Question for Sal and Spyderco .

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Re: Question for Sal and Spyderco .

Post by paladin »

Surfingringo wrote: I get the performance of a straight spine at the tip without all that extra steel further back along the spine, thereby keeping the blade less wide. Ahem...I think its a little less ugly too. Sorry Sal, no offense intended. :o
Remove the remnants of the Stretch hump and go full on Dyad, like our oft-referenced Gary W. Graley mod below :cool: :spyder:

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

paladin wrote:
Surfingringo wrote: I get the performance of a straight spine at the tip without all that extra steel further back along the spine, thereby keeping the blade less wide. Ahem...I think its a little less ugly too. Sorry Sal, no offense intended. :o
Remove the remnants of the Stretch hump and go full on Dyad
Considered it, but I find that in my common tasks, I lose functionality with a trailing point in a folder. I've seen some of the trailing point Stretch mods and they look kind of cool, but I'm really enjoying the functionality of the current shape.

Edit: Yes, I've seen that mod that Gary did and it's very attractive. I just hate to give up that flat area of spine at the tip that lines up with the spine above the hole. I find that very useful for "edge out" cuts.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lance,

The word most often used to describe my designs has been "fugly". Easy to see what they were saying. But even an orangutan is pretty to it's mother. :p

sal
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey Sal, I've got a drawer full of nothing but your designs. If thats what they need look like in order to work so **** well then bring on the fugly!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Sal,

On blade shape. Can you explain the utility factor of dropping the spine after the hole and raising it again as a hump nearing tip? I don't recall reading it anywhere the background.

I admit the look is what have been holding me back until recently I got a used FRN VG10 Stretch that comes with extra wooden scale.

After using it for a while, the most impressive about Stretch is how the handle 'helps' the hand having secure grip/handling in various grips without having to grip very tight. The blade shape is also versatile (about the cutting edge and where the point is). The spine didn't have any effect to my use, so I'm at loss at trying to understand the use of this particular spine form. I also think a straight one will be more like a paramilitary, but straight with dip will be more like 'overweight' :p Endura?

Now onto handle (and probably G10 S2). Since I have the wooden scale (nice & fits well to the nested liner, I found the primarily the handle shape along the spine & belly are what mostly helps in various grip. However, the wooden scale doesn't have the rounding effect like the FRN, especially around the spine where thumb rests, and index finger. This smooth transition build into the FRN and overall slightly thicker handle (FRN is thicker) results in a much more comfortable grip than the wooden one. So when I feel fanciful, I'd put the wooden scale on. Otherwise, the robust FRN is ready to serve.

I'm guessing here, the new G10 ZDP will be seen as higher price but less comfortable in actual use due to lacking the contour and don't forget the excellent bi-directional texture. In the buyer mind, it's more attractive to get the FRN ZDP. Perhaps having the FRN with VG10 and G10 with ZDP will help the G10 sale?
Chris :spyder:
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

anagarika wrote:Sal,

On blade shape. Can you explain the utility factor of dropping the spine after the hole and raising it again as a hump nearing tip? I don't recall reading it anywhere the background.
Hi Chris, I'm not Sal and I am anxious to hear his thoughts on this but in the meantime I will offer a couple of my own.

One of the main benefits of a drop point is that it prevents the tip from unintentionally catching or piercing the material being cut. This is one reason why people like them for processing game. It is easier not to accidentally pierce internal organs for example. Another benefit is a slightly wider and stronger tip.

As you noted, the Stretch has a slightly less common take on the drop point. Instead of the whole length of the spine gradually dropping to the point, the stretch drops and then runs somewhat parallel to the edge for a ways and then drops abruptly at the very tip. This accomplishes the same goal but also leaves the blade profile significantly thinner (from spine to edge). That type of tip is a welcome feature for certain tasks but not one I care for in an EDC knife. I prefer a knife with some flat area at the tip so that I can pierce material and then push the spine along the material, cutting through whatever is wrapped around it. (imagine skinning a fish or animal or cutting heavy plastic wrapping off of a container).

Now to the effect that the spine has on blade width; notice in this photo how the Stretch and PM2 have essentially the same blade but the Stretch has had the spine "hollowed out" leaving it with a narrower blade profile?

This is a feature that I like very much. Many folks on here like a wide leaf shaped blade and I understand the attraction. Along with many other advantages, the more acute primary bevel on a wider blade means less resistance when slicing. There are drawbacks to excessive blade width too though. The biggest one for me is that it is very difficult to make curved cuts with a wide blade. The narrower the blade, the tighter arc you can make in a cut. The Stretch, for example is going to be a more capable blade for something like coring an apple than the Manix or even the Paramilitary 2.

So for me, the curves in the spine of the Stretch are a double edged sword. From a functional standpoint, I very much like the initial drop off after the opening hole which makes the entire blade more narrow. On the other hand, I found the abrupt drop point at the tip to be too extreme for my typical uses. That was fixed in a half hour with some sandpaper and now I am left with a blade shape that is really the best of both worlds for me. I've got a blade that is similar to the paramilitary 2 that is a bit narrower yet still has a nice acute point with a flat area for making the type of "edge out" cuts like in the picture above.

