Cricket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studey

Cricket

Post by Studey »

I'm going to order a Cricket. I want serrated, right? I normally prefer PE, but these guys seem to beg to be in a full Spyderedge. Those who have them, what say you?
SG89

Re: Cricket

Post by SG89 »

I suggest serrated. I have a PE cricket that I reground to a sheep's foot style. Other people hate it but I love it. I have the FRN cricket.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think SE is more useful and easy to keep functionally sharp.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think I would lean toward the SE now, as a good companion for the usual PE EDC. I think their main use is probably opening boxes and envelopes, and I would guess they work equally well for that? --haven't really tried SE very much for that. The SE would be handy for the occasional cord or vine cutting.

I went for the black nishijin plane edge, to go with my nishijin R. At that time I just liked the looks of the PE a little better. I think it's an engineering marvel, with its tiny standoffs and Reeve Integral Lock--works like a steel trap. It's so small and sharp I was a little leery of lefty one-handed closing at first, but soon learned a safe way to do it. (I have two hands, thank heavens -- just like one-handed closing, lol)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the black nishijin PE version as well. I love it. My opinion on edges is extremely biased. I dislike serrations so there is my answer. If you like serrations then it does seem like a good platform for them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I, as well dislike serrations, so my cricket is PE. In plain edge, it's a good knife for small tasks, especially with the point.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I own a PE one, but seeing how most people's edc is PE, an SE would make for a great backup when needed!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I like the SE version more. It is easier for me to keep sharp than the PE one.

Both are handy little guys.
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

Got to be serrated
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Love my SE cricket. Never had the PE but the SE handles like a much larger knife. Love the ruggedness of the SE.
Studey

Post by Studey »

Had to go with SE! Needed some teeth!
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have the PE black nishijin. It makes a great money clip and that pointy tip comes in handy when you get one those dang coffee cup lids with a vent hole that's too small. It's also great for opening packages, cutting strings and other light weight tasks. I don't see how the SE blade would be better for my uses. YMMV
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

Both of mine are PE (SS/VG10 and FRN/ATS55), as is my wifes (SS/VG10)

I am not a huge SE fan though, so i am a little biased.
what are you going to be using it for ? That may drive the edge type more than what we all think.....
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Echo63 wrote:Both of mine are PE (SS/VG10 and FRN/ATS55), as is my wifes (SS/VG10)

I am not a huge SE fan though, so i am a little biased.
what are you going to be using it for ? That may drive the edge type more than what we all think.....
Agreed, intended use would help regarding a recommendation for either PE or SE. I tend to prefer SE on my reverse S style blades, but that's just me. :) My wife has one of the elusive Pink Crickets (SE and ATS-55) that I gave to her while we were dating.
Great little big knife.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JT

Post by JT »

PE for me, thanks I like the SS, and just keep the FRN in my safe.
Meerkat reverse edge with the PE is my favourite though... ;)
Same blade, but bigger handle. One of my all time favourites. Just waiting for Sal to release a sprint with the rev-S blade in VG-10 :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.