the TV .
My advice is to buy the best leather you can get , the other tools and gear are secondary .
Most of the issues newbies have with their first attempts have nothing to do with their abilities , its the leather they are working with .
If I can help or advise you in anyway to make that sheath let me know .

Ken
Agreed. I also work with leather as a hobby, and learned everything I know from youtube. You're 100% right about the leather quality. My first few attempts looked nothing like what I was trying to emulate. Once I finally got some high quality leather, the final product improved immensely.
cjcutter

Post by cjcutter »

Knives,guns,flashlights,boots,cowboy hats,shooting,hunting,hiking,fishing,working,my dog,tv-Internet,living. I'm pretty boring the way I like it. I do like to look at menus and eat candy,that may be considered odd.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Combining the oddness of cosplay and airsoft is double-meta-oddness, I'm sure:...Here's me- pretending to be Commissar Gaunt, as part of the glorious Imperium Of Man.
(apologies for anyone who doesn't know about Warhammer 40,000 :))

Delivering glory to the Golden Throne yesterday!
The Commissar is watching
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Sounds like the modern equivalent of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), so pretty odd... but probably lots of fun!

Mine isn't terribly odd, but collecting, using and restoring fountain pens isn't exactly mainstream, neither is turning handles for and assembling shaving brushes for that matter...

OK, just saw the 40k reference post... are you a tabletop RPGer or is there an MMORPG of Warhammer now?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

awa54 wrote:
Sounds like the modern equivalent of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), so pretty odd... but probably lots of fun!

Mine isn't terribly odd, but collecting, using and restoring fountain pens isn't exactly mainstream, neither is turning handles for and assembling shaving brushes for that matter...

OK, just saw the 40k reference post... are you a tabletop RPGer or is there an MMORPG of Warhammer now?
I was a tabletop game- my army of Eldar Harelquins would regularly get steamrolled by the glorious Empire ;)

There's a couple of RTS games from the 40k stable, plus a rather fun-if-brain-out Hack'n'slash 3rd person shooter called Space Marine on the Xbox.
There's a bunch of short teasers for a Space Hulk online game doing the rounds, plus an Inquisitor game too.

Most folks in who airsoft go with the modern kit- chest rigs, be-railed M4s, magpul and so on.....I'm in the narrow end of the distribution curve when it comes to gear set up :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Is that a combat cummerbund???

The friend who ran 40k for us had his own quasi-medieval campaign world set up, so I have only had a casual brush with the game and novel series canon. Great get up though, any way you look at it!
-David

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

awa54 wrote:Is that a combat cummerbund???

The friend who ran 40k for us had his own quasi-medieval campaign world set up, so I have only had a casual brush with the game and novel series canon. Great get up though, any way you look at it!
That is a scarlet Imperial Guard officer's sash, sir.....and definitely not a crimson pashmina scarf I bought on eBay for less than the price of a Starbucks Coffee

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

My odd hobby would probably be fox whistling around Sydney. I can hunt anytime I like and keep my hand in, between real hunts and I generally don't need to travel more than 5-20km from home and I've whistled a few within a short walk. Obviously I can't carry a gun around Sydney, but there's no shortage of foxes!

Most won't believe me, but true as I type and within 15km from home, I whistled eleven foxes and a feral dog one afternoon a couple of years ago. I whistled six one evening at the local racecourse and I even took beloved wife with me one sunny afternoon and whistled up a pair for her, but they wouldn't come in too close and hung at about 20 metres cause I don't think they liked her perfume? :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote:My odd hobby would probably be fox whistling around Sydney. I can hunt anytime I like and keep my hand in, between real hunts and I generally don't need to travel more than 5-20km from home and I've whistled a few within a short walk. Obviously I can't carry a gun around Sydney, but there's no shortage of foxes!

Most won't believe me, but true as I type and within 15km from home, I whistled eleven foxes and a feral dog one afternoon a couple of years ago. I whistled six one evening at the local racecourse and I even took beloved wife with me one sunny afternoon and whistled up a pair for her, but they wouldn't come in too close and hung at about 20 metres cause I don't think they liked her perfume? :eek:
Is that an Australia only pursuit? I had never heard of it before and all the vids on fox whistling are from Australia. I'd assume that both the foxes and rabbits are encouraged to be taken at any opportunity?