Ok, sorry for the long rant (especially when you didn't even ask me anything :rolleyes: ). It was not my goal to imply that the Stretch has any faults or to describe what it "should" be. I was just doing my best to describe what it is and describe how I made some subtle changes that made it fit my specific uses much better. I'm so glad I finally gave this design a chance. It has become my preferred EDC.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I must be in the minority that finds the Stretch and semi skinner blades attractive.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Jazz wrote:I must be in the minority that finds the Stretch and semi skinner blades attractive.
Hi Jazz, when you say attractive, do you mean aesthetically or functionally? If functionally, what do you gain with this type of design in your typical usage? I understand what some of the benefits could be, I'm just curious to hear your perspective.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Hey Lance,

Thank you for taking the time & share your use case & view! Very interesting and as heavy user, you do have valid points. I didn't think at all about narrower blade profile in use, mainly because I never core my apples, split into quarters and then remove the core from each ;).

I just checked, it's approx 3mm width difference between straight spine to the last hump and current setup. But then, if we compare, Endura also managed to be quite slim in these regards, perhaps by having smaller hole.

Let's hear what the designer says :thumbup: :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

anagarika wrote:Hey Lance,

Thank you for taking the time & share your use case & view! Very interesting and as heavy user, you do have valid points. I didn't think at all about narrower blade profile in use, mainly because I never core my apples, split into quarters and then remove the core from each ;).

I just checked, it's approx 3mm width difference between straight spine to the last hump and current setup. But then, if we compare, Endura also managed to be quite slim in these regards, perhaps by having smaller hole.

Let's hear what the designer says :thumbup: :)
Yes, I hope so! I always enjoying hearing about the thought behind various designs.

And for the record, the only thing I ever cut apples with is my teeth. :D I just couldn't think of a better example.
sal

Post by sal »

The Stretch is an evolutionary development that began with the "hunter' model (CO3 circa 1983). It has gone through a number of refinements over the years and is still in that process. As Lance mentioned, processing game is the major advantage. We have been told by a few avid hunters that the Stretch is the best knife they've ever used for processing game. Other advantages from my point of view; easier to change direction in the middle of a cut with the narrower blade, easier to locate a finger on the spine for closer control, less weight, legal where the blade length limit has been lowered to 3.5", a little more of a handful when in use. The new lite weight Stretch will have the same changes on the current G-10 model which was made as a test bed before changing the molds.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:The new lite weight Stretch will have the same changes on the current G-10 model which was made as a test bed before changing the molds.

sal
Any idea of when the Stretch 2 LW might make it to production? I've been considering picking up a FRN Stretch but might just have to wait until the new version comes out.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Surfingringo wrote:
Jazz wrote:I must be in the minority that finds the Stretch and semi skinner blades attractive.
Hi Jazz, when you say attractive, do you mean aesthetically or functionally? If functionally, what do you gain with this type of design in your typical usage? I understand what some of the benefits could be, I'm just curious to hear your perspective.
I guess both. I really love their looks, and find the blade shape all around useful. Of course, a wharnie for cutting cardboard etc. would be swell. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Jazz,

So a wharnie stretch rather than wharnie delica?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Greetings from Australia fellows! This is my very first post. I hope I'm not butting in, so here goes. I like to hunt and would like to try a folder to use on game from rabbits to small deer, hence my interest in the Stretch.

I don't own one nor have I handled one, yet. The last deer I dressed out was a Fallow, a small animal around 80kg. I used a Gerber Pixie (I bought new around 1984) to do everything except split the brisket, which I did with a Dexter Russell, 5" curved boner.

Of all the various folders I have and those I've seen the Stretch seems like it would do the work of both the fixed blades I just mentioned and I could carry it in my pocket. I find the knife authentically pleasing and it seems to get better than average reviews.

I'm about to buy one and would love to hear from anyone who has used one in the field.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Bloke wrote:Greetings from Australia fellows! This is my very first post. I hope I'm not butting in, so here goes. I like to hunt and would like to try a folder to use on game from rabbits to small deer, hence my interest in the Stretch.

I don't own one nor have I handled one, yet. The last deer I dressed out was a Fallow, a small animal around 80kg. I used a Gerber Pixie (I bought new around 1984) to do everything except split the brisket, which I did with a Dexter Russell, 5" curved boner.

Of all the various folders I have and those I've seen the Stretch seems like it would do the work of both the fixed blades I just mentioned and I could carry it in my pocket. I find the knife authentically pleasing and it seems to get better than average reviews.

I'm about to buy one and would love to hear from anyone who has used one in the field.
Hey Bloke, first of all, welcome to the forum. I have used my Stretch on all kinds of stuff, including cleaning fish, but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to clean any deer or rabbit with it. I can offer you this though. I've used a lot of knives and I've cleaned a ton of those two animals with other knives, (along with thousands of squirrel). You are going to be very happy with the Stretch. It has a pretty ideal blade length, a comfortable handle, and the shape and belly of the blade is very well executed for a skinner. In the picture above, it looks almost identical to the paramilitary, but its not. The Stretch has a bit more of a flowing belly throughout the edge that makes it a real winner as a hunting knife. The standard version comes in vg10 which is a solid performer, easy to sharpen and has excellent corrosion resistance. You will enjoy the knife!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bloke,

Welcome t our forum.

sal
tap78

Post by tap78 »

I did once a comparison of a different blade shape for stretch...Thats my prototypes created in photoshop...original photo credited to GARY (http://www.garysdigitalphotography.com)

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow that's cool tap78
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Wow that's cool tap78
Agreed. I like the first few quite well. I also like the ones with the "Delica" blade. Nice work!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal