Spyderco EDC You Just Can't Go Wrong With

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyderco EDC You Just Can't Go Wrong With

Post by JD Spydo »

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately with all these current threads about so-called perfect EDC blades and blades that each individual deems to be to their ideal specifications. But I want to take a different slant and talk about maybe two models in particular that I just don't believe you can go wrong with.

I have so many non-knife people that either use one of my Spyders and are instantly impressed or they ask me what model they should get for their own EDC when I already know they've never even had an EDC pocket folder before. Also what worries me is to recommend a folder to a novice not knowing what their intentions are.

But there are a couple of Spyderco folders that I just believe that no one can go wrong with. One is the Golden, Colorado, USA Earth "NATIVE" model ( SE or PE). It's blade length is conservative to say the least and it's a design that you can literally use for just about anything you would need from an EDC.

There is also one more model that I've gone on record saying that it's maybe the best conservative EDC folder that Spyderco ever made and it's also about perfect for any novice or non-knife person that I can feel safe recommending and that would be the ROOKIE model. To me both of those models I can feel pretty confident that a novice won't get into any trouble.

So what model(s) of Spyder would you all feel safe recommending to a novice or non-knife person for EDC uses?
abbazaba

Re: Spyderco EDC You Just Can't Go Wrong With

Post by abbazaba »

It's definitely a situational question with 100 answers, but if I can resist rattling off half a dozen options, I think the Dragonfly2 is a perfect first EDC for most non knife people. It's cost/size/weight and non scariness make it and attractive option for people that are not used to carrying a knife, but it still has the utility and feel to impress them.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

+1 to Dragonfly. Other options: Chaparral, Delica, Sage, Native. If they want bigger, Para Military, Manix, Endura. If they live in certain places, Pingo or Roadie.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Sully

Post by Sully »

Delica. Not a little knife. Not a big knife. Great slicer, and great in the pocket. FRN at $65ish is one of the best values Spyderco offers. Pick the color you actually want even. YUp, it's the Spyderco gateway drug....in the good way.

Gotta love that Chap 1 too.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Definitely different for each of us depending on job, clothing styles, etc. But the one Spydie I have carried in everything from swim trunks to a business suit and everything in between has been my trusty PE Delica.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

What do you mean by "conservative" JD ?
Sarge930

Post by Sarge930 »

I have to second the Native5, followed by the sage2 and the dragonfly2.
Native50

Post by Native50 »

Delica 4 FRN.

Although I REALLY am loving my new Manix 2 ... G10 ... yeah, feels GREAT in my hand.

The Delica though is such a kick *** little EDC knife ...

Native 5 is an AWESOME choice as well IMO.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spyderco has so many great choices. Choosing the "perfect" EDC can be difficult. That's how I ended up with so many knives in a relatively short time.

If I was going to make suggestions to a new knife person I would get out the catalog (or have them over to handle each knife) and show them the Delica 4, Native 5, Dragonfly 2, Chaparral, Sage 1 or 2, and maybe the Persistence. I think any one of these knives would make a great starting point without being to threatening to a non knife person.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

One so often overlooked, but perfect for non knife people IMO is the Roadie. Great little EDC and totally non threatening.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, to be honest I don't carry a knife to lend to other people, so I really don't care about impressing or offending someone I may hand my knife to. If I'm in a situation where I think people are going to freak out over the size of my knife, that's why I carry a Ladybug on my keys. Otherwise unless you're stuck with length laws, I would never recommend a knife based on making non knife people happy, I would recommend a companion blade to use around those people. It's just silly to worry about what other people think unless you're at risk of getting I'm trouble with your job or the law, so unless you're forced to use your knife around those people all the time, just carry a smaller innocent looking blade and be smart about when you use the big one.

For those who have no use for a bigger blade, that makes the choice a lot easier (but also less fun IMO). I tend to look at my bigger knifes as my companion blade and my smaller people friendly blade as my main EDC especially if I'm in an environment where I'll be using the smaller blade the most. I also sometimes just carry a knife because I like it and not always because it's the best knife for the job or the best slicer, etc. I carried a Vallotton for about a year straight and it was probably the worst slicer I've ever owned but I loved carrying it anyway.