Are air guns used for actual hunting, or mostly small caliber firearms?
-David

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

One non-knife thing I am into collecting are pens, writing pens. Not the really expensive glitzy ones, though there is definitely a market and desire for that, but just all sorts of interesting and unusual writing pens, not pencils so much, though mechanical pencils are interesting and very useful. Pens with advertising company names on them and that have unique features and activating mechanisms, especially.

Also old metal tins and containers for such things as breath mints and such. A whole lot of different variations on those.

I also like anachronistic fiction stories: Science fiction and fantasy stories with items, things, technologies, and objects that are not normal to that time-frame. An example would be a Medieval adventure story where the characters somehow come upon a collection of Spyderco knives and put them to use in the adventure, that kind of strange but interesting thing.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

awa54 wrote:
Bloke wrote:My odd hobby would probably be fox whistling around Sydney. I can hunt anytime I like and keep my hand in, between real hunts and I generally don't need to travel more than 5-20km from home and I've whistled a few within a short walk. Obviously I can't carry a gun around Sydney, but there's no shortage of foxes!

Is that an Australia only pursuit? I had never heard of it before and all the vids on fox whistling are from Australia. I'd assume that both the foxes and rabbits are encouraged to be taken at any opportunity?

Are air guns used for actual hunting, or mostly small caliber firearms?
I'm pretty sure the Aussie's started it with the Tenterfield Whistle, but the English whistle too!

It's highly productive and we'll often shoot half a dozen in a leisurely afternoon. There is no restrictions on shooting ferals. You can shoot day or night by any means.

Air rifles general don't have the energy to clean kill rabbits or foxes. I use to use a .22LR on both and still do on rabbits but, it doesn't leave much margin for error on a moving fox. My favourite fox rifle is a CZ 527 in .222Rem with a 55gr Nosler Shot sitting in a case full of Trail Boss powder. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Bloke wrote: I'm pretty sure the Aussie's started it with the Tenterfield Whistle, but the English whistle too!

It's highly productive and we'll often shoot half a dozen in a leisurely afternoon. There is no restrictions on shooting ferals. You can shoot day or night by any means.

Air rifles general don't have the energy to clean kill rabbits or foxes. I use to use a .22LR on both and still do on rabbits but, it doesn't leave much margin for error on a moving fox. My favourite fox rifle is a CZ 527 in .222Rem with a 55gr Nosler Shot sitting in a case full of Trail Boss powder. :eek:
Hmm, there are many folks who take rabbit and smaller game with .177 springers at 16 or 17 foot pounds of muzzle energy, I'd think that a head shot with that would stop a fox, but getting a reliably humane kill that way on a moving target would be some pretty outstanding marksmanship... there are PCP airguns that would easily be up to the task of a vitals shot kill at 50 meters or less, but they're more expensive than a "real" firearm for the most part.

How restrictive is Australian law regarding long guns, and how hard/easy is it to get .22LR ammo? I have a CZ452 in .22 that I *would* shoot lots, but .22 ammo is stupid expensive in the US compared to what it used to be ten years ago :(
-David

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

ah...... besides Guns, Knives and Martial Arts (if that's not odd enough)...Ok nobody repeats what they seen here!
Would you believe....Petty-point, then there's Pen and Ink drawings, but I don't use a pen....I use sharpened chopsticks and dip them in colored ink.....Then there's my Siamese Fighting Betta Fish (10 Tanks -Ten Fish) ....oh I almost forgot I also enjoy knocking squirrels out of tree's hauling acorns at them....maybe that's not so odd...maybe just nuts....maybe fit the sporting category instead of hobby.....Doc:)

FWIW: I'm not allowed to play those airsoft games anymore.....just because I hide behind trees and garroted people doesn't mean they shouldn't let me play!!!..... :mad:
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Let's see.....guns, knives, blacksmithing, rebuilding tanks/tracked vehicles/artillery pieces for museums, collecting and restoring cast iron cookware, one time competitive chili and BBQ cook, appraiser of old arms and armor.....that's just a portion of my hobbies. Many of them are currently restricted by my health issues.