Spyderco EDC You Just Can't Go Wrong With

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Re: Spyderco EDC You Just Can't Go Wrong With

Post by murphjd25 »

Impossible!! But...the PM2 and delica see the most pocket time. Both amazing knives.
Josh
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

The Caly 3 is still my go-to perfect knife. It seems like it's only been out of production a short while, but already forgotten.
JT

Post by JT »

JD Spydo wrote:
JT wrote:Any Delica or D-fly.
I do find it interesting that so many of you find the "DRAGONFLY" model ideal for a novice or beginner or someone who rarely ( if ever) uses a folder.

But I must admit that I do find the fanfare for the DRAGONFLY quite interesting. It's giving me second thoughts about lobbying for a DRAGONFLY Hawkbill model.

JD,
maybe because the D-fly is so small and innocent-looking, so people like it. My First Spyderco was a PE SS D-fly too :)
It is office-friendly, and pretty cheap too(frn vg10). Delica is good, if someone is familiar with pocket knives allready, and maybe needs or wants slightly bigger knife. Nothing against Native either, all are good options. I'd like to get my hands on a Rookie myself.

And if you start lobbying for the D-fly hawkbill, I'm there with you JD. We need one! :)
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bdblue wrote:If "can't go wrong with" is the same as "lowest common denominator", then the Delica, Native and Rookie would suffice.
But enthusiasts have additional needs and wants and preferences. Personally these would be way down my list as EDC choices. I prefer a longer blade, 3.5" to 4". I prefer G10 over molded FRN. I prefer just about any lock type over the lockback. So you can guess where that takes us- the PM2 is one of my favorites for EDC.
You make some great points there "bdblue" because most of that coincides with what I'm trying to get across to everyone that encounters "non-knife" people that really would like an EDC folder for everyday use. And I fully realize that the ROOKIE model is in the "disco'd" list but yet it's still one of those Spyderco models that to me just seemed like a perfect folder to give to a friend or relative that has little or no understanding about EDC blades.

And to me the NATIVE & ROOKIE both seem to be perfect "starter" models for any novice or for any beginner with a valid need for an EDC.

I too much prefer a longer blade and I've had a lot of my Brethren here at Spyderville not like the fact that I have no use for all those micro-sized Spyders like the Ladybug & Jester. Because in my daily work the C-36 Military has been close to perfect for my individual needs but I would never recommend it for a newbie. I'm not really hung up over locking systems even though there are some locks I prefer over others but I've never had any of Spyderco's locks ever fail me.

Now I would recommend a PM2 for a guy who has had at least 6 months experience on some of Spyderco's smaller, simpler folders but not to start out with. Because I'm a "safety first" guy all the way.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Delica or one of the value line folders, or Byrd Crow 2 or Raven 2.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
PWork

Post by PWork »

One word...Dragonfly.
Paul
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I specifically carry a native 5 SE for when people ask to borrow a knife. A lot of people are uncomfortable with liner locks. They just can't seem to figure it out so I'll get an open knife back with them saying " I don't know how to close this" . Also i usually have a sprint or out of production knife as my edc so i don't just hand that to anybody. I find the native to be very useful though. Personally i prefer a slightly larger knife 3.5" to about a 5" max for standard edc. I guess i would probably pick a military even though i love my h1 SE spyderhawk and i rarely go anywhere without it. It does have limitations.

I just find the millie would suit most of my needs especially for food.
Miss Dragonfly

Post by Miss Dragonfly »

Dragonfly. You just can't go wrong with perfection! :D
Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.
Marilyn Monroe
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Ladybug and Manbug come to mind, right along with the Dragonfly2. I might also throw the Bradley Air into this mix. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal