The Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skidoosh

The Sal

Post by Skidoosh »

You are tasked with creating a knife to honor Sal Glesser- what design would you come up with?
SpyderNut

Re: The Sal

Post by SpyderNut »

I like this idea. Would this be for a birthday gift for Sal?

As for designs, I'd probably lean toward something Stretch-like, but with a modified blade (as found on the last model at the bottom of tap78's list, below). Maybe add the refined back-lock from the Native5. For blade steel, I'd go with ZDP-189, Super Blue, or even 52100. For handle material, I'd say zirconium bolsters, titanium liners, and African Snakewood scales.
tap78 wrote:I did once a comparison of a different blade shape for stretch...Thats my prototypes created in photoshop...original photo credited to GARY (http://www.garysdigitalphotography.com)

:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wow, that sheepsfoot blade on the top 5 above is amazing. I would love to see that blade in a production Spyderco.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

The Caly 4
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The Spyderco Worker II.

To this day it's a design with a lot of potential.
A new and improved version with different bladesteel, maybe a little bit larger, fine tuned ergo's and a fancy handle material. Ti bolsters with ironwood/burl or something :)
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:The Caly 4
I like the sound of that. For Sal it has to be a backlock. I wonder what a wharnie Caly 3 would be like with bolsters
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Military 2 with a refined shorter handle and tip up/down carry holes.Let's not forget the blade steel: K390 of course.Sal deserves the best.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like the blade styles of 2,3,4 from the bottom as they are classic Sal styles. Take a blade like that at 3.5" and put it in a Native 5 frame and handle.

Or, a PM4, 3.5" drop point blade like 4 from the bottom. Make the scales out of CTec or some modern interesting material.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Another idea would be a Manbug 2. It should have bolsters, dark gray or dark indigo blue G10 scales, and a 2.4" blade in the same Manbug style. The ultimate pocket knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd do just what he does and ask for his input.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jazz wrote:I'd do just what he does and ask for his input.
Sounds like a good plan. He does a great job of honoring himself and his company everyday with his designs and the way he conducts himself.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I would have to go with a design that completely and totally replicates the Titanium Chaparral, which I personally feel is Sal's greatest design and one which I could not improve upon. A great little knife all around and a tribute to the designer himself. Also my personal choice in a pocketknife.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Pm2. Full ti frame lock, fluted scales, blade shape like the stretch, S110V steel.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

+1
Caly 3.5 blade, stretch handle slightly contoured, low riding wire clip = almost perfection
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sully

Post by Sully »

I'd check with Eric. I'm sure Sal gets an extra smile whenever he sees Eric's designer mark on a Spyderco. Especially one designed specifically for him.

Caly 3.5 –– with all of Sal's (unspoken) favorite materials –– might do the trick too.
“Damned infernal gizmo. My kingdom for a left-handed can opener!" — Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

Thank you, Mr. Sal Glesser ... and Mrs. Gail Glesser![/b][/color]
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

bh49 wrote:
+1
Caly 3.5 blade, stretch handle slightly contoured, low riding wire clip = almost perfection

I like this a lot, along with many of the other ideas!

Military might be another great platform, which I have often seen Sal mention...

I can't help but think of how Sal is a modest man from what I can tell (having never met him), though, and may not ever ask for such a thing...

To me, every knife that has ever graced the Spyderco line-up has been in honor of Mr. Sal Glesser! :spyder:
Going back to Caly.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I think I'd go personal, figuring if he wanted it, he'd have made it already. So I'd probably go with a mule of some sort, and try to make some really cool 1 off scales, ( I stress the "try" only made 4 so far...getting better..) but if it were to be a production knife, it would have to be the ULTIMATE Spydie so it would be very much like the Nirvana, but I'd have to think of some way to make it better..that would be the hard part.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'm pretty sure the manbug was designed as his pet project, although now that i think about it, it doesn't have his signature.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

My pick would by a caly 3 and chaparral type cross. A three inch blade with the awesome ergos of the caly 3, but the thinner grind and pin-style backlock of the chaparral. Maybe in something in a natural handle material like ebony or cocobolo, and s35vn
BTG

Post by BTG »

araneae wrote:I'm pretty sure the manbug was designed as his pet project, although now that i think about it, it doesn't have his signature.
I'm not really sure when the Manbug was designed, only been a spyder nut for about 3 years, but I thought I saw somewhere on this forum that Sal didn't put a makers mark on his designs until Eric also started designing...it was assumed Sals unless a collaboration until that point.