Your "odd" hobbies?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DutchBlades

Your "odd" hobbies?

Post by DutchBlades »

I think we can agree on our love for knives raising an eyebrow or two over the years... :rolleyes:
But there are a lot of other hobbies most people won't get the first time they see it.

Most of us have more than one hobby, but they might not all be part of the common hobbies.
Ofcourse I have some common hobbies like hiking, fishing, instruments, and painting.
But then there are things like my puzzle cubes, geocaching, reptiles or my girlfriend and her hundreds of nail polishes :p
How about yourself?

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Re: Your "odd" hobbies?

Post by Evil D »

I don't think I have anything too out of the ordinary. Everything I collect are things that are pretty commonly collected, like '80s toys for example. I have a bunch of squished pennies from those penny souvenir machines. Probably the weirdest thing I have are a couple animal skulls that I've painted...I like to make art out of non art type things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Evil D wrote:I don't think I have anything too out of the ordinary. Everything I collect are things that are pretty commonly collected, like '80s toys for example. I have a bunch of squished pennies from those penny souvenir machines. Probably the weirdest thing I have are a couple animal skulls that I've painted...I like to make art out of non art type things.
Those skulls sound like they could look pretty amazing!
Have some pictures of them to share?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DutchBlades wrote:
Evil D wrote:I don't think I have anything too out of the ordinary. Everything I collect are things that are pretty commonly collected, like '80s toys for example. I have a bunch of squished pennies from those penny souvenir machines. Probably the weirdest thing I have are a couple animal skulls that I've painted...I like to make art out of non art type things.
Those skulls sound like they could look pretty amazing!
Have some pictures of them to share?

Only of one, a deer skull. The other is a cat skull but it's nothing special, just painted with glow in the dark paint.

It's a bit macabre but it seemed like a good idea at the time LOL.
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I don't think it's an odd hobby but my current time consuming hobby is making these guys...
image.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I enjoy restoring old or odd\cool knives

I should take before pics lol

I've restores dozens of knives but I'm not the best at remberimg to get pics. Exspecally if there not my knifes

I got many more pics but I'm got to lay down

I'm going to add a PS and if I shouldn't post it Staff please remove it or tell me and I will

PS. I'm sick and unemployed so I got plenty of time to restore some spyders if you all got some loved ones that need TLC. I could use both the cash and something productive to do

Thanks
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

The skull looks pretty nice! It might be a little macabre to some, but atleast it now serves another use apart from just laying there in the dirt!

And JAfromMN, what's the worst condition knife you've managed to restore and do you do mods?
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Does airsoft count as odd?....Buncha grown men, playing dress up and shooting toy guns at each other...Yeah, we're odd :)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Making things, different things...

Trailer

D2 steel at 60
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

demoncase wrote:Does airsoft count as odd?....Buncha grown men, playing dress up and shooting toy guns at each other...Yeah, we're odd :)
I play airsoft too! Haven't started our season here yet though, soon...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Flashlights, making copper bracelets, and knives. All fairly odd :). I'm buying a turbo Miata this summer too to keep things interesting :p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Blerv wrote:Flashlights, making copper bracelets, and knives. All fairly odd :). I'm buying a turbo Miata this summer too to keep things interesting :p
Just drop an LS in it. You know you want to :D
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:
Blerv wrote:Flashlights, making copper bracelets, and knives. All fairly odd :). I'm buying a turbo Miata this summer too to keep things interesting :p
Oh of course. It's just that $20-30k to do it right that stands in my way. :D
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

DutchBlades wrote:
And JAfromMN, what's the worst condition knife you've managed to restore and do you do mods?
I can restore just about anything I've done a few I couldn't even open. Some just take time

And I will do some mods but nothing larger now. I work out of my office .

Pm me I don't want to stall a good topic
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Some people might think knife collecting is kind of odd. :D

I was once into flashlights, this is kind of odd.
I bicycle, work on cars, do some photography but those are all fairly mainstream hobbies.
I do a little computer programming, that's somewhat rare.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

spyderg wrote:
demoncase wrote:Does airsoft count as odd?....Buncha grown men, playing dress up and shooting toy guns at each other...Yeah, we're odd :)
We play year round in the UK.... Here's me Namming it :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

demoncase wrote:
spyderg wrote:
We play year round in the UK.... Here's me Namming it :D
Nice! Here in Winnipeg Canada, -40celcius winters make it hard to get anyone out to play! We've done a few winter games, makes it kinda easy to track ppl down in 3' of snow however! We start playing once my buds property dries out and we get around to fixing all our stuff that broke last season and we put off fixing all winter when we actually had time to do it, lol!
harronek

Post by harronek »

It's a coincidence that this thread is in a Spyderco forum , because Spyderco is the reason I've given up my only real hobby , leather sheath making .
When I started carrying Spyderco's with pocket clips ( never really had knives with pocket clips before ) it soon became obvious that the practice of having to carry a knife in a belt sheath was redundant .
So game over for my hobby .

Thanks Spyderco. :)

Ken
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Blerv wrote:
Evil D wrote:
there's a drop-in kit to put a Honda V6 in the Miata... much cheaper, doesn't change the cars handling and still gets you around 300hp!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

awa54 wrote:
Blerv wrote:
Evil D wrote:
there's a drop-in kit to put a Honda V6 in the Miata... much cheaper, doesn't change the cars handling and still gets you around 300hp!

I'm pretty sure you still get near 50/50 when you put in a beefed up rear end in there. You could also go all out and get an aluminum engine block and save a bunch of weight. In the end the power and torque are well worth it.
~David