So, on that note I think the Native is a fine choice. Personally I'd rather carry a duo of knives and have a large and small knife vs. one smallish knife, but the law allows that where I live.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

elena86 wrote:What do you mean by "conservative" JD ?
Oh I guess that's kind of a wide open debate within itself. Well there are a few criteria that I believe you could rate as being "conservative" >> first off the blade length is an issue for many people because a lot of the states here in the USA have very strict blade length laws. Luckily here in Missouri where I live they allow us up to a four inch folder>> which by a lot of standards is a very long blade for an EDC. So by conservative I'm wanting to keep the blade length to about 3 inches or shorter.

I also factor in "safety" for a non-knife person. I would never recommend either my C-36 Military or my C-60 Ayoob model ( which I carry both of them a lot) to a person who is not well trained in knife usage. I also want to see new knife users have a handle they feel comfortable and confident with.

In other words I want them to start out with something safe and easy to use and relatively easy to maintain. On the other hand I would never advise someone who doesn't know knives to get a hawkbill or Reverse S blade until they learn a few things about cutlery. I hope that sums up my outlook on what I deem as "conservative".
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

JT

Post by JT »

Any Delica or D-fly.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Dfly and Delica
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JT wrote:Any Delica or D-fly.
I do find it interesting that so many of you find the "DRAGONFLY" model ideal for a novice or beginner or someone who rarely ( if ever) uses a folder.

I'm kind of surprised that there wasn't much mention of the models in the H-1 Salt Series :confused: The reason I even started this thread is because here where I work I'm having more and more men and women are asking me to use whichever folder I happen to have on me at the time>> then they ask me how much that particular Spyderco model would costs them>> then they will immediately ask me if Spyderco has anything less expensive.

That's why I pretty much have come to think the NATIVE model would be great for men and women both. They do ( or they did at one time) make a pink version for the ladies>> actually my boss got his wife a Pink Native and she loves it and won't let anyone at all borrow it either :rolleyes: :D

The Native (Even the USA made version) is priced right and is one of their most endurable, dependable models. I also like the ROOKIE model for new Spyder converts as well. I truly believe the NATIVE and ROOKIE both are ideal for beginners>> and again I just don't think you can go wrong with either one. Actually both models are truly great for anyone.

But I must admit that I do find the fanfare for the DRAGONFLY quite interesting. It's giving me second thoughts about lobbying for a DRAGONFLY Hawkbill model.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My gal carries a Native (the pink one of course). I got it for her hoping she would take more of an interest in the hobby. She keeps it in her purse, I guess that's a start. She does use it at her job and she likes to show off to the guys how sharp her knife is. She also loves my Dragonflies and carried my PE Dragonfly Salt for a while before I got her the Native.

The Native was my first Spyderco, and to this day there is still something special that I feel about the original lightweight Native that no other knife has ever given me. That knife gave me an initial impression of Spyderco that in a way wasn't really true, and in a weird way I'm let down by that. At the time I came into Spyderco, I don't think there were any other models made like the Native lightweight with a solid one piece FRN handle (aside from the Dragonfly) and I really love the simplicity of that. Maybe that's why I like the Dragonfly so much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Since the Rookie isn't available any longer, what is the closest alternative in the current lineup? I guess the Delica or maybe the Byrd Meadowlark? My brother picked up an frn Meadowlark and it's a pretty nice little blade.

Definitely agree on the Native. I didn't really understand the appeal though until I got my lw, but it "clicked" with me right away. Then I also have to give a big thumbs up to the Chaparral as well :)
:spyder:
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Sorry, dude, but there really is no such thing. The "Top Five Knives that Fit Almost Everyone's Needs" list would be a lot closer to the mark. Or "Four Questions to Ask Someone Who Asks You for a Knife Recommendation."

The Native is a great knife, but isn't everyone's idea of an EDC, and is a non-starter if you need something you can bring into a federal facility with no worries.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

If "can't go wrong with" is the same as "lowest common denominator", then the Delica, Native and Rookie would suffice.
But enthusiasts have additional needs and wants and preferences. Personally these would be way down my list as EDC choices. I prefer a longer blade, 3.5" to 4". I prefer G10 over molded FRN. I prefer just about any lock type over the lockback. So you can guess where that takes us- the PM2 is one of my favorites for EDC.