The Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: The Sal

Post by araneae »

BTG wrote:
araneae wrote:I'm pretty sure the manbug was designed as his pet project, although now that i think about it, it doesn't have his signature.
I'm not really sure when the Manbug was designed, only been a spyder nut for about 3 years, but I thought I saw somewhere on this forum that Sal didn't put a makers mark on his designs until Eric also started designing...it was assumed Sals unless a collaboration until that point.
It is a fairly recent design.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Mikael Andersson

Post by Mikael Andersson »

I don't know what he likes but how about a 4.75'' knife with a fixed blade with a grip in a very reddish coco-bolo shaped like a horse head.

And with a full tang of course and in M390 or 204P.

Here is a link to the steel in question: https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prod ... m4hch.html
Last edited by Mikael Andersson on Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Something that is not too short and not too long as the blade length goes and has an all-purposeness to it. It would feature some design features of the original Spyderco knives, like a combination of the Worker and the Mariner, perhaps with H1 Stainless Steel for corrosion-resistance, or VG-10 Stainless. I would also have the handle be made of stainless steel and have the blade and handle have some laser-etched permanent imprint with Spyderco Anniversary data and, to add icing on the cake, have some form of laser-formed/laser-cut outline image of Sal's silhouette on the knife.
SpyderMule

Post by SpyderMule »

DutchBlades wrote:The Spyderco Worker II.

To this day it's a design with a lot of potential.
A new and improved version with different bladesteel, maybe a little bit larger, fine tuned ergo's and a fancy handle material. Ti bolsters with ironwood/burl or something :)

Agreed.

It should have 'predominant' DNA of his very first production (here's mine with closely-inset 2-screw clip and no lanyard hole - the very first production Spydie model from the '81 Texas State Fair!)…

Sid
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DutchBlades wrote:The Spyderco Worker II.

To this day it's a design with a lot of potential.
A new and improved version with different bladesteel, maybe a little bit larger, fine tuned ergo's and a fancy handle material. Ti bolsters with ironwood/burl or something :)
As long as Ti bolsters will not have screws I will be interested in this knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ManekUEMF

Post by ManekUEMF »

I would give Sal a dual blade folder with an Endura and Delica blade.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The Sal:

-A mid-lockback
-Hollow sabre grind, or FFG instead
-Military/Police style clip point, or Caly style leafshaped blade if the FFG option is chosen
-Swedge, but only for the hollow ground clip point option. Like on the Police, Rookie, Worker
-Thumb ramp
-50/50 Choil? (maybe)
-3-4" blade length. Ideally 3.5-3.75"
-Handle material is open for discussion. I'd love for the handle to be stainless, nothing is as classically Spyderco in my opinion. But if it a knife to really honor Sal, something a bit fancier wouldn't be bad. Stag scales and a brushed stainless/Ti bolster perhaps.
-Blade steel? If the knife ends up being utilitarian VG-10, but if we go the dressed up route damascus of some sort.

This just ends up sounding like a description of many already existing Spyderco designs, so perhaps its too redundant.
Last edited by Able Dog on Sat May 21, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know him personally but reading so many posts over the years makes me think the gesture while appreciated is not something he would do. Certainly an honorable guy who is more into paying it forward than cashing his own self-gratifying checks.

Still...I adore those mock-ups. Put ANY blade in a Stretch FRN handle and I'll throw cash at it. :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think no matter what it was, you'd have to carry it and work out EVERY issue with it before releasing it.

That PPT/Stretch looks pretty nice.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

I had a thought on this subject. How about Sal's Annual Legacy knife, pick any of Sal's designs and change them up year to year, kind of like a sprint run. Sorry if this idea was mentioned before.
JasonC6612

Post by JasonC6612 »

BTG wrote:
araneae wrote:I'm pretty sure the manbug was designed as his pet project, although now that i think about it, it doesn't have his signature.
I'm not really sure when the Manbug was designed, only been a spyder nut for about 3 years, but I thought I saw somewhere on this forum that Sal didn't put a makers mark on his designs until Eric also started designing...it was assumed Sals unless a collaboration until that point.
However the Cat for example, which Sal has said was his design has no signature mark :(
ヽ(•‿•)ノ
jstrange

Post by jstrange »

SpyderNut wrote:I like this idea. Would this be for a birthday gift for Sal?

As for designs, I'd probably lean toward something Stretch-like, but with a modified blade (as found on the last model at the bottom of tap78's list, below). Maybe add the refined back-lock from the Native5. For blade steel, I'd go with ZDP-189, Super Blue, or even 52100. For handle material, I'd say zirconium bolsters, titanium liners, and African Snakewood scales.
tap78 wrote:I did once a comparison of a different blade shape for stretch...Thats my prototypes created in photoshop...original photo credited to GARY (http://www.garysdigitalphotography.com)

I love the look of the last two and would buy multiples if either design was ever produced!
:spyder: jstrange
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Honoring Sal with "The Sal"?

Oh, you mean the Spydie I happen to be carrying on any given day...

Can't think of a more meaningful way to honor Sal than to buy and use products that flow from his and Eric's imagination.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

How about a Sal(t)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I've already got a bunch-o "Sal's", and I love them. Thank you very much. :D
sal

Post by sal »

There are many designs that I've done that do not have my tag. Mostly since I never got around to it hen I began adding my tag. We're thinking of adding them?

Endura, Delica, Dragonfly, Ladybug, Manbug, Cat, Chicago, Military, Native, etc.

sal
41Mag

Post by 41Mag »

To answer your question Sal......**** yes put your TAG on them!!!!!!!
Ncmiked

Post by Ncmiked »

Tag 'em, Sal!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

A knife to honor Sal? I pick one of his designs and add an image to either the blade or the handle. If the handle perhaps it would be an inlay. If you look at Buck you can get an idea of the possibilities. Image could be of him or his family or the Spyderco crew.
In reference to the mockups of a modified Stretch, I really like the sheepsfoot but I also like the straight clip point like the Para2. I do not like the current blade shape of the Stretch. Sorry.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am thinking a Stretch with a 4" blade might be nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